FansProject Protector Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by daelite20, Dec 10, 2010.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I hope some of some peoples Shapeways projects (Targetmasters) get massproduced - they deserve it. and most of they are superior to Sidearm.

I was wondering what's going on with TF Source - are they going to get more Protectors ?

TFX-04 Protector Trailer - Armor - Add on Kit

Or are they trying to hoover up cash for something they should no that they are not going to get any more of ?

2. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    I suspect the mold has warped slightly. Or they've altered the fist/peg sizes for some reason.

Classics Rodimus' gun won't fit easily as Protector's exhaust port - handle is too big for the hole. BIS Rodimus, however, works fine. To my knowledge, Sidearm fits both... I'll have to check that when I get home...

3. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The latter I suspect. My Rodimus is a very early Classics one obtained from BBTS in the early stages of distribution so it's plausable the mould could be tweaked.... However Gun matches Rodimus...

4. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

I remember when the classics Rodimus came out there were people who said their toys couldn't hold the G1 Hot Rod rifles (4mm) because the fists were too large. If it was a running change it must have been a very short run for 5mm rod. Bummer man!

5. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Here's some pics of my Protector & Sidearm set, just for fun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably a hit-or-miss tolerance issue or whatnot. Don't remember hearing about a running change, although it's possible.

But my original Classics Rodimus' gun fits just fine into the 4mm sockets on Protector.

7. FatMick Prime

FatMick Prime Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

News Credits:
    WOW! Just got my Protector last night - A-MA-ZING!!!

As said previously, pictures simply can't do justice to how awesome this figure looks in real life. Classics Rod is not a particularly exciting figure, but the Protector upgrade makes him a FANTASTIC figure.

And my guns all seem to fit pretty nicely (original Classics Rod).

8. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After seeing pics like this, I really love the look of FP's space winnie, and I put it above MP Rodimus. But the bot mode I have to hand it to the Masterpiece. Am I in the minority here who loves Protector's alt mode more than the robot mode?

9. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

Can Sidearm stow in the gap beneath Classic Rod's spoiler where his missile launcher normally stows?

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Nope. Mine is in the alt mode. In contrast, my City Commander is in robot mode and will probably stay that way forever. FP did a great job with the Rodimus alt mode that was somewhat lacking with the Magnus trailer.

11. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine's not 5mm, he won't hold any A/E/C weapons. Just slightly larger than the 4mm on Sidearm. Side by side I can't see a difference in the size of the pegs, it's only when I try putting Sidearm or BIS Rodimus gun into Classics Rodimus' hand (or Classic's Rodimus gun into BIS Rodimus' hand) that I notice a problem.

12. Wheeljack

Wheeljack Liquid Phoenix

Fansproject does it again! Wow just finished putting the armor on "Protector" and it takes Rodimus to a whole new level. Wish I had found Bruticus in store because everything they have made has enhanced the original toy.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just curious, does anyone else display him with the helmet off? I know his head is a little too small, but I still think it looks better.

14. kingnothing80

kingnothing80 Well-Known Member

Okay, so I'm going back and looking at the many pics taken of Protector and I look back at mine and see unpainted eyes. Is everybody elses painted or is there a sticker sheet I'm missing?

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine are painted.

16. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    As are mine. Sounds like you got a production error.

17. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    Got my Protector set yesterday. I must say, it is all kinds of awesome.

Unfortunately the only Hot Rod I have atm is BiS. The colors look horrible. Plus the blue painted windows really suck. As do the gray tires. The red actually doesn't look as terrible as the pic I have seen made it out to be.

The integration set from Reprolabels is on it's way. Hopefully this will fix the bad colors slightly.

My only complaint is that my roller foot/ mounting plate is slightly askew on the Protector trailer/ballista. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but I did notice the error and it kinda irks me a tad.

Overall this Protector Armor is made purely of epic and win. I have no qualms about shelling out 100 bucks for everything as I absolutely love this Rodimus Prime. I think I like it better than the Masterpiece version. It fits in beautiful with the CHUG Transformers, where as Masterpiece is out of scale with everything except other Masterpieces.

18. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    Dudeman, it's all red plastic under there. The spoiler however, is the same orange as always under the yellow.

19. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Ordered the Protector Tech and Hot Rod stickers from Reprolabels last week so it should only be a matter of time before it arrives. I'll post pics so everyone can see. I think they'll make a very nice combination.

20. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm in the market for a protector set and currenty gonna buy it second hand off a friend. He said the heel/hinge pin broke but glued it back on, does this make any significant difference?