Fansproject Function X-1 Code Video Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Video Reviews' started by Kuma Style, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Kalel

Kalel Carnage Creations

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Kal El Reviews: FansProject Function X - Code (Chromedome)

Video Review of FansProject Function X - Code (Chromedome)

Kal El Reviews: FansProject Function X - Code (Chromedome) (061) - YouTube

Another Fantastic release from fansproject with their new headmaster subline; Function X. Code is a great strart to the line with an awesome transformation scheme and perfect use of space to create two very well done modes, with no empty cavities or unneeded kibble. No Back pack at all in fact.

On the downside, code comes with a gigantic box which is superfluous. Also Ankle tilts wouldn't go astray though not essential, and a lack of outward motion on the shoulder ball joint.

Big props the the engineers for the design of the chest plate/hood shifting system, using two separate channels for the same movement to allow the figure waist articulation. Brilliant.

A Fantastic figure and well worth the value paid. Highly Recommended. 7/10

A Full gallery can be seen here (CLICK ME)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. phoenix88

phoenix88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. caked-up

caked-up Well-Known Member

Fansproject Function X-1 C.O.D.E.

The surprise figure for the Toys For Tots drive by Fansproject and several retailers is none other than an awesome homage to Chromedome. The Headmaster gimmick was never my cup of tea, and the posability is a little off for unknown reasons, but otherwise this is overall a good toy for the price.

My photo gallery is located here: Facebook

Fansproject Function X-1 CODE aka Chromedome with Stylor.wmv - YouTube

Also, check out the rest of my channel at cakedup83's channel - YouTube. As always, please rate, comment, and subscribe!

4. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  5. JazzSanti86

JazzSanti86 Rockin Out! Latino Style!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
  6. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Legal stuff first as always. Code is not a figure from Hasbro or Takara-Tomy, as such he's not legally a Transformer. He's from third-party provider Fansproject and a clear homage to G1 Chromedome, but for legal reasons he can't be called that.

Robot Mode: One look at the robot mode and there is little doubt who he’s supposed to pay homage to. He strongly resembles Chromedome – the cartoon character more than the rather blocky toy – including paint job and choice of arms. Code is a good head shorter than Chromedome, but Chromedome was a truly massive figure compared to the other 1987 Headmasters, so that’s not a surprise.

Big surprise, Code’s articulation is a whole lot better than that of the barely articulated G1 figure. Still, it’s not as good as it could have been. Despite the fact that Code has ball-jointed shoulders and the legs are connected to the hips via ball joints as well, the way the joints are attached does limit him somewhat. He can pose, don’t get me wrong, but the range of movement isn’t as big as it could have been if the joints had been given just a tad more space.

One of the things I’ve heard a lot of people complain about is the fact that despite being a Headmaster, Code is missing the old tech spec meter on his chest. The G1 Headmasters had panels on their chest that would flip open and if their heads were plugged in, you could see how they rated in terms of strength, intelligence, and speed. Code doesn’t have that gimmick and... yeah, I don’t really care. For all that I’m a hardcore G1 fanatic, I never had much use for that gimmick and don’t mind its absence. If you’re completely into it, though, it might just bother you.

So, what else? As a Headmaster Code can detach his head to form a separate figure (see below). He can store his weapons on the back of his arms when he’s not using them. And... yeah, that’s pretty much it. A nice figure that does a very good job of updating G1 Chromedome. Good enough for me, so thumbs up.

Alternate Mode: Code transforms into something that looks very much like a car, though it does not resemble any particular model I’ve ever seen. Considering the setting of Chromedome, consider this how people in the 80s imagined cars in the early 21st century to look like. Despite being a good deal smaller than the car mode of the G1 toy, the detail work on this car looks pretty nifty. It’s got some kind of gizmos on the sides (Blasters? Turbines? I have no clue), black afterburners on the back, and you can mount Code’s two blasters on the back for added firepower.

One definite improvement over the G1 car mode: Chromedome couldn’t open his cockpit when the weapons were mounted. Code can, so you can easily put his Headmaster behind the steering wheel (and yes, there is one) without removing the guns. So bottom line: a nice-looking semi-futuristic looking car that looks close enough to the G1 original to be easily recognizable as a homage, but different enough to stand on its own, too.

Partner: As a Headmaster Code's head detaches to form a separate figure. Now Chromedome's partner was called Stylor, at least in the US cartoon and comics, while in the Japanese story the smaller figure actually was Chromedome himself, with the larger body being a mere tool for him to pilot. Either way, the Fansproject version of the head has no name as far as I know and whether he's a separate being or not is left to your own imagination. Suffice to say the Headmaster figure is nicely done. The figure is actually smaller than the G1 Headmaster and actually slightly less detailed, but a bit more articulated, so it evens out, I guess. Anyway, a nice companion figure.

Remarks: Chromedome was among the core cast of good guys in the Japanese Headmaster cartoon, his main claim to fame. More recently he's joined the main cast of IDW's brilliant "More than Meets the Eye" comic, which (to me, at least) is a far better reason to get an updated version of him. This figure was available as part of a charity drive by Fansproject and BigBadToyStore, where a portion of the sales price went to "Toys for Tots" in time for Christmas.

Now let me put this as simply as possible: this toy here is nothing more and nothing less than an updated version of G1 Chromedome. So whether you like it or not really depends, I believe, on whether you want an updated version of a 1987 G1 Headmaster figure. I, being the die-hard G1 fanatic that I am, am very happy with this guy and I’ve already put in my preorder for the Fansproject version of Brainstorm, too. People who are not fans of the G1 Headmasters, though, should probably spend their money elsewhere.

Rating: B

7. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    List of the top 5 disappointments for Code:

1. Cannot plug any other Headmasters in the body, has a unique socket.

2. Colors off from G1 Chromedome.

3. Shoulder and ankle posability is lacking.

4. Limited joints on the head dude.

5. No supporting comic, tech specs or biography. We don't seem to know if the head is called Code, or the car, or how they relate. Is he a friend of Steel? What gives?

Technically, in Japan the head guy was named "Chrome". When he combined with the car he was called Chromedome.

I wonder if that means he had different names when he combined with the other Autobot Headmaster bodies. Chromehead? Chromebrow? Chromestorm? Did his body have other names when other Autobot Headmasters used it? Highdome? Braindome? Harddome?

8. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

These are the big ones for me. I can get around the lack of ankle tilts or shoulder poseability. However, I am amazed how limited the small headmaster body really is. Barely a step up from G1 articulation. That is sad. And the unique head socket is just shortsighted.

9. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    What made me like this was his alt mode. Normally it's robot mode, but this alt mode just screams Chromedome; however, these negatives that are mentioned are kind of making me think if this is worth the 100 bucks. I don't have a Chromedome figure so I'll probably still keep my preorder, but I'm sort of hesitant.

10. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    It's likely you'll be happy with him once he's in hand. Most of the complaints come from people who don't have one, and most of the praise comes from people who do have one. And a lot of people who didn't like it but bought one anyway changed their tune when they handled it. Not saying anyone's opions aren't valid, just that it seems to be one of those toys that people like more once they get it. :) 

11. caked-up

caked-up Well-Known Member

I am unconcerned with he coloring because I never had the G1 toy and the fact that the G1 heads don't fit is strange and slightly bothersome but in the Ned is a null point IMO. The restrictive ball joints at the shoulders and hips do irritate me though.

12. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    LMAO, this is exactly what happened in the Genesis thread. After Genesis, I'll be comparing every 3p to it, so this being a third of the value of Genesis has me skeptical. I'll see when I get mine.

The biggest plus for me is we'll be getting the others, this is where this figure gets better for me, as well as his alt mode.

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    If you compare anything 3rd party to Genesis then you are bound to be disappointed. 3 superb modes, and if they can add cool looking new parts, well ... may as well hand the figure of the last 5 years award as well.

15. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Sorry if this is Necro-ing but I just shelled out for this guy and figured I'd discuss him while anxiously awaiting his delivery next week.

I had just watched through the Japanese Collection DVD releases for Headmasters and Masterforce. Naturally it left me really wishing I had some updated headmasters. This guy is right up my ally. Really wish Hasbro had some kind of 'collectors' line of deluxes. They'd charge a bit more, but if we could get figures like this I'd be all over it. And I'm sure Hasbro would keep it under $100, which is very hard to swallow for any deluxe.

I don't know why so many people don't like mounting the guns in vehicle mode. I mean, that's how he always is in the cartoon. Doubt that the comics are any different. That's just what Chromedome looks like. The vehicle mode color palet is kind of ugly to start with. Bold red guns aren't going to take away from the poop brown and urin yellow.

16. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  17. breaux man

breaux man I'm Me