FansProject CA-03 Thundershred Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Skyfire21, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Skyfire21

Skyfire21 A Challenger Approaches!

Ebay:
    This is basically a quick review until the people who usually do this get to it. I got this guy in today from Tfsource, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Front view (Bad flash from camera)
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

Back view (showing weapon storage, uses a peg)
    [​IMG]

Face close up
    [​IMG]

Blurry size comparison
    [​IMG]

How the blades attach to arms, uses a clip, which is how you can get them on his shoulder for alt mode and for classic looking Shrapnel.
    [​IMG]

No alt mode pics, but it's not really that great. 3/4 of the forearm blades are fine on mine, but one of the tabs was a little thick and it snapped off, just super glued it back on.

Lousy quick photo pictorial, but I see people asking for it.

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Wow he's a lot bigger than I though which is awesome news. Can the pinchers go on the shoulders? So it looks more like shrapenl

3. Skyfire21

Ebay:
    They can, they go right next to his head using the clips which you can kinda see in the close up shot, which is also why there are little indents there.

4. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Fansproject Thundershred pictorial review

So I was lucky enough to get one of the first Thundershred’s sent out by TFSource (thanks Curt!) last Saturday and I’ve finally had some time to get a pictorial review up.
    Thundershred comes packaged in robot mode, but since we’ve already seen a bunch of pictures of the packaging I’ll concentrate on reviewing the figure itself.

Let’s start with the robot mode: All in all he is a really good representation of G1 Shrapnel. A lot of design cues come straight from him; the rounded shoulders, the stocky locker legs, the crest on his forehead, the visor eye and of course the color layout. As you can see in the pictures below, there are also a couple of different ways to add Shrapnel’s classic shoulder mounted beetle horns using the 3mm compatible clip system that is used to attach the blades.

Articulation is very good with his head on a ball joint, and shoulder and elbow swivel and “regular” joints. Oddly enough there are no wrist joints though. There is also a waist swivel, ball joints at the hips, and a swivel just under the hip joint to turn his thigh along with standard knee joints. His feet are on balljoints.

His size is pretty impressive – I expected the Insecticons to be more scout sized but given his mass, Thundershred is closer in size to a small deluxe. Finally, it’s fun switching his blades around to create a giant shuriken, forearm claws, as well as the shoulder mounted horns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Transformation: Thundershred’s transformation is a bit more fiddly than I’d like but it’s not too bad. Most of it is pretty straightforward but you have to work a bit to put his arms away properly.

Beetle mode: Thundershred’s beetle mode is definitely much better than G1 Shrapnel’s. For one thing, he actually has legs! The legs are pretty nicely positioned to hold his weight – I did add some floor polish to a couple of his looser leg joints and he stands even better. My only gripe with this mode is that it looks more like an insect-like vehicle as opposed to a robot insect. The main reason is the lack of any insect eyes and the inclusion of what looks like a red windshield on his insect “head”. Also, the body as a whole doesn't look all that insect like. Given your personal opinions though, you may find that an insect-like vehicle makes more sense than a giant robot insect. :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

QA issues: Okay, on to the not so good. This was the first time I’ve run into any major QA issues on a Fansproject toy, although it’s likely that I was just unlucky. I have already contacted Curt to see if I can get replacement parts for these… Again, given that this was released by Fansproject, I can’t imagine these being widespread issues.

The part that all the blades attach to for the giant shuriken has a small post on it to plug it into the robot’s back and into the insect mode. On mine this was pretty much broken off straight out of the package with just a little bit of plastic holding it on. I have glued it but I am now extremely cautious with this part as it plugs in pretty tightly.

The second issue is that his right shoulder is so floppy that I cannot get him to hold his arm out to the side at all. The type of joint used is basically 2 pins where the male part on one pin seems to slide into the other pin. The problem is that on mine the 2 pins aren’t tightly linked, leaving the arm totally floppy on this joint. The other arm on the other hand is perfect.

Overall. Thundershred is definitely a welcome addition to your Classics collection, especially if you liked the original Insecticons. The only thing I feel are missing is some kind of hand gun and a more insect looking alt mode. Now, bring on Stormbomb and Backfiery!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    You are a Greek God of yore for posting this, thank you. I've been waiting for a pic review.

He's as good as bought.

6. Soundwave3k

Doh! I got beaten to the review while I was editing mine. :p 

7. Skyfire21

Ebay:
    Yours is better anyway, lol.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny how the reviews for this all started popping up at the same time.

9. Dread_Wing

Dread_Wing Decepticon

Awesome review for a neat little figure. I hope Curt can get you those replacement parts ok.

I really think there will be a scope for a weapons kit for these guys. Some chromed handguns, a chrome cerebro shell launcher for Bombshell, and some nice chrome blades for Shrapnel.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    shorter than id expected in robot mode, bigger than id expected in alt mode lol. nice

11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
  12. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Can the Thundershred threads be merged?

13. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    You should be fine for replacment or parts. My Explorer came from TFSource w/ 2 cracks in hinges for the vehicle kibble, & I got a new one fairly quickly, after I E-mailed Curt w/ pics & a description of the problem.

I really hope these don't sell out before I have money to buy them...

Though, you forgot in your review to point out the 3mm Clip Points... I can see some on his legs, & found the ones by his head in the pics from FansProjectcore.com. I only mention this, as not everyone knows he is Clip-system compatible.

14. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Question. Is the design on the abdomen a sticker and can it just be peeled off?

- Gregg

15. Skyfire21

Ebay:
    Not a sticker, but I imagine rubbing alcohol or something would work.

16. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got horrible QC on my Warbot Defender. I really hope I don't get bad luck on this guy either.

17. Soundwave3k

Yeah, I think he posted that while I was editing mine. Just waiting for the mods to do some merging. :) 

Yeah, he's really good about that. I've just had really bad luck lately and had to ask him for replacement parts for both Perfect Effect Frenzy and Reflector.

It's a tampo. Rubbing alcohol would probably be needed.

Damn, you're right. Editing the original post...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  18. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Is that yellow area painted though?

@ Soundwave3K
    Sounds good to me buddy. :thumb 

19. Soundwave3k

Nope, it's actually yellow plastic.

20. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Nice....gotta get these...but when they all come in....