FansToys FT-08 Grinder (Masterpiece Grimlock)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by wildfly, Jun 4, 2015.

1. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Me thinks you missed the gist of my post, but very eye-opening nonetheless lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. raptor22

raptor22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome... to Jurassic Park.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  3. astrotrain1975

astrotrain1975 Space Choo Choo 4 Life!

You're killing me. Must not spend anymore money right now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. I'm done for the month. But next month it's back on like Donkey Kong.

• Like Like x 1
  5. banjoted

banjoted Timelord TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  6. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got my Grinder in from GCI Toys, and WOW is he amazing (also very happy to have the new faces, and I LOVE the new Swoop face although I do need to paint the Swoop's eyes red at the very least)
    Really loving this team^^

7. botfan

botfan Enter- Hospitality Botfan

What gay or bi men do in the privacy of their own homes is none of my business. More power to you and the other members on the board that seem to take a fancy to the subject. Just not my thing.

Anyway, back to a totally non-sexual comparison of FT-08 and MP-08. To me it seems the chest on FT-08 doesn't quite hit the G1 note, but it could be in a good way. The chest on MP-08 is more toon accurate; it also makes the figure look less impressive compared to FT-08. This could be a case where artistic license wins out and having a bigger chest makes the figure more MP? I'm not sure, I'll need to evaluate him in-hand to see if it fits. Either way, he does look great in both bot and dino mode.

8. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    why does this look better

9. Crom

Crom Well-Known Member

Is there an alternate dino head for Grindr? I don't care at all for that profile.

10. astrotrain1975

astrotrain1975 Space Choo Choo 4 Life!

Apparently a toon accurate head is in production. The dino head doesn't really bother me but I seem to be in the minority.

11. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay Flash Sale
    $15 off $75
    CSAVE15OFFMARCH
    Expires 3/20/2017 8PM PT/11PM EST

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crom

Crom Well-Known Member

I just don't understand why they'd change it when in other elements they seem to be striving for cartoon and/or toy accuracy. That head is neither.

• Like Like x 1
  13. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So they can squeeze more moolah out of FanaTics. And the later would be too glad to pay. Think of it as a membership fee.

• Like Like x 2
  14. botfan

SO SO AWESOME!! I just got the last grinder from bababobo, while he was running a 5$ off special, on an already discounted price of $178. Total, $158 shipped! So stoked right now :D !

• Like Like x 4
  15. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

That's just dumb. They would risk a large volume of potential sales to sell a very limited number of g1 heads? Sometimes I think people on this board just don't think.

16. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    FanaTics don't think. That's why there's no risk. Btw it's the same for even the TT fanboys. For me, whenever I see a cash grab attempt, I just wait till the price drops enough so that even if the add on is factored into the equation, it's still at the price I find acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

No, I'm saying your reasoning is illogical. You don't risk a large number of sales in order to sell a limited number of heads after the fact. If you stopped to think about it the numbers don't add up. BTW, the name calling doesn't impress.

Here's the real reason, according to things dalianjj said and based on the history of this forum:

When FTs originally announced Grinder to the retailers, FTS was told that a product that was too close to MP-08 couldn't be sold. That lead to this design being put forth:

[​IMG]

When this was leaked to the board, it led to much gnashing of teeth on this forum and presumably on others. And rightfully so. This design deviated substantially from a G1 toon look that so many customers desired. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of posts of people trying to fix this line art. Many images were posted of other pieces of art and screen shots that depicted various iterations of an acceptable G1 Grimlock that still varied from MP-08. One of them was the image in my profile pic, which I believe is a major influence for Grinder in his bot mode. Here's the full image (note the crown and other detailing that we find on the final figure):

[​IMG]

Compare the line art to the final product:

[​IMG]

Contrary to common belief, FTs doesn't only rely on the toon for its inspiration. They often draw on other sources for detailing and other aspects of their figures. For example, there is evidence that they used some comic influence for Spotter. Now, we hadn't seen the dino mode at this point. But we know that FTs was deliberately attempting to stay at least a little away from MP-08, with its 86 movie inspired head. And I think they started looking at other depictions. A quick search of "Grimlock art" will turn up all sorts, including many with more real t-rex inspired heads.

The final design for Grinder's dino head seems to be a mix of S1 Grimlock (it's still simple like that), G1 toy, real t-rex, and various artistic depictions of Grimlock. In fact the head, while large, isn't that off from S1/S2 Grimlock. Again, FTs doesn't do straight toon. They do an updated toon look with heroic proportions, sort of like Hasui did with MP-10. See Tesla, Grinder, Phoenix, etc. So a S1 inspired head that is made more ferocious is in keeping with their design aesthetic.

Still, many people weren't satisfied with Grinder's current head. The most common complaint for Grinder, aside from perhaps that people had MP-08 and didn't necessarily want to upgrade, was that the head looked off. So a few months ago, after post after post after post of people saying they wouldn't buy the figure because the head looked wrong, dalianjj came on and said that they would produce a G1 head. There was much rejoicing. A few weeks after that he said that it wouldn't be included in the box, as they couldn't meet the production schedule, and that they would sell it after release like they did with the smoke Scoria head.

So maybe it's a cash grab, but I find that unlikely given the potential loss of sales and the history. How many people passed on Grinder altogether because of the head? How many even know about the replacement option if they aren't on a forum? More likely FTs produced a head that they thought was good and enough people responded negatively that they felt compelled to react in order to sell their figure.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  18. botfan

Wait, you want the price the drop so that you can buy one, but you're calling FT collectors FanaTics? Something doesn't add up here...

So true on FT taking the same creative liberties that Hasui took. Phoenix is a great example and will fit in perfectly with the early post MP-10 stuff.

I like that FT listens to fans and does everything they can to satisfy their requests. It has worked out amazing so far and we end up getting figures as close to perfect as we can expect for the MP line. A new head is a total bonus and I'll be buying whatever it's packed with, since I'm sure that figure will be awesome also. FT is able to hit the nail on the head with each release because they're not scared to take multiple swings. If the first render is garbage, they accept feedback and come back with something very much improved. That's why I'm able to feel confident that I'll be picking up their future releases, and any accessories they're packed with.

All that being said, Tesla was a total miss. Soliciting fan feedback and applying it to their designs was a business practice FT copied from GP. It was working well for GP and FT knew that was the way to get fan support, and I applaud them for reacting so quickly to changing market demands. It's driving all of their current success, along with some extremely talented design talent working for them now. Unfortunately, Tesla did not benefit from this new approach and there are still awesome designs in that thread from Zambot that could have been the Tesla we got if FT was willing to make changes then.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  19. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    No my reasoning is not illogical. I still don't get about "risking a large number of sales". FanaTics will buy FT's figures no matter what and will find faults with the official figures no matter how it looks if there's an FT equivalent. That line has been crossed a LONG time ago. At this point, the only FanaTic that perhaps still has a little bit of reason left is Bobby Skullface. The rest will toe the line.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CETERUS PRIME

CETERUS PRIME Well-Known Member

I haven't purchased all of FansToys figures and I really do love their creations, just some characters are not a necessity like others. I will say that all of the ones I did buy are second to none in my opinion compared to the competition, but that's just my opinion.