Fansproject ShadowScythe: does this means no Protector?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by roy_flagg00, Sep 7, 2010.

1. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I don't see a thread, so I figure I'd be chicken little on this one. It doesn't make sense that Fans project is already releasing pics/plans/numbers/pricing/pre-orders for a repaint of something that they have not already put out yet. It worries me, and then I started thinking. Everyone always said that Has/Tak really would'nt bother Fansproject as long as they weren't puting out product that directly competed with product that Has/Tak had out. So, at first, when I saw masterpiece Rodimus, I was like, "wow that looks cool." Then I saw the transforming feature where he changes from rodiums to rodimus prime. Then I said, "wow, that's cool, but I still like protector better".
    Oh noes.
    When you think about it, Protector is kind competing with masterpiece Rodimus. Now you have this wierd-a$$ move by Fansproject? They haven't even released colors for protector, but they are releasing colors for A proposed repaint? Maybe they got a letter in the mail? I hope I am just being a paranoid whack-job on this one.......

2. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I doubt Fansproject is going to cancel the original Protector kit. The Shadow Scythe kit is only limited to 600 pieces. FP is going to produce a larger number for the regular kit just to get their money's worth out of the mold. I'm sure we'll see final colors of protector shortly.

I have a feeling there was a lot of demand for an upgrade with SG Rodimus and Henkei Wildrider owners, and FP felt it was worth producing the kit.

I'll call it now. Once the first picture of the TFCC Sideburn figure is posted, Fansproject will have an upgrade kit right behind it.

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

You raise an interesting point. Doesn't seem like a crazy thought to me, but I have no clue. I think I know where to turn for this one though...

CALLING ALL ARMCHAIR ATTORNEYS, CALLING ALL ARMCHAIR ATTORNEYS!!!

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think there is any threat of Protector being canceled in favor of ShadowScythe or because of MP Rodimus.

With ShadowScythe, it's a repaint just like Shadow Commander was of the original City Commander, only instead of announcing the black repaint AFTER the run of the original product FP is going to release it at the same time now. Shadow Scythe is intended for SG Rodimus, but I think it might work for the Henkei Wildrider version, too. Either way, that doesn't elimnate the market for a Classics Rodimus Prime, which Protector can give.

The same goes for the MP Rodimus. Sure, it can be made to represent either Rodimus or Rodimus Prime, but with the MP you get the whole package. With Protector, you MUST have a Classics Rodimus for it to really work, otherwise it's just a trailer and random armor parts.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They'll likely produce a concept, at least, but won't be produced until Sideburn is actually out (or at least steal-able from Chinese factories...), so that they can colour-match.

6. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover The Last Starfighter

News Credits:
    This could just be a move by FansProject to create some capital. Perhaps the delays w/the Cross-Fire sets or the amount they need to place up-front for a much larger Protector run have put them back a bit financially, so they're putting out a limited run at a higher price first, and re-investing that money into Protector production. It's a reasonably common business practice.

Could also be that the oft-rumored Targetmaster for Protector is taking longer to integrate into production, and they wanted a hold-over product (like HftD or PCC for Hasbro).

-Bob

7. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I hope you are right, but I am looking at my watch right now waiting for when the preorders for the protector set are announced, seeing as you can preorder shadowscythe.........

8. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Advertising the exclusive first could have been done for a number of reasons:

1. To drum up hype for the mass release.
    2. To give the two exclusive retailers an extra boost in sales.
    3. To acquire additional capital for the mass release.

I can't imagine we would not get the proper Rodimus Prime. Fansproject has likely invested far too much in this product to produce a mere 600 units. I wouldn't be surprised if the mass release version is announced in the next few days, and released concurrently with the exclusive.

9. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

shadow scythe is just a way to milk the mold for profits after the fan protector has been released.

my guess is they'll be more repaints & remolds based off this mold.

10. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree 100%. They invest a lot in those molds, and understandibly try to use them as many times as they can. I'd say the probability of a limited crystal set (to go with the Sons of Cybertron rodimus) is probably a sure bet as well.

11. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Well, who can afford the shattered Glass Rodimus or Gentei Henkei Wildrider, doesnt this seem kind of ridiculous. I hope we are not expected to paint our Rodimus black for this because that would be lame.

12. Autobot Burnout

I don't see why it's neccessary to paint a Classics Rodimus black simply to support getting Shadow Scythe. We ARE getting the normal colored version, since there are more people who own some version of normal Rodimus than there are who own SG Roddy/Wildrider.

13. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ Sorry, it is expected. So get cracking, c164!

Anywho, I'm calling "Chicken Little" on this. Regular Protector will still happen.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    If ShadowScythe happens, I so hope they make a TFCC Sideburn add on.

I probably won't get it since i can't afford it. If i could i just might get the FP Rodimus add on.

15. combaticon164

I know we will get the regular protector release for the henkei and classics rodimus and this set will fit them as well, but this one is for the Gentei/Shatter Glass release----- Other than paying $400 and up, how else are you going to procure a black Rodimus unless you paint your own?

This set is exclusive to TFsource in North America!

This set has it all! Includes all of the parts needed to combine with the shattered glass Rodimus and form Shadow Scyther, an alternative universe evil version of Rodimus. Fits the Henkei, Classic, or Botcon versions of Rodimus, and includes the recolored trailer, plus the following bonuses: Evil Face, Chain Sword, Scythe Attachment! This kit is amazing and has 3x the complexity of City Commander, and the bonus parts are only included with Shadow Scyther, not to be sold with the regular colored set!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  16. Autobot Burnout

I'm failing to see why you're so worked up about this. It's just a black repaint of the Protector armor with some extra goodies.

17. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WORD!

Ha ha I'm not so paranoid, like what some posters have reiterated, FP have alrdy invested so much in this project. anyway since the Bruticus upgrades is alrdy out & shipping without any glitches, I'm just waiting patiently for news for Protector pre-orders to crop-up anytime soon.

I hope that it'll be by this year-end or so.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  18. combaticon164

Not worked up about it, just saying for a fan who doesnt own either its not practical. Better to stick with the regular release.

19. pantherfan1

pantherfan1 Autobot

I think this confirms the Protector Armor set getting released.

20. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

Just get two shadowscythes and paint one to match rodimus' original colors.

Problem solved. :)