FansProject G3 Trailer Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by EvaleSuperion, Aug 17, 2009.

1. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Everytime I check this thread out, the bandwidth is exceeded on the pics.

2. ChrisLHanssen

ChrisLHanssen From the desk of TBSKLF

Will that work for the movie Optimus Prime vehicle mode?

3. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nope

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Stickers protip:

Get a toothpick. The #8 sticker applications cover some nice sculpted detail, but if you line up the stickers correctly and then gently run a toothpick over all the sculpted lines and grids, you can regain the 3-dimensional detailing AND have sticker colours over top. :D 

Downside is this takes a whiiiiiile.

5. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    ???

6. OptionZero

News Credits:
    He is saying he's ok with paying $80 for one, but not $160 for two.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't bother me. I'm used to doing this. Just did up MP Thundercracker this weekend (although it wasn't too extensive, I just did the stripes and sigils).

8. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    Oh, he'd buy another one if it didn't cost as much. K

9. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    AAAaarrrrggggg....

...thanks a lot...your glorious review has just caused me to loose $80...

...thanks again...

Nice job here with the review, your pros and cons convinced me that this was a worthy purchase. That and I recently receiving the Superion Appendage set...which was quite impressive.

Can't wait for this one in the mail (as soon as my "Pile of Loot" is full to make shipping worth it...)

10. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Just got mine yesterday in the mail for ToyArena, this trailer is awesome, Now I just need to autobot insignias to put on the sides to make it complete. The weapones even though they are chrome are sweet, I'll probably be taking some paint to them to make them look a little better for the classics display I'm working on

11. ChrisLHanssen

ChrisLHanssen From the desk of TBSKLF

Darn.

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  13. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Wait, wait, so panels unfold and cover the entire exterior with mirrors? Didn't hear about that feature until now. That's ridiculous. Absurd ridiculous, not awesome ridiculous. That had to add like $20 at least to the price of this thing.

14. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    To each his own. That feature was the selling point for me. I got my trailer from TFSource in the mail about an hour ago and it is awesome. I am always impressed by ingenious engineering and FansProject has accomplished just that. I love the mirror-mode and I really like how they accomplished the City-Commander trailer/hitch. Everything looks great and I think it was money well spent.

15. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Ditto. I was planning on buying this trailer before I even knew about the mirror panels. So really it's an extra that makes it even more worth the price to me. I think it's a neat attempt at explaining where Primes trailer goes when he transforms.

16. defstar

defstar Autobot...

What do you guys think the odds are of this thing dropping in price a little at BBTS?...

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're expecting the price to go down? Hah.

Truthfully, I'm not sure where this'll go. I don't see it being as popular as the armour sets to drive the aftermarket prices sky high, but then again, it's produced in lesser quantities as well. Given that reportedly Fansproject isn't making much of a profit at all on these, selling them basically at cost to themselves, and then with a slight distributor mark-up, I'm not expecting the prices to really go down any. This isn't like mass-market stuff where the profit margins are a lot higher.

18. Cloudraker

Cloudraker on auto-pilot

I got this yesterday and haven't really had the chance to look it over but the first thing I did was pull it out of package and connect Prime and DIA Clone trailer to it and I have to say it is simply a work of art. It is very long when all segments are combined and really makes Prime soo much more the badass warrior that he should be. Totally satisfied with this and dont have much derogitory to say about it.

My suggestion to those who are on the fence on whether to get this or not really should.
    Before the are all gone or the price skyrockets. You will be happy.

Very well done FP and thank you.

19. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got a pair of these in tonight. A few first impressions:

1. Incredibly solid. I was worried about play between all the moving parts, but all the joints and hinges give a fair amount of resistance, which is assuring. Everything either clicks into place, or stays put without any fuss. Even the folding mirror panels have plenty of pegs to keep them from falling open.

2. I was also worried that Roller might be loose, due to his expansion gimmick. Both the gimmick and pivoting gun mount are actually on click joints, and Roller expands from fully compressed to 5 other positions (not that you'd actually use them all).

3. The weapons are a little tricky to get off the sprue. The gate locations could have been better, as some require either a knife or a tiny pair of pliers to cut off. Otherwise, nail clippers will do the trick. Once you cut 'em off though, they look great, just like any other Henkei weapon.

4. With Prime and a Commander trailer, the whole convoy is 23" long.

5. Unforunately, the mirror panels, when deployed, just sort of drape over the sides. In this mode, they don't click into place, nor do they end up perfectly vertical. They are, once you take the protective film off, super reflective.

6. At first, it appears that the guns on the turret inside the trailer automatically deploy when the turret is raised. However, there is a second joint just below that allows the turret to move independently. By this condition, the turret extends to be taller with the guns deployed. It can be a little tricky to position the turret and guns seperately, and Fansproject probably could have put the guns on decoupled pins, but I suppose this is something like a "mech alive" gimmick. The arm that supports the turret is a little wobbly, but it still clicks into different positions well enough. No loosening ball joints to worry about here.

7. The weapons and their sprues mount inside the trailer on pegs. They are completely modular, so you have the option to reorganize them as you'd like. One on the pegs, though, they're just shy of a pain in the ass to remove. Definitely some peg breakage potential here.

8. I hate hate hate sticker applications. However, with a little patience, they really enhance the look of this toy. Roller's itty bitty license plate is adorable.

Anyway, those are the things I was most critical with. If I didn't mention a particular feature, it's because it was somewhere between passable and awesome. I had high hopes for this trailer, and despite a few shortcomings, it didn't dissappoint. This toy simply reeks of quality, I really can't recommend it enough.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  20. OptionZero

News Credits:
    yeah

their shit fits together SOOOO well

shame on hasbro
    they need to use FP's factory