FansProject TFX-01 City Commander Upgrade Set Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by zeroXII, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Just got my Add-On set today! Finally my CC feels complete. The missile launchers are like the cherry on top for this guy. The transforming gun is sweet and the interchangeable faces are a nice touch (although I still prefer the original face they gave him).

This set is a must-buy if you have the CC trailer!

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I just got my V2 City Commander with the add on kit. It's freaking awesome, but I do have one question. Does anyone know where you're supposed to put the add on gun in trailer mode? There's a peg on the side of it, but I can't find where it might go.

3. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

It mounts in the same peg hole as the missile launchers. I'm not sure whether it's possible to mount it somewhere else, as well as the missile launchers being attached.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That peg gives you the option to plug it in where one of the missile launchers go in truck mode. Otherwise, people have been plugging it in CC's exposed hand on top of the trailer, with the gun in rifle mode, or stored vertically in the trunk, wedged between the shoulders in pistol mode.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I just found out the peg also lets you strap the gun to normal magnus' back.

6. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I got my full set yesterday (CC with the add-on set) from TFSource (brilliant for the shipping speed). There's a large number of changes with this that haven't been mentioned, For one, new labels. The original label set was just different license plates. The new 09 version has just one the 'cty-cmd' plate. Theres also now decals for the BFG pieces that when in trailer mode look like running lights, and decals for the sides where the new holes are for the missiles, and for the side bottom panels. The labels are mylar and were very easy to place on, just a small amount of bubbling if not placed down flat, and are VERY durable.

The quality is still a touch on the loose side, and one of my springs actually came loose from the panel that holds part of the BFG. Simply sliding it completely back in place fixed it and its not coming out again, it just wasn't completely in there.

The UM transforming gun is PURE WIN. I honestly cannot say more about this design other than I wish we could have more weaponry like this for officially released figures. As Process mentioned, you can just keep it in place between the shoulders and it stays in place. The 'Trailer-Cannon Mode' can be used with the Powered Commander, DIA Commander, and this version. The best part is that with Classics Magnus alone, there is a slot tab that you can place the gun on UM's leg in a holster fashion. This also works well in the City Commander mode as the same panel is available. And Gryph, you are my new best friend for pointing that extra feature out with the back peg!

The shoulder rocket packs feel right on the figure, and are a little loose for the shoulder holes, but are stable enough to stay in place when posed. They can be used as well for the DIA Commander, or Powered Commander, and the best part is that they are reversible with the pegs out so that there is a slot hole to fit the original City Commander, or Shadow Commander.

The other major difference comes with the faces and the additional pegs to fill in the screw holes.

Two additional faces are included, one which looks closer to the Prime face mask version (blue eyes, face mask). It translates VERY well. The other is the same UM face as the Fansproject version, but with an open mouth. It really emphasizes the face, and makes it stand out. The head is very easy to pull up and remove, although that small tiny peg they used makes me wary of doing it too many times (there's a Radicons tutorial on how to fix that) as there seems to be mold stress marks from where it was molded, and with a less than 2CM peg, there are risks. But the face plates are very easy to interchange, and will stay firmly in place. Something I noticed too is that the faces themselves are silver, but the eyes are white.

As for the pegs, included are 6 blue pegs and 5 white pegs that you can put into the screw holes for the pieces such as the arm armor and shoulder armor. This makes the entire piece look flat/flush and is really a beautiful touch to add for a custom set.

Overall, I definitely consider this worthy of my hard worked for savings. It's not without it's nit picks, but it's my first Fansproject set, and seriously, I couldn't ask for a better add-on to a figure. When I get a chance, I'll post up a lot of photos of what I've mentioned.

7. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    How do you clip this gun to the back? I haven't been able to figure this out.

8. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Watch peaugh's Shadow Commander review on youtube. Basically there's a groove that runs along the BFG which can tab on to the folded up hinge assembly on the back on the Prime/Magnus figure. The gun is not supposed to go on his back, but you can sort of force it on.

9. Luffy

Luffy Slacker lvl X

News Credits:
    Got my reissue the other day and have one question which I may have been answered already but, was this set supposed to have any intructions? Because mine did'nt come with any save for the add on parts. Speaking of which I ended up with bad QC on mine and ended up with two open mouth faces. One that was already mounted on the head and the other in the bag. Still a really nice looking set though.

10. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Did you get the comic book? They are in there.

Props to FansProject for adding the missiles after seeing that collectors didn't consider UM complete without them, and more props for making them available as the add-on set for the City Commander early adopters.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

So yesterday I opened my 1st release City Commander. I have had it since released over a year ago and never opened it. I finally got a display case worthy of putting some expensive toys in so I decided to open it up.

I've been reading the reviews on how awesome it is for so long, and let me tell you that the toy did NOT disappoint! It's simply amazing! I really love it. My only gripe is the "waiste" piece likes to pop off. I got the Upgrade kit as well with the Launchers and gun and they really make the piece. I am sad I wasted the last year and however many months with it sitting in a bin in my closet. It really makes the figure stand out!

12. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That waist issue has come up a lot, and if I recall, most if not all people with that complaint have been able to fix it just by pushing the waist piece on a little harder. It should fit pretty securely if it's on correctly.

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Yeah, I did push it snuggly on. I didn't realize how snug it would be and didn't want to break it. Pictures really do not do this thing justice. It's really outstanding.

14. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just got this figure for like 2/3 days now and i love it! will be getting the protector add-on, hope tomorrow :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

Just got TFX-01 and TFX-03 from a board member, and I have to say:

Best. Transformer. Ever.

16. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    I just got this with the upgrade kit and the DIA Commander. Do all of the plastic plugs get used? I found 3 on the shoulder stacks (is one supposed to go where the smoke stack gun connects?) and 4 on the lower forearms. I still have 2 of each color left and for the life of me I can't find any other screw holes to be plugged.

17. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really regret not getting the extra pieces for him. He's nice as a figure but the lack of launchers and the weird face dampen him a tad.

18. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    yeah, any places to get the side shoulder launchers for him?

19. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    They are extras, all the commander armors come with more then what are needed.

20. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info. They weren't mentioned in the booklet instructions or the add-on instructions.