fansproject/maketoy talk

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CVprowl, Jul 9, 2011.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

any word on if the fansproject not-insecticons are being delayed?

what are the chances fansproject goes ahead and finishes off the other three combaticons to go along with munitioner (not-swindle) and explorer (not blast-off)? to make a combined bruticus. i think they could do a fantastic job and the finished product would beat what hasbro made.

i have heard mentioned that the new not-devestator (giant?) made by "maketoy" is somehow affiliated with fansproject. what info does anyone have on this topic? has maketoy made anything else? hoe was the quality? are people concerned about QC?

2. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Last I heard on the Insecticons was July 5, from TF Source's twitter:
    Release dates (as in leaves FP's hands and ships to retailers) for the other two are July 31 and August 31.

For the combaticons- virtually no chance. There's no point, since they designed the 2 figures to go with the 3 official ones as it is, and the Bruticus looks damn good already.

3. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

^ This.

And as far as FP's involvement with MakeToy, according to Venksta (who is in the know on FP stuff since he's worked with them) FP had no involvement at all with MakeToy's "Giant". Despite what people are saying MakeToy is NOT Fansproject. From what I understand, some FP designers have been involved in some of MakeToy's designs or just in supporting or promoting them, but they are not the same company.

4. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i dont think ive ever seen picks of the other three bots in bot form. do brawl, onslaught and vortex already look real good? nobody shows them off in bot mode. :p 

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

so make toys doesnt really have anything that theyve already made. i see on their website a powerglide and seaspray. have those been released yet? i havent heard anyone talking about QC with "giant". isnt that strange?

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just hope "giant" is priced close to fp's pricing. then he will be worth it

7. Mach

Mach Grand Master

News Credits:
    Different designers doesnt mean that they cant be financed by the same bosses...
    Also is Fansproject a proper registered company?? Incorporated at where??

8. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

ok. i just looked up these other figures who are part of brutics. boy are they uuuuuuugly.

Bruticus Maximus - ROTF Main Line - TFW2005

i think fansproject should use the sets the've already made (munitioner and explorer) and make a better onslaught, vortex, and brawl to join their combaticon buddies. and they can make bruticus look even better.

i cant be the only one thinking that.

im sure a lot of people overpaid for that horrible bruticus set to use it with munitioner and explorer, but you 3rd party junkies cant tell me you pass up a proper and awesome onslaught, vortex and brawl that combined to form brutics if fansproject made them.

some might say they wouldnt buy them, but once they were out they wouldnt pass them up.

9. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

IF they did them, I'll admit I'd probably end up buying them. But it isn't really necessary, and there's kind of not much point. So I don't think it's very likely they'd do that. Besides I think they've moved on to other things now.

MakeToy is brand new. All they've released are pictures of their prototypes and displayed some of their prototypes at TFSource's booth at BotCon. None of their product has gone to final production or been sold yet. There aren't even pre-orders up for their stuff yet.

10. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For now I'm just gonna think of MakeToy and FansProject as "cousins"

They see each other on occasion, they'll help each other whenever they're needed, they send Christmas cards

But they don't live in the same house

11. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Honestly, I really like the way that the bruticus combiner bots look. They're honestly really nice classics-looking updates. So, I'm not at all with you on this.

I feel like you just don't feel like paying for bruticus at value and are just trying to stir up a rally for an alternative that isn't going to happen.

12. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I think they look pretty good myself. I only have a pic of Onslaught right now though.

[​IMG]

13. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    Totally agree with you, TJ. I rather like the Onslaught and Vortex molds. Nicely articulated and both modes are pretty solid and neat, if not entirely accurate. Still, the resemblance is there.

The only mold I don't particularly care for is Brawl. His tank mode is passable but robot mode's got really strange tread cape kibble and skinny legs made worse by clown shoe syndrome, lol.

I think someone on TFW posted in Radicons their modded PCC Heavytread as Brawl and that looks much better mold- and accuracy-wise! Gonna try and do the mod myself (and possibly use his minicon Groundspike as Bruticus's chest shield).

That said, I also seriously doubt FansProject or MakeToys will come out with newly designed figures of Onslaught, Vortex, and Brawl. FP is working on their Causality line while MT has their hands full with not-Devy "Giant". Besides, FP Bruticus looks awesomely badass as is already!

14. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

you're partially right, i dont feel like paying the current value for the other bruticus bots because they dont look good enough to me so i dont think they are worth it. i'd pay (like i'm paying for tfc hercules) for good third party updates of all three of those characters but i wont pay that kinda money for bots i don't like.

id like to see fansproject line these three bots up to finish bruticus and then go after the other combiner bots, menasor, predaking, superion, defensor, and computron. it would be good to standardize the size of them to match the bruticus and maketoys giant. thats a nice line up and lots of good product that will sell.

15. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

that guy doesnt look horrible, but it doesnt really look like onslaught either.

16. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Honestly man, different strokes for different folks, but honestly they released munitioner and explorer with upgrades to work around the Classics mold, and honestly it's a better looking Bruticus than most of us would've ever imagined as a whole.

I'm glad to hear other people like the look of the bot molds. I'd never really discussed it with anyone, so nice.

Anyways CV, you're a budd, and love ya' to death, but I really hope you don't miss out on this one in hopes of them releasing other figures for a different bruticus.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm with CVProwl actually... the first thing I thought of when full images of Munitioner and Explorer were released was that the bar had been raised, and suddenly the remaining Energon limb molds looked woefully insufficient by comparison. Really FP might as well have gone for a Brawl and Vortex too, because the Energon versions just don't quite feel right.

This is not so much in terms of engineering or design. I don't think the Energon figures are actually "ugly". They're pretty sweet little guys overall. I really like them.

I think Onslaught/Barricade is alright. It's no big task to swap his head with a more G1-style, so he ends up looking okay. But when you put the other two next to Munitioner/Explorer, who are fantastically faithful renditions of Swindle/Blastoff, the others simply don't fit in quite so well stylistically. This is why we've seen Kitbashers doing their own versions, or converting PCC HeavyTread into Brawl.

Now before someone smugly suggests that I'm just butthurt because the cost of those Energon repaints is through the roof, let me say that I already owned the original release for those figures, so it was a non-issue for me. Also, I found a hefty cache of the ROTF versions at retail, so hunting down overpriced sets on Ebay was also not a problem. I bought some, and sold them to local fans at cost, just because I'm a sweet guy. ;) 

Will FP ever make any other Combaticons? I doubt it... I think that ship has sailed. They seem to be working on even bigger stuff now, so I'm anxious to see what comes next.

zmog

18. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'm going to leave it at this, bc I really do respect people's opinions:

For ME, even though I'm fine with the Bruticus molds, I feel that it says a lot more about Fansproject and their abilities to have made Bruticus look so amazing through a few additional figures and upgrades, than having made a complete set of new bots.

19. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I gotta go with CVProwl on this. I hate the way the other bots look. Munitioner and Explorer are great and I WOULD say that they fit in well with Classics, but they're just too small for what I want in my Classics figures. All the Scout sized figures like Windcharger and such, I don't want them that small, I want them Classics Bumblebee height. And Munitioner and Explorer are about Scout sized. Now the new Not-Insecticons are supposed to be about the height of Gen. Warpath, and that size I can deal with, but I want my Combaticons to be one Ultra size, (like 2.0 Onslaught) and 4 deluxes. I just really wish there were 4 Classics Combaticons that integrate with Classics Onslaught. Alas, my dream will prolly never happen. Also, this is just my opinion and personal preference and agree with TJ, gotta value others opinions.

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the head was a better match, you'd be hard-pressed to tell that that mold wasn't meant to be an Onslaught homage. He's got Onslaught's flat-ish feet, abdominal wheels, and a similar chest plate shape.