FansProject CA-03 Thundershred Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Skyfire21, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay it seems that I'm starting to feel the sting of 3rd party goodness (I'm a sucker for insect-type transformers). Perhaps I may consider ordering the entire set. Will probably be my first expensive purchase so far. Btw how is the plastic quality on Thundershred? Is it as good as an official Hasbro figure or better and would it be able to stand up to lots of transformations (I like to transform my figures quite a bit)? Normally I'm not much of a third party fellow, but I'm considering getting started on at least the Fansproject Insecticons seeing as like I mentioned above, I have a penchant for bugs and the like.

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i also like to transform my figures quite a bit, the plastic quality seems as good as hasbro's they've really improved it since they did defender imo, just remember not to force the claws too much

3. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    I agree. Again, since this is my first 3rd party figure (not acessory) I must say the plastic quality is just as good as hasbro's. I'd love to see a "making of" video about how fans project creates these guys.

4. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    Quick couple questions for all you fellow Thundershred owners: Is the forearm slot for the blades the main cause for the breakage, or is it the size of the posts on the blades themselves? Is it more advisable to widen the forearm holes rather than trimming the blade posts?

I'm scared that trimming the posts of the blades themselves will make them loose when attaching them to their connectors on the shuriken assembly. I've already broken the post off one blade, and Stormbomb brought me a new set for relief. I trimmed some of the older blades, but they attach fairly loosely to the shuriken holes even though they fit fine in T-Shred's forearms. I just want to be sure before I start taking a knife to the replacement blades.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You've got a little leeway to trim down the blade posts themselves, they fit quite tightly into the hub that just a little bit of material probably won't harm the connection much.

But it's probably better just to widen the holes in the gauntlets a bit instead.

6. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I shaved down the blade posts - it was easy, fast and works a treat.

7. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    Thanks, folks. I shaved a bit off the gauntlet holes and my Thundershred no longer lives in fear of being blade-less. Now to tinker with configurations...:p 

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, one of the first things I did was test fit everything, and found that the gauntlets are extremely snug. I personally recommend using an X-Acto type blade and not slicing, but gently shaving three sides of each plug hole for the blades. As in inset the blade into the hole, lay the edge of the blade into a corner, and drag it lightly along the side to remove just a little bit. I did this on both longer sides, and on the "top" side, furthest from the arm, twice each per socket, and it made them fit perfectly. Plenty snug, but just loose enough to insert and remove without any trouble.

9. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's roughly what I did. Also, it's worth noting (and probably already has been) that what can cause the blades to break is the angle at which they're removed. If the blades are pointing down while in the gauntlet as the box photos show, and they're pulled upwards (away from the hand), they can hook into the holes and resist coming out. If the blades haven't been tightened this will put a lot of stress on the post, but even trimmed can cause stress if I'm not careful.

10. jappy247

jappy247 galvy for prez

just got mine today. i was kind of skeptic at first but i am super stoked about this series. only gripe i have about it is the yellow chest piece is a tad loose. anyone else have this problem?

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine was like that out of the box too. It rattles a bit. Someone on the podcast's was like that too (I think Aaron?)

I doubt it's a real problem though.

12. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    anybody missing blades on their ca-03? mine got only one pair

13. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Email the company you bought it from.

14. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Mine rattles, but it doesn't really make much of a difference really. It becomes nice and tight when it transforms into alt mode, so I'm not going to give it much of a thought. Take it apart and apply a bit of super glue if you're worried something is going to happen.

15. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: To get the legal stuff out of the way: Thundershred is not a Transformer in the strictest sense, as he was not produced by either Hasbro or Takara-Tomy. He’s a third party product by Fansproject and pays homage to the G1 Insecticon Shrapnel. For legal reasons he can’t be called that, of course, so Thundershred it is. Btw, this is actually the fourth name for this character by now. The Robot Hero version was called simply Insecticon, while the Universe re-issue carried the name Sharpshot.

Robot Mode: Let’s start by comparing Thundershred to the Decepticon he’s paying homage to. First off, Thundershred is a lot bigger than G1 Shrapnel, height-wise he’s somewhere between a Scout- and a Deluxe-class figure. Mass-wise he’s firmly in the Deluxe size-class, though, as he’s quite a broad guy. More stocky than Shrapnel ever was, actually. Shrapnel’s main characteristics (look-wise), the two pincers from his beetle mode that sit on his shoulders, can be recreated using Thundershred’s blades (more on that below). The main difference is the face, as Shrapnel had a human face under his visor, while Thundershred’s face is composed solely of a visor and a mouth guard. So resemblance-wise he’s good, but not great.

Resemblances aside, let’s look at the rest of the figure. Thundershred is as posable as you’d expect a modern-day Transformers figure to be. His shoulder joints are somewhat strange, comprised of several “layers” that unfold depending on how you move the arms. That’s needed for the transformation. It’s not really a hindrance, just takes a moment to get used to. The only real limitation is on the legs, which he can’t spread very far at the hips. Otherwise, no complaints.

Thundershred’s weapon is a big four-bladed shuriken that can be disassembled into up to eight individual blades. Thundershred can hold the assembled or partially assembled shuriken in his hands or store it on his back (which is how he can imitate G1 Shrapnel’s huge pincers), while two blades apiece can be plugged into the modules on his forearms. In my opinion he looks best with the medium-sized blades, as it gives him that popular Wolverine look, but make up your own mind here. The modules where the blades are plugged in can be removed from his arms and they can attach to other Transformers with c-bars. I’m somewhat missing a long-range weapon here, but given that Thundershred, according to his profile, apparently has some sort of elemental power at his disposal, he probably doesn’t need it.

All in all Thundershred makes for a very decent robot. The different ways to configure his blade weapons makes for a lot of variations in looks, too. Resemblance to G1 Shrapnel is present, if not exactly stellar. So bottom line: a good robot mode, but not Fansproject’s best work.

Alternate Mode: Just like his G1 predecessor, Thundershred transforms into a mechanized stag beetle. The transformation is a tad more intricate than it was for the original figure (which pretty much just laid down on its back), but not terribly complicated, either. The only thing that takes some fiddling is the arms, which slide into the folding legs. It works, but takes a moment to get everything positioned right.

Once done, the resulting mechanized beetle is huge compared to his G1 incarnation and actually looks a whole lot more like an insect. Oh, you’d never confuse it for a real one, it’s clearly mechanical, but it has six legs, the pincers (formed from the blade weapon) look far more natural and while it doesn’t have a proper head, it has a sort of cockpit that gives a reasonable impression of one.

Thundershred’s pincers are posable and can grab other Transformers without problem. His six legs are on balljoints giving him some limited posability here, too. All in all this mode does what it’s supposed to, portraying a menacing-looking mechanical beetle. So thumbs up.

Remarks: After producing hit after hit it was probably inevitable that Fansproject would eventually strike out and now it has happened and the name is Thundershred. That’s not to say that Thundershred is a bad figure, far from it. But when compared to brilliant Fansproject toys like the Warbot Defender, the City Commander and the Protector Upgrade, Thundershred falls somewhat short. What you have here is good, decent figure that nicely upgrades one of the original Insecticons for present times and I would have had absolutely no qualms buying him for about twenty Euros (about thirty dollars). But at nearly fifty dollars, I have to say he’s a bit overpriced. So basically a good figure, but due to the price tag recommended only to die-hard Insecticon fans and Fansproject enthusiasts.

Rating: B

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm leaning towards the more classic look.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits: