FansProject XFire-02A Explorer and XFire-02B Munitioner Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by daelite20, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Shouldn't this be moved to the new Third Party Review section?

2. jimmynguyen41

jimmynguyen41 aka Special Agent JiMMeRz

News Credits:
    lucky i found mines for $4.98 clearance!

3. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what would be a good asking price for just the parts to make bruticus ? not including explorer and munitioner just the combining parts and such.

4. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Whats the difference in price between Munitioner+Explorer compared to Warcry+Flameblast?

I mean even though the crossfire bots are painted to resemble Swindle and Blastoff, those combiner bits and weapons is what MAKES this set so sought after.

Anyways...

I have a couple new configurations for the combaticons that I wanted to share.

First off, a new config for Vortex...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A simple little twist on FP's original design.

Instead of using both missle pods I just used the one that attaches Vortex to Onslaught in combined mode. I detached the shoulder joint/missle pod from Vortex in armmode and flipped it around so the missles were facing forward, then folded Vortex's legs up as intended in his altmode. It keeps the silhouette fairly similar to the Hasbro design, with the addition of the "half shotguns" attached as skids as in FP's design.

I also like it because it takes his armaments down a notch to match up better with Munitioner and Explorer. One of the common complaints was that FP's two limb-bots were kind of "light" on armaments when compared to the FP-ized Hasbro limb-bots. Now only Onslaught and Brawl are really yoked up, and I think that kinda fits better.

Of course, you still have the option of adding the other two halves of the shotguns if you want to beef Vortex up more. Like so...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, here is my favorite part from the reprolabels set for the combaticons...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A simple little round sticker to cover up those hideous jelly beans on Vortex and Brawl!

And if you were wondering, here's where the other missle pod ended up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with Explorer...

[​IMG]

...and a couple in launch pad mode. Since I think it doesn't get enough love.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of Munitioner since he is feeling left out. You can kinda see the little $ sign I stuck on him...

[​IMG]

And finally, a group shot. Everybody smile!

[​IMG]

5. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    I rather like the Launch Pad configuration. It's a thow back to how I used "Onslaught's" basemode (& the excess combiner kibble, creatively) w/ Ruination.

In fact, when they appeared for their Review in my Funny, they were in Lauch/ Base Configuration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

& since none of the reviews I had seen up to that point covered the Base/ Launch configuration, I made sure to review it. :D 

[​IMG]

Including some comparisons to Mega Octane (I have a salvaged Onslaught, but he's incomplete. He does appear in a few shots of comparisons of vehicle mode):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might as well include my shot of 2 generations of Combaticons in Base Mode:

[​IMG]

6. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Nicely done KP!

7. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure I posted these earlier in the thread, but if anyone else wants to check out my Review, here're the links. (they've since been changed to POST tags, to allow any setting to go to the right post):

Chapter 1: The Review (of FansProject's Crossfire 02 A & B: Bruticus Upgrade Kit) Update 6: Back at Base | Update 7: The Review Part 1: Gathering | Update 8: The Review Part 2: Accessories | Update 9: The Review Part 3: Who Goes First? | Update 10: The Review Part 4: The Last Combaticon | Update 11: The Reveiw Part 5: Bruticus!

The review is spread out over several updates in my comic.

Anyone interested in reading the whole comic, there is a Chapter ZERO. Just follow the link in my Sig. I have an Update breakdown w/ links.

8. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Is there any secret to attaching the backpack with the guns???

It looks like I have everything transformed right but no matter what I do its just an inch off from connecting to both pegs.

9. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you pulled/slid them all the way out? (on each side that is)

10. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    Looking at the below pic, from my review, I think you may have "Onslaught's" arms positioned wrong. This shows how the arms should be positioned. It's impossible for there to be an inch difference unless you seriously did something wrong:

[​IMG]

Also, the backpack can come loose. I found using a lot of force tends to secure them better.

11. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Overall, I have to admit that these bots have really grown on me. Except for the Brawl mold, I really like their artuculation and design. Sure they aren't dead ringers for their G1 selves, but they're pretty fun non the less. Especially when you pile all of the FP weapons onto them.

I really dig the looks of Onslaught here when he is loaded up with weapons the way I have him here. The head sculpt has grown on me. The double barreled cannon is really cool, and you can attach the other guns and stuff onto it in many different ways. I even gave him some missle clusters from a Macross 1/48 scale Valkyrie. It's great because the fit in altmode, botmode and on Brut too!
    [​IMG]

I really dig Vortex here. His paint apps (especially on his head) and posability are pretty sweet. I did give him a black four bladed rotor which no longer colapses, but looks much more bitchin if you ask me. Same for his tail rotor. As for Brawl, what can I say? I did change the guns from the other halves of Brut's shotguns to the "hand cannons" that used to attach to Onslaught's altmode. I think they look better on his altmode than the other guns did, so they stick with him in botmode as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two are just works of engineering genious as far as I'm concered. The articulation gives such awesome posability it is just ridiculous. There headsculpts might be my favorite parts. I ended up grabbing a pair of boosters/holsters from FP Flameblast, painted them black and gave them to Explorer (Blastoff). They add a lot to both his altmode and botmode. The added pistols are great too. Also I figured out a way to mount his sword on his back. Always bugged me a bit that there was no storage for it in botmode. And for Munitioner (Swindle), I gave him a shoulder mounted gun that attaches to the stock gun that he already came with when in altmode. I also give him Brut's bigass sniper rifle, folded in half so he can better manage it in botmode.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the obligatory group shot of course.
    [​IMG]

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^Yeah I really dig the way Onslaught and Vortex look. Brawl is decentish.

13. Woodclaw

Woodclaw Sargebot

Ebay:
    How did you clip the "hand cannons" on Brawl that way. I've tried for months and always failed.

14. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    It's been explained before, so I'll show you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They use the tab the knife can be stored on & wedge it into the holes for the rivets Brawl's turrets rotate around.

While I was recreating that, I discovered 2 other ways to store the "missile fists" on Brawl. The first one is by using the slots in Brawl's shoulders & the tabs that are used to hold Bruticus' left wrist together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How:
    [​IMG]
    Additional pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Due to how the fists are held together, the missile pods are off set:
    [​IMG]

The other, trying to find a way that didn't use connection tabs, is to attach them to the largest gap on the insides of Brawl's treads using the same tabs as earlier, for the knife. I advise against this, as it makes him back heavy, & also I found cracks in the transparent joints (where the screws are) for Brawl's tread cape (no way to know if the extra weight caused it or if it's something I hadn't noticed from earlier; doesn't appear to be causing any issues, as the cape is still as tight as it ever was):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, I didn't think to take a pic of the inside of the tread cape, but I'm sure you all can figure out the placement (very few of the gaps appear to even fit the tab).

Pic quality is from using a cell camera & improvised lighting.

15. cylor

cylor Well-Known Member

What really bothers my of Onslaught is how Bruticus' head is showing from his backpack. Did you find some way to hide it?

16. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    Here's how I do the backpack (from my review; note, the side panel is open to show how it's folded up):

[​IMG]

It really isn't much of an isuse. The only bit of the head visible is the chin, & you never see that unless you're looking for it. (I don't think I have an overhead shot yet.)

*edit* I do have shots from the side & back w/ the shoulder pods on, though:
    [​IMG]
    (For those who don't read the TFW Funnies, the MMS is a cross-comic/ multiversal investigation/ law enforcement-type agency, lead by Shinkis.)

17. Woodclaw

Woodclaw Sargebot

Ebay:
    Thanks a lot.

18. cylor

cylor Well-Known Member

Thank you, as soon as I get home I will try your configuration :thumbs2: 

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly just pop mine off the joint and put it away somewhere.

20. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Did you mean you like the way Onslaught and Vortex look overall, or the way I loaded them up with weapons? Either way, I have to agree with you on all three counts.

KP gots it right. Don't know if I was the first one to config Brawl's weapons like this, but I posted it early on and haven't changed him since.

I do the same as Bountyan. I detach the head and store it in Onslaught's backpack. It leaves a nice platform for a place to store one of the missle clusters I added from the 1/48 Macross Valkyrie.