Fansproject Shadow Commander - worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BreakY, Oct 10, 2010.

1. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    As a continuation of the Superion upgrade thread, I wanted to ask you guys if the Shadow Commander upgrade is worth it IF you already own the City Commander upgrade?

I'm not the kind of guy to own redecos of the same or similar molds, but the Shadow Commander is really making me think twice. It looks pretty freaking awesome! However, having a City and Shadow Commander on display... overkill?

2. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally worth it... but you gotta decide if the aftermarket prices are worth it. I use him as the leader of the bad guys :)  He's way cooler than Classics Galvatron.

You already have a commander armor... Shadow is the only one I have, so I might value it more.

3. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Not really since you can give him the Optumus face to make him different. Plus his sword is awesome. I only have these two fans projects sets (first release City Commander & Shadow Commander) and I am glad I have both.

4. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    TGping: Oh my god, I noticed your Movie Optimus Prime Revised pic. That is fuggin' awesome dude! Loving the sword and the look! That would make for a sweet figure! Especially that sword!

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At the Current aftermarket prices... No. Your better off getting something else to help your Decepticon forces.

6. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Autobot

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    unless you want to risk it with the KO Shadow Commander set........

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, I would have to agree with chrisr291 and Shadowmagnus on this. Although the figure is great and I am glad I bought it, I would not pay the aftermarket price that he is going for right now, and I would definately do my research if I did and make sure I wasn't getting a KO.

I can't beleive how long this set sat at the online retailers only to seem to disapear from them all overnight.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    shadow commander, imo, is the best deco of all three. I have the most fun playing with him, something about him just screams.... death.

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, you really missed out. How much did BBTS clearance them out for? 75 bucks with SDCC Prime? I don't remember the exact price but it was super cheap.

10. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Autobot

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    actually it was 95 on BBTS w/out Nemesis Prime & about 119 with him I thnk....

Edit:
    I did some research on the KO Shadow Commander and its not that bad. It clips nicely on Nemesis Prime & it hold pretty tight. The BFG is still an issue but everything else is fine.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  11. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    WHAT?! Are you serious?! Man... I sure missed out there. I saw the DIA Commander for 80 on bbts but wasn't digging the color scheme. It's already sold out now, btw. Why is it that bbts and other places seem to want to clear stuff out and have that "out of stock" label in the shortest time possible? Not enough room to hold stock is probably the best reason, but still, it sucks when you start peeling the layers of TF toy history and find out about all this cool 3rd party gear, only to find you have no way in hell in ever getting it because you're a year late to the party!

Aftermarket might be the only way for me to get one at this point.

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was a bit less impressed with this design. It works for Magnus, but it feels really bulky and a bit hard to articulate because of that. Granted I haven't really messed with it much since I got it (and this is only the original Ultra Magnus colors) but a stand alone figure like Defender is much cooler to me.

13. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I was in hot anticipation for this piece partly because of all that hype that got generated along when City Commander got released but boy was I disappointed.

Mainly because the kit wasn't colored in Black. (Kinda expecting FP to churn out a darker scheme but Shadow Commander looked too Blue upon release.) :cry 

Ended up chucking both Nemesis Prime & the kit aside as I couldn't bother opening/de-MISB since the expectation fall right through the window. Even sold off my extra piece to a fellow Collector...That's just me though. :p 

On a serious note about its design:

What's not to like when it comes with a sword? I know some of the boys caved in & bought one because they loved that blade.

If City Commander is your cup of tea, then go for that Shadow Commander. ;) 

14. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is worth it. shameless.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You have Ultra Magnus already, so I say no.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    He's dope. I use him as a Classics version of RID Scourge.

17. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i say get it, it looks very cool. get the real fp version to save yourself any headaches later on.

18. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    absolutely worth :) 

19. BreakY

BreakY Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, I've been doing research on the KO versions after seeing how much cheaper they are. When I saw some examples where the hands would fall off and the BFG not folding properly, I decided that it's all real stuff for me, regardless if it might cost a bit more.

20. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    To me, these kos are worth it, and original isnt.

I have kos of both city and shadow commander. While the arms might fit on "loosely", unless your actually playing with it, they stay on more than fine. Theyve never fallen off for me with out actually jossling it around. IMO it looks spot on to the original minus a couple key differences. For 50$ vs 200++ on it though, it was a no brainer for me. Heres a pic of mine
    [​IMG]