fansproject shadow commader ko/ or real?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mac&cheese, Mar 29, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hi i wanted to know if anywhere still sells the fansproject shadow commander add on kit? if not then do anyone have the ko version? any comparisons in quality of the toy. i wanted to know if anyone here has the ko in hand, so that we can hear from the person who owns a set. if its crappy like the ko city commader 1st set. then noway i want to risk it. anyone here know where the real set is for sale still? or owns the ko version with feedback on quality, like does it fit well, any cracks on the armor, weapons fit?, any mold fitment problems like the first ko set?

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have had both. some differences are:

The box is a much lighter purple. The lettering on the bottom of the box is in bold and the caution symbol is a dark orange versus the real box has a light text and light orange caustion symbol.

The armor its self is just about the same weight and pretty much identical. When I compared the real one I had with a KO, the KO had some sloppy paint apps.

Also on the left leg of the armor, where the license plate can flip gets stuck on the KO.

The KO armor for the most part does a good job of staying on, not as great as the real deal.

Also if my memory serves my since I am not home to check, there are no holes. The real armor pieces are screwed together which the reason for the plastic pegs to cover those up. The KO has not and are glued together.

I think the size of the sticker sheets are different too and the comic might be assembled wrong and the pages are not in order.

Hope some of that helps.

3. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    thanks for the help. i prefer the real one but i cant find it anywhere. im still debating on getting the ko set right now. sounds like a good back up plan if i cant get a real one. but i dont want to rush and waste my money if i jump to fast for the ko set.

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I knowingly bought a Shadow Commander KO. I've never had a "real" "--- Commander" armor, so I have no basis of comparison. The one that I have seems like the real deal. The BFG has some floppiness, and it lacks the holes on the shoulders to mount Prime's weapons, but really, it's a good product.

If you can't afford a legitimate --- Commander product, I can endorse (at the very least) my particular version of the KO Shadow Commander mold.

5. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    good to know. if fp dont reissue this thing, and i cant find it for less than 150.00 ever. then i will go for it. i will keep wishing for a reissue right now. time will tell.

6. kaidoy021

kaidoy021 Well-Known Member

7. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I finally got one the other day (real) from deceptigar and its my first version of this mold. KO or real its def a must have IMO.

8. Plandarium

Plandarium Member

Does the KO version comes with the different face and the sword ?

9. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

First, let's keep in mind that my particular version of the KO might not be true for all KO Shadow Commanders. For example, there are so many KO G1 Optimus Primes; some are excellent, others are abysmal.

My KO Shadow Commander came with the alternate face and the sword.

I played with it a lot since I got it yesterday, and I can post a few more impressions. The leg armor is difficult as hell to put on and remove; I don't have the original to compare it to, but apparently this problem is inherited from the FP version. The shoulder armor does not stay on very tightly. It's mostly gravity keeping it in place, but the shoulder armor is such a limitation on articulation anyway, I can't think of many situations where you could actually turn your figure's shoulders to face forward. The shoulder armor also lacks the pegs to attach the Prime-mold's guns, but again, the connection is so weak, you probably wouldn't want those holes anyway.

I know I just listed a bunch of negative factors, but I was trying to look for candid feedback. All in all, I feel like I got my money's worth. The quality of the plastic is just as good as any official Hasbro product. I am told that the paint job is not as good as the FP version, but to be honest, I have no comparison, and the paint job is at least as "good" as any Hasbro paint job...maybe even better. It holds together incredibly well in trailer mode. There are no loose parts except for the BFG not wanting to stay shut by itself, but even then, there's a nifty "targeting reticle" piece (the piece that connects the trailer to the truck hitch) that seals the gap anyway.

Really, even though I knowingly bought a KO (the originals are just too costly), you could lie to me that it was the real thing and I'd believe it. There are KO's that crumble in your hand as you touch them and make you regret paying even the paltry sum you paid for it. This is not one of those KOs. You are not getting ripped off with (my particular version) of KO Shadow Commander.

10. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    thanks very helpful review of the toys.