Fansproject CA-13 Diesel/M3 Video Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Video Reviews' started by Peaugh, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
  2. clintfca

clintfca G1 Inspired

News Credits:
    Peaugh ... that was an incredible video. Thank you so much for putting in all that effort - no apologies required for making a 'long' video as it was just full of awesome.

Everybody has their opinion on the figure/entire set but I just can't wait until I have him in hand to form Menasor.

3. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was the friggin MAD NOTE! :D 

Thanks for the incredible review, Peaugh!

4. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Only thing missing I think is large gun wielded in combined mode----we've seen almost none of that so far. And can the shotguns actually be wielded when combined, or only stored on his back?

5. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    It can, this one needed to have a couple bits sanded down in order to fit properly in the hand, which I didn't figure out until after the video.

6. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review, dude. Can't wait to get Diesel!

7. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

How poseable is it? Cant wait it looks great

8. Acesan

Acesan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very very cool. This and UT predaking and I'll be happy!

9. Talos242

Talos242 Running out of space!!

Ebay:
    Thanks Peaugh for taking the time to do that for us. Great review and well worth the wait. Bring on January and M^3.
    Hope your toe is feeling better? :) 

10. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    He's got several joints and a pretty decent range of motion in each of them. He still has a little bit of that old combiner limitation, but he's definitely on the better end of it.

It's back to a normal color and doesn't hurt as much, so progress!

11. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

Cheers dude, i remember watching a vid with two guys who had a proto saying it could get into pretty much and pose like sumurai poses etc. Does the arm take thr weight of the sword well enough for decent sword poses or does ot flop? It looks good just stood there anyway.

12. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Very awesome review sir. I do have to say though as a combiner (just my preference here) I'm not liking all the partsforming, though it is genius engineering as Motormaster's trailer. I was worried about his scale with my combiners (TFC Devastator, Superion, eventually MMC Predaking) but that actually looks pretty good. Will buy this guy to finish out the FP Stunticons, but I'm interested to see Warbotron's Menasor now.

13. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Great review, as usual!

That's a lot of thin plastic pieces, which makes me really nervous, but FP's plastic quality has been pretty good, so hopefully it's sturdier than it looks.

14. ShockWave77

ShockWave77 Well-Known Member

thanks Peaugh!

15. motorthing

motorthing Polarised.

News Credits:
    Thanks Peaugh, great review as always.

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    First off, thanks for the review on this guy. Great, great review.

As for the guy himself. I cannot help but feel disappointed. He looks good, I am sure I can deal with it, but for the money I really feel a little cheated. I think cheated is the proper word to use on this too. He will cost most people between $360-$390 to complete (a little more with shipping). All I heard about it, was wait till the last guy, wait till the last guy. He will have amazing engineering. But what I see here is not amazing engineering. I see one big cheat of a combiner.

The shoulder pieces that clip to the car are a cheat (and the same as we have already seen in Colossus), the legs are a cheat, it is part former and then some (which I usually don't mind). Then on top of that, even the cars just attach simply. It is a cheat all around as I see it.

TBH, the whole thing seems very dated, especially after all of the newer combiners we have seen. It is using a lot of the gimmicks already seen on Colossus. It is almost like if he came out 3 years ago I would be in awe, but today, I am in meh.

So while it is nice to finally get him completed, and see him in final shape, I wish I knew all this about him upfront. I think I would have just skipped him and waited for something better.

The thing that makes this also such a disappointment is the Function X series. With all that FP squeezed into that series, you would hope some of the ingenuity would be squeezed in here. Just my 2 cents.

17. MechaFanboy

MechaFanboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Impressive, the complex transformation does worry me though...

Thanks for the vid, really appreciate it.

18. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Parts-forming does not negate the genius of the engineering. And this dude is incredibly well designed, if not well engineered.

Impressive. Thanks again Peaugh!

19. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

That's exactly what I was thinking, that it seems like a design originating back around TFTM '09, when the official HasTak trend was barreling toward increasingly fiddly transformations and endless folding panels.

Many newer toy designs seem to be pulling back from that, and getting back to the idea of a toy that is actually meant to be played with. I know the Function designs are also fairly old, but their final execution clearly eschews a lot of possible added gimmickry (tiny ankle joints, swiveling wolf head, etc) in order to have a product that stands up to shelf dives and repeated transformation. I kind of wish they'd done the same with Diesel; I'd be fine with less-poseable or kibbly shoulders, legs, and feet if those joints were replaced with thicker, tougher connections. As it is, I may just leave him partially combined so I can still play with CC and T-B; kind of a shame.

20. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    The thing is, this doesn't even look that fiddly to me. It looks like most other FP transformers. It is the norm for their stuff.

I just don't see anything new here though. No new, wow check that out transformation scheme or anything. Just more of the same.

So I am not sure where people are seeing "genius of engineering" here. It is a standard run of the mill FP transformer. I mean, the trailer is CC, the combiner is Colossus. I mean, the trailer is basically an add on for the car bots. I think that is what is bothering me. You have the 4 individual cars, using the old dated gimmick that Radicons used 4-5 years ago (of bot seperating and forming forearms) if not more, then you have an add on set to the cars to combine with the center piece. Realistically, they could have just made the center piece and used Classic figures to do the same thing.

As I stated, it is more standard FP, and some people like that. For me, I think the Function X team pushed that envelope forward for FP, but M3 was before them. So maybe I just shouldn't be expecting that much from this.