Fansproject CA-13 Diesel/M3 Video Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Video Reviews' started by Peaugh, Dec 17, 2013.

1. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome review! I am really looking forward to getting Diesel and completing the set, but at the same time dreading the transformation.

2. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks Peaugh. Great video.

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Great video. Honestly think the figure looks really cool...

But dat transformation. Wow. No wonder it's called "Intimidator" because the transformation process looks intimidating as FUCK.

4. Jehsee

Jehsee Well-Known Member

Yeah... video should really be front-paged I think.

5. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm disappointed too. he seems over complicated than he needs to be, which isn't very fun. and i totally agree about the legs

6. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Full disclosure: I didn't buy into this set because I don't care about Menasor at all.

That said, the comment above is blatantly unfair. Colossus was only 40-50% fansproject. Three of the five robots were Hasbro products. Folks forget that this is the first full scale combiner we've seen from fansproject. Considering the engineering in Colossus has been unused for any other combiner in the FP line up, why shouldn't they be allowed to recycle it this one time for their first full scale effort?

7. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, I agree the legs are a legitimate gripe. The fact the legs don't even require the cars at all (past appearances) is kinda a let down.

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    If FP was the only game in town, then I would say yes. But right now there are 6-7 companies currently making combiners. In a heavy environment like this it is expected that you push the envelope.

None of this is pushing the envelope in any way. As I mentioned, this is taking the concept from City Commander (Trailer Add on) and combining it with the gimmicks from Colossus (Shoulder add ons, other add ons, etc.).

The figures themselves left a lot to be desired because of their short stature, poor QA in some case, and fiddly transformation. Then in the end, you don't do anything to them to get them combined. They are using Gimmicks seen by Radicon creators in 2008 for the arms for instance. Heck, for the whole combiner is straight from Radicons in 2008.

I would actually say that the Colussus figures were actually better stand alone figures because at least they incorporated combiner ports in them.

So to me this is not unfair. In every business, you have to innovate to survive in a highly competitive environment. I don't see recycling concepts as innovation. So I cannot give that credit here, especially when comparing it with other combiners we saw this year.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and it should not stop anyone from enjoying it or praising it themselves. For the $400 on this, if I would have known it would have turned into this, I would have gotten MT Green Giant and waited for the next release of Menasor.

9. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ Totally agree with the innovation part. But some people can NEVER get past the FP name. Oh well even BlackBerry had its day.

10. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not as Menasor fan at all, but I was willing to consider buying until I saw the reviews for the actual cars come in. They just didn't work at all for me and seemed fiddly and had serious issues. It looks like Explorer and Munitioner were the better figures.

You're welcome to your opinion of course, but using what works, especially when it hadn't already been put together in this way before, seems like fair play to me.

11. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to know what combiner technology since Colossus has improved on the Colossus configuration? Oh yeah, none.

It's pegs and ports all around.

Also, even though Munitioner and Explorer had their own ports the Energon limbs didn't. They also weren't Scramble city. In that respect, all four Intimadator cars do have their own ports if they're legs.

So, wash/wash.

12. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you so much for the awesome video review, Peaugh! =) After seeing the review, I see why he is the pricing he is..... There looks to be a high parts count to him and I love the intricate transformation and head reveal for "Menasor". I can't wait to finish this set!

Bring on January! =)

Have a Merry Christmas,

- Gregg

13. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also, engineering negative space is way WAY more impressive than a clever reveal on an individual Function figure to me.

14. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks Peaugh! I know that wasn't easy given your predicament.

I think the overall goal of the project was to have 4 regular uninhibited car bots that can stand alone, and use the mass of the trailer on Diesel to house every combiner bit. I think it's a success since I love Car Crash for his own merits. It's a neat idea and works very well with the 5 team getup in general (it also seems to be Maketoy's approach to combining with Quantron too).

The execution is Fansproject fiddly though. It's over complicated and frustrating. At the end of the day it accomplishes a hell of a lot, but it's a bunch of bullshit to wade through. I have to say I do like the end result though. Only the armored up mode looks tacky, but I'm sure someone can fanmode that hard enough to make it work, as well as deform the cars more in combined mode so they look like they're doing something more.

I'll be glad to have him, but he isn't Feral Rex tier on the want-o'-scale.

15. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Very Fair. I do agree with you that Explorer and Munitioner were better figures as well.

Yes. I agree here as well.

The thing that really bothers me is all the secrets and miscommunication of this release.

I would have liked to know up front what this was. If FP said, this will work like this and combine like this, I could have made an informed decisions.

Instead I purchased these with a fear they will sell out and I will be out on the street. Now I am left with a weird taste in my mouth about spending $360 and getting this.

I may change my opinion when he is in hand, but this bothers me a little bit.

Well, your kinda making my point. We are talking about 2009 technology in 2013, almost 2014.

I am not saying that this is bad. I am saying it is dated. For $360, I want more then dated reused tech.

As for the pegging into a skelton (legs) and using shoulder pieces that tab into an existing piece (arms) being the same as combiner ports, I would disagree.

A good combiner finds a nifty way to transform the limb, and reveal the combiner port in such a way that it seems cohesive to combiner. It's almost a triple changer.

This design is not a triple changer for each figure.

This looks like a skeleton of Menasor with super magnets to pick up cars to attach to him.

16. autotronprime

autotronprime I like to make cool things!

News Credits:
    Nice review! Really enjoyed and cannot wait to get this guy in hand!

17. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great review Peaugh, thank you!

18. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Peaugh for the first time I have actually wanted this set, for someone who has been out on this set since seeing the first bots size and price that's a testament to your reviews

Looks great and that transformation was far more complex than I thought

19. Megacluts

Megacluts Well-Known Member

I am glad you have had a change of heart :) 

I like this set and the intricate nature of transforming him from Truck, robot to combiner mode. No pieces of the trailer are left behind.

I don't really like the parts attached to him so I prefer using the trailer components as turrets or as a mortar if I have the figures in robot form.

20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I more or less agree. Just got done watching the video review (good job with that, Peaugh.) Diesel looks like a fiddly, no fun, mess and the set looks Legotastic. I'm left feeling rather meh about it (at best.) But at least the combined mode looks fairly decent... I think had I seen this review 5 or 6 months ago, I probably woulda just skipped the set. Hope I'm more impressed once it's in hand or it holds its value.