FansProject XFire-01 Superion Appendage Add-On Kit Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by EvaleSuperion, Jul 12, 2009.

1. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    upon closer investigation I've decided to pass on this kit. When I finally got a proper Treadshot and assembled the figure full I like the way he looks just fine. Seems like a waste of $50+ to get a new set of hands and feet that limit his diversity and forces his appearance to be symetrical. It looks like highlighting the fact that the limbots are clones, at least to me.

2. abe_sapien

abe_sapien Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me to pictures showing mistransformations and therefore improved articulation?

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No extras, unfortunately. However, you can mix'n'match for a more convincing Superion.

[​IMG]

catz posted it above. You can refer to my photo as well, which shows a similar configuration.

4. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I just got my set from robot kingdom and I noticed that there are already stress marks on the small pieces that attach together to make the arm/wrist guards when you put the side on over the fin. Anyone else notice this on their set? Its really visable on the gray version that RK was selling.

5. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Yup it happened on mine too. since it's a friction based system, that's the downside to it.

But no worries man, easily fixable with a handy hair-dryer! :D 

6. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Had no stress issues with mine at all everything fits perfects not to tight or to loose anywhere.

I'm still irked I missed out on the Snowman set... I could never get TFsources website to load - it just fails to load or crashes my computer and they never answered my e-mails so I was never able to order it.

7. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got this set from Toy Arena last week after getting the Bruticus Crossfire kits first. It's a bit of a letdown from Explorer and Munitioner, but it still makes a sup-par combiner MUCH better. I'm not happy with his arms in either configuration that I've seen, so I just left them the way FP showed on the packaging (with the jet noses up).

I got it for my old Energon Superion. Don't have the Target one, and didn't figure I'd need it. The different colors don't bother me, as the gray forearms and feet seem to match Storm Jet/ Silverbolt's legs and the other robots' gray parts well enough.

The gun, the feet, and the fists with somewhat articulated fingers are awesome. I think the feet and hands are the biggest improvements. The visor was a nice little extra. Being able to do away with all those "Energon" parts was priceless.

Pics:

Boxes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Yeah, I'm a D&D geek too.)

With Bruticus:
    [​IMG]

8. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

After completing FP Bruticus I had no intention of grabbing the FP Superion kit since I didn't think it measured up to FP Brut (figuratively and literally), and since I didn't own a Superion Maximus in any of his various versions.

But since my 'Bots seemed out-gunned and were in desperate need of a combiner, and I personally think that if we do get another rendition of Superion it will be at least a couple years away, I caved and grabbed a SuperLink Superion and traded for a FP upgrade kit. And I must say that I am very happy that I did.

[​IMG]

I also ended up giving him Bludgeon's original floppy sword and dagger since he no longer needs them now. (thanks Head Robots!) Both can be stored on him (sword on his back, knife on his leg), although it is not earthquale resistant.

[​IMG]

In these next couple of pics you can see what I came up with to "boost up" his height a little so that he almost can see eye to eye with FP Brut.

First one is with a stand in head...

[​IMG]

Next one is with a replacement head from an Energon Stormjet (I must add that I soooooooooooooo much prefer the more silver-ish tone of SL Sup's head) that I grabbed...

[​IMG]

And a couple stand off pics of FP Brut and boosted up FP Sup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far it is only Lego, but the idea has been picked up by a couple of Shapeway guys, and also a fledgling 3rd Party company is currently toying with the idea as well. Here's a link to a couple threads I started about this mod if anyone would like to see more...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...561280-boosting-up-fp-superion-pic-heavy.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/requests/561581-boosting-up-fp-superion.html

If you look closely, I even came up with a better arm configuration and shaved off the tabs on the landing gear so his wrist cannons can be utilized the way FP intended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much better posability, and looks better too! Well, to me at least...

And finally, I grabbed one of the blue versions of the Infinity Warfare sets (if you noticed the blue hands in one of the pics up above) from a board member here and armed him even more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turns out that the FP hands won't be big enough to hold these, so I ended up mod'ing one of the bits included in the set to be used as adapters so that I can plug in the hands to wield the sword, or just plug the blade directly into the adapter, like so...

[​IMG]

And anothe Brut vs Sup pic just for fun

[​IMG]

All in all, it is a great set. Not as good as the one for Brut, but great none the less. If I ever get around to snapping some pics of the individual botmodes and altmodes I'll post them here.

9. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Just took some altmode shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cylor

cylor Well-Known Member

A reissue of the FP set wouldn't hurt:( 

11. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I have the original set, but I wonder if the Snowman is worth the $.

With MakeToys Giant around the corner, my wallet says no.

12. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

I did the Crossover Hulk mod and am pretty pleased with how it turned out. He's dual wielding Brut's shotguns at the moment . . .

13. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    This happened to my set the other night. The stress marks don't go all the way through, but it's noticeable. It doesn't seem like it will break, but it's a little annoying. Oh well.

14. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I've never tried it before, but I have heard that a hair dryer set on hig will make stress marks disapear.

15. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I sold my Snowman for $350.... I'd wait and hope Make Toys will come out with a Superion.

[​IMG]

16. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have Energon Superion Maximus with the grey FP add on and I'm really happy with it. The joints are good and tight and with the "mistransformed" arm configuration it looks pretty sweet.

I am waiting for the waist insert to show up from Shapeways, as his chest can be floppy. Once I have that I'll post pics. I am also kinda stalking Tfao (hi!) on the board whenever he posts about his upgrade. If that becomes available through Shapeways or a 3rd party I am on that like you would not believe.

My overall opinion on this is pretty positive.

17. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bought the Superion filler by process. You can find the thread here.

This was an excellent add on, and worked very well with the Fansproject kit. The Alt mode and Robot mode functionality did not interfere with the Fansproject add-on's at all, and has made my Superion much more stable. Awesome.

18. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

These guys are not really the greatest individual bots ever designed, but they're pretty cool little guys overall. These are all from the SuperLink version of Superion. I included the Energon names in parentheses.

I gave Bludgeon's old swords to Afterburner (Stormjet) here to go along with his stock gun. I also leave the ab filler in him in botmode to give him some added height and stability. The ab filler from process is a must if you own a SL/Energon Superion.

[​IMG]

I try to differentiate between the two identical molds, so I gave Skydive (Terradive) the two guns, just as I arm him in altmode, and for Slingshot (SkyShadow) since I use the radar dish on him in altmode, I use them as sort of hatchets/axes for melee weapons in botmode. I think these two have the weakest botmodes of the bunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the botmodes of these two guys, by far my favorites of the group. Again, I try to differentiate between these guys since they share a mold. I do this by folding up the tailfins on Firebolt (Windrazor) and leave them down on AirRider (Treadshot). Also I give AirRider a sort of over/under single gun and Firebolt gets to dual weild pistols.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, an obligatory group shot.

[​IMG]

19. beangrower

beangrower Well-Known Member

nice pics tfao. kinda want energon/superlink superion now.

20. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now I'm not even sure if I should buy this with the announcement of TFC Superion. I think I'll just hold out and see what TFC Superion looks like; hopefully people will be selling their kits because of that anyway.