FansProject CA-04 Stormbomb Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by CookSux, Sep 3, 2011.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Not long after the release of Thundershred, Fansproject releases Stormbomb under their Causality Crossfire line. Stormbomb is a clear homage to Transformers G1 Bombshell and the second of three figures.

Stormbomb

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: Since I started with the robot mode, let me talk about the transformation. The instructions skip a few steps, and will disorient you for a good second. Otherwise transformation is rather simple. Stormbomb turns into a Cybertronian rhinoceros beetle, and it's half good... and half crap. The crap part is solely reserved for the 'rhino horn' and first set of legs. The horn is too long, and I don't know what to do with it [that's what she said]. The scythes become Stormbomb's first set of legs, and have a tough time staying put; they fall out easily. The rest of the body is perfectly fine. Another complaint I have about this mode is that there isn't a good place to hide the chain.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode: Before I say anything about the robot mode, I'd like to harp about Fansproject's integrity. Unlike other third-party groups that ignore their product's flaws, Fansproject makes every attempt to fix theirs. There have been many cases of Thundershred's spikes breaking, and instead of brushing it under a rug, Fansproject throws in an extra set of the spikes and handle with Stormbomb. I didn't need them, but I'm glad I have a set of spares. Now on to Stormbomb.

While I really like how Thundershred looks, Stormbomb looks better. The sculpt on Stormbomb is slightly less bulky, along with a level of finesse and detailing. Though I wish it had a pellet shooter on the top of his head, at least he's got a vented faceplate. There are a few ways you can mistransform Stormbomb so that he can get this with the sai weapon. Starscream's shoulders are also a welcome design decision. Stormbomb also looks great with the set of hanging chained scythes, which I'll get to in a moment. I have to mention that Stormbomb's joints are perfectly tight, and not too tight like Thundershred. The shoulder armor is finicky, there is zero wrist movement, and the waist armor moves (very annoyingly) with the thighs. These are the only complaints I have with the articulation. It does, however, have excellent tilting ankles and waist rotation.

The scythes are a nice set of weapons, along with its thick detachable chain. This chain can also plug into the sai, which can split into a set of cleavers. Though you have the option of plugging the sai blades on*the shoulders, I think this is just ugly. The sai connects on the back not by simply sliding it in, but rather combining the detached parts together around it. The box shows that there is a peg on the outside of this panel, but my toy has it on the inside. I wonder if mine is a defect. The last thing worth mentioning is that Stormbomb also has 3mm ports on his arms. You can put Thundershred's claws (not very flush) and other weapons on here.

[​IMG]

Overall: If you guys liked Thundershred you'd absolutely love Stormbomb. The toy has its faults, but I think that it's a better toy. It's a nice homage to Bombshell and is definitely well-engineered.

Check out the full gallery and other reviews at The Rabbit Haul.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. msterling21

msterling21 Well-Known Member

Great review. I won't be buying them but they look nice.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thank you for the review. Looks like a terrific figure.

4. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    I ordered mines today. Can't wait to get it... More pics would be awesome on this thread. Your link attached did not open for me..not sure why..

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great! Waiting on the video review:thumbs2: 

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, that's a disappointment with the front insect legs. Everything else seems nice though. Cool that he also put 3mm stuff on his arm.

7. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    This one doesn't even need a different head. I like it!

8. C16

C16 Space Nomad

The weapons look cooler than I thought they'd be, but I'm disappointed you didn't take a single blatant G1 pose shot of him with the horn pointing up behind the head, instead of pointing forward over the head. Can it do that in robot mode?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  9. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aww you're missing out on some quality stuff.

Yeah it's a very fun toy.

That's odd... but then again my web host has been throttling my bandwidth recently. I wonder why...

Hmm maybe I should reconsider my stance on video reviews.

Yeah, but let's be honest... we're rarely going to keep it in insect mode anyway.

Haha I can only work with so much. Even if you had it somewhat sticking straight up, it's just so massive that it looks weird.

10. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get mine!

11. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Can't wait to get mine!

12. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    OP: so the legs that hold the scythes in front bend back easily? The promo pics suggest that they bend forward more. Do they fail to hold that position/pose?

13. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Nice review. Nice figure(s).

Not a big fan of bugs, though...

FP RULZ!

14. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    Man, I don't even have Thundershread yet, and Stormbomb is shaping up to be my fave so far! I love the weapons on these guys, and the ninja look is very neat!

15. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Still like to see it. I'll have mine soon, but it's always cool to see what you can do with it before you get it! Bombshell is my favorite Insecticon too.

QUESTION: The yellow section of the chest, is it molded yellow plastic or painted over in yellow? Going to be removing the ninja symbol so I want to know what I'm going to deal with here.

16. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I really dig the weapon. Not every day you see a transformer with a chain.

17. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Coolsux,

Great review, but could you please split up the Robot section into a couple of paragraphs as I find it really tough to follow since this site uses a sans-serif font.

Thanks.

18. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What do you mean? The scythes peg into the holders that connect to the shoulder joint via a balljoint. This balljoint offers way more movement than it should and is actually not that strong to hold the figure up. It Aldo doesn't help that the scythes don't peg in very tightly either.

I'll they to conjure one up soon. Going off memory yeah... That yellow chest panel is painted on unlike thundershred. You might just want to put a sticker on top of it without rubbing it off.

done

19. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    That makes clear to me the problem. Thanks!

20. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review. Stormbomb looks much better than Thundershred. I think I may only pick up him and Backfiery.