FansProject XFire-01 Superion Appendage Add-On Kit Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by EvaleSuperion, Jul 12, 2009.

1. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Mahalos bruddah BG!

Sounds like sound reasoning to me.

2. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once the TFC Super Ion figure pops up for pre-order, I'd imagine that the Energon and RotF Superion sets will start going cheap. If you shop around, you can pick up an Energon set right now for under $50 if you're willing to acquire the bots one at a time. I've got a second Treadshot coming for my son at $8.00 plus shipping, and Stormjet pops up on Ebay alone all the time for well under $15.00.

If you try to buy them all at once though, expect to pay an additional bonus for that. Think reverse retail. At retail you get the boxed set for a break, in the secondary market a complete team is much more valuable.

The real wallet buster will be the Fansproject Add On kit. I got mine for right at $85.00, but that was a rare sight here. I'd expect $120.00 right now for the first edition, and possibly north of $200.00 for the Snowman. Truth is, the Energon Superion set looks awesome in either kit, so I'd go first edition.

The Process filler is the next thing you should buy, as it adds a lot of stability to the set as a whole. That comes down to the material choice on Shapeways.

Once you do have ALL of that, I'd still recommend performing two modifications. Stormjet (and his RotF/Classics alter ego Silverbolt) came from the factory with misassembled legs. It's a 15 minute fix to swap them and makes a lot of difference. I'd also suggest removing the rear landing gear on Treadshot and Windrazor entirely, as it allows you to go with the the better arm transformation with the FP set and use the wrist cannons.

Past that, there's Junkion kits you can buy or not buy, and Tfao has an awesome mod that others are working on that bulks up Superion nicely.

That's a lot of work, but it's worth it. I view the Energon Aerialbots team as the Transformers equivalent of the YT-1300 in the Star Wars Universe. The stock (retail) version is nothing to write home about, but the underlying infrastructure allows you to mod it into something truly legendary (the Millenium Falcon). For the real world analogy, you can use the Honda Civic. A dependable compact that can be street modded into a pretty kick tail quarter mile car.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I already have the ROTF figures and I already did the knee mod. The only problem is getting the kit by itself because almost everyone on ebay only sells it in a bundle with the ROTF/Energon figures. But for now I'll hold out and see what TFC Superion looks like, unless I can find a kit for really cheap later.

4. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree. And I like how a lot of you are differentiating the bots in this thread. I'll be doing that myself when they're out there as a team now.

And I'm seriously thinking once the TFC Super Ion starts to hit and these sets start to drop in price about picking up a second Aerialbots team and FP add on so I can display the team with the gestalt.

5. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keep checking the forum here. I see sets pop up from time to time. You can sometimes talk folks that are selling both into splitting up the FP add on from the team.

If you can, you can always buy both and then sell the extra set. If the RotF team is boxed I've seen it fetch $60 or so on ebay easily, and a complete Energon team is not far from that, even unboxed. Heck, I've seen folks sell off the original weapon set once they buy the FP set for north of $10, so that can help you recover.

Of course, all of this is likely to be a lot cheaper here in a few months anyways, so if you can wait....

6. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh yeah, before I forget, you can also using the "Hulking UP" Superion Mod in the short term if you're unhappy with how things look with the base set. It's not a difficult mod to perform, I just wasn't happy with the stability of the resulting robot. And there is an arm kit on Shapeways that looks good too. You can find it in this thread.

7. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

sorry bump an old thread but..just got one as well.

Anyone know if this is normal but the legs peg in together real tight I noticed both shoulder arms the connection box thing the tabs seem kinda loose compared to the legs. The tabs on the shoulder connector might be worn out or pushed ? tempting to take it apart to see but theres no screws?

8. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about something on the Energon bots, like where the fighter jets connect to Storm Jet/Silverbolt?