Fans Toys FT-29 Quietus (Masterpiece Cyclonus)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by icemanff23, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Hey guys,the other day I posted about a Unicron,but now that leads to another inquiry,namely the one who almost got the Matrix which is Ultra Magnus,why do you suppose FansToys or other 3P's (aside from KFC Citizen Stack),to me Ultra Magnus always represented who should have been leader after Optimus died,but by some stupid logic Hot Rod got it and became Rodimus,that to me seemed like the biggest mistake ever in TF History,and naturally after Rodimus got it what did he do but second guess himself always comparing himself to Optimus as never being good enough.

So with that said do you think FansToys will ever do their own version of him,I sure hope so.

2. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Periods are sometimes better than commas in a sentence.

Also if you dislike Rodimus so much why did you name yourself after him? Just an honest question, not meant to insult.

As for Ultra Magnus...it hasn't been enough time. The Takara one still sells, and in my opinion instigated if not started the move towards cartoonish aesthetics, meaning the market for it might not be there. They might get some people if he changed into white Optimus, but would it be enough to offset the costs for design and molds? All this is just my opinion.

Now a Rodimus Prime? That might have some takers as MP-9 has left a bitter taste in some mouths with his knee issues and hasn't been in stock anywhere near as long as MP-10 or MP-22 has over the years, meaning less demand for it.

3. Knight Prime

Knight Prime Well-Known Member

That color purple looks good on him

4. Pcm979

Pcm979 Some Guy

Well, after 30+ hours I've finally had an opportunity to really mess with my copy of the toy and gather my first impressions.

He's shorter than I thought he'd be, I'd daresay too short, and the transformation was extremely unpleasant the first time around; I question whether the metallic paint can survive the scuffing it's going to endure over time. The posability is average at best, and I question his screen-accuracy. His back kibble is terrible - surely it could have compacted down more - and his limbs pop off their ball joints at the slightest provocation.

But he is just a targetmaster, after all. On to Cyclonus!

First things first: I have not transformed him yet. As a rule I don't transform triple figure toys without watching one of a small number of reviewers I trust do it first; None of them have uploaded videos yet. That's why this is just a first impression.

So here are my thoughts in no particular order:

Articulation: A mixed bag. I've gotten him into a number of dynamic poses without too much trouble - kneeling down and pointing to the side, yelling orders to the troops, right now he's actually doing a menacing walk, balancing on one foot and the very tip of his other foot's toe - but I do have problems. Most importantly, the limited shoulder articulation. I'm no engineer, but I see no reason why they couldn't have engineered some level of outward articulation into his shoulders, and it would have expanded his posing options immensely. Less importantly, I would have loved some more flex in his toes; I have him balancing on one foot because I have to, not because I want to.

The limited waist swivel doesn't bother me - he can turn to the left or the right about as much as the average human could, in my estimation - and I'm not flustered about the lack of ab crunch, especially since he has to hide 50% of his vehicle mass in the area a crunch would need to be engineered into. None of these are dealbreakers to me, even if I lament the inability for him to get into a crazy, wide-armed pose that I'd immediately take him out of in the name of saving shelf space. Perhaps if I intended to make heavy use of the swords I'd be more put out, but he can point a gun - or a finger - just fine.

Height: It's fine.

Sculpt & Engineering: As everyone else has said, he looks amazing. The finish is spectacular, the faces are sharp and characterful, the detailing is present without being overabundant, the alt mode utterly disappears, and he overall just feels like Cyclonus. That's what matters to me more than screen-accuracy. His hips skirts move outwards on mine - the right one easily, the left one with force - and while I'd like them to move out further, I got him into a pretty darn deep crouching pose with what they gave me. Perfectly satisfied. On the other hand, the sculpt being so beautiful makes the few flaws I can see all the more glaring. For one, the neck looks weird when turned to the left or right; It only looks fully integrated into the body when he's facing straight ahead.

Just like on Eligos, I detest the location of his bicep cuts. Dead centre in the middle of his arm, they utterly shatter the sculpt when used to any extent, and even when not used they stand out glaringly against the white plastic. I wish the cuts had been moved up and hidden under his shoulderpads.
    The three-layered collapsed wings look fine from the front, but really weird from any other angle, and the very tips of the wings don't seem lock in at all, and tend to wiggle around and into odd positions at the slightest opportunity.

The hands do everything I want Transformer's hands to do - point, punch, hold weapons, talk to the hand - but something about them feels off. I don't think they're too big necessarily, but just in general something feels odd about them. It might be their size, it might be the finger lengths, but something just feels wrong.

All of the ratchets he has work perfectly, but he really, really needed ratchets on his outward hip movement! That's something that I know could have been put in easily. Ratchets in his arms would've also been nice, but are far less important to me.

It may sound like I've been whinging, because I have been, but in general he looks amazing in any position I can get him into, and while I would've liked to be able to get him into more, I'm not outraged at the oversights.

Purple: He isn't. That makes me sad.

Accessories: Excellent, with one highly situational caveat. The faces are great - as I said before, characterful and expressive - and easy to swap. I haven't changed to the MTMTE head and I never will, so I can't speak to swapping that. Likewise, I'm not going to use the hip skirts. I did mess with the swords, though, and I was surprised that the scabbards came off easily! I was expecting to have to grease them to get them off like everyone else. Another thing that surprised me was that the sword's handles don't have any tabs on them; This is presumably to make it possible for him to hold them in more dynamic poses, but I wonder if he'll hold them tightly enough.

I like both of the guns - the purple one looks fine to me, and the silver one looks amazing - but here's the highly situational caveat; On mine, the silver, winged gun won't tab into his left hand! No matter how much force I apply, it pops right back out! I might have to shave down some of the paint on its left-side tab! I know, the world is ending!

Nightstick is fine. He's well articulated (for a Targetmaster), well sculpted (for a Targetmaster), and most astonishingly of all, actually looks like a gun in gun mode, and not just a tiny dude doing weird yoga! The transformation was a bear the first time - I only managed to get his legs folded up and pegged together and in place properly after one of them popped off the ball joint - but has gotten easier on successive attempts. I also don't mind his back kibble. Still, Cyclonus already has two great guns, so I don't know how much use Nightstick is going to see. That's not his fault, though; It's my own preferences.
    See, Targetmasters have always conceptually been my favourite of the -master gimmicks, but in execution, I've never quite known what to think of them, especially with a character I think of as a solo act as much as I do Cyclonus. But that's just me. I did get a pretty funny pose of him standing at Cyclonus's feet and mimicking the latter's 'barking orders at the troops' pose!

Die cast: The chest shouldn't be. Aside from the scuffing issues others have reported, it upsets his balance.

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but this post is already too long.

TL;DR / Summary:
    I really like this toy. It looks fantastic, it oozes character, it poses surprisingly well (although I'll admit that the last part may fall under the heading of 'the tyrrany of low expectations'). It has a number of flaws, from minor (weird hands) to major (chest scuffing) to just plain lazy (shoulder articulation), but while I would like it to do more - and what is galling is that I know FT could have made it better if they tried - what it comes down to is this: What are you buying a three-figure toy for? I don't know about you, but at that price point, I always baby them. I always treat them delicately and take my time posing and transforming them. I'm cautious with them to the point of paranoia, and don't transform them very frequently. So finding out that I need to be cautious with this guy and shouldn't transform him frequently - I'm already there.

I have multiple cheap, durable Cyclonuses I can transform easily and quickly, swoosh around the room, scuff up, knock off the desk. I do that with them. I love them. This guy I bought for other things. And so far, I love him. Maybe the transformation will make me hate him. We'll see.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Rodimus Mike

Ebay:

To be honest for my username its kind of a double standard,on one hand I couldn't stand the character(s) but for the actual figures/vehicles I thought they looked pretty nice,that is why I chose the name.As for MP22 I just think he fell a little bit short of what I expected,and Citizen Stack granted looks way better than MP22 but the problem with him is he is just a little out of my price range,if he were say $150 I would surely bite,but not at almost $200.Maybe Chosen Prime or BBTS will have him by Black Friday and have him on sale for that,but I doubt it.Hope that answers your question.Later.

6. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    This may be the best pose I’ve seen so far. Once he has a decepticon insignia, it’ll be perfect.

7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Do you really want Stack? Are you in the US? I'll have to make sure I'm not missing anything (besides the box, which I definitely don't have), but I'll consider selling you mine.

8. Knight Prime

Trying a new direction
    LRM_EXPORT_311881337127038_20181107_224830880_1541679888849.png

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 7:28 AM
    • Like Like x 10
  9. Knight Prime

I know some are having trouble with hip skirts not lifting out. You have to lift the panel from the inner most part, closest to crotch. If you lift from the outer edge it will not move.

10. MINDVVIPE

MINDVVIPE Well-Known Member

Applied a bunch of pledge to the chest to see if it will protect it from any future scratches.
    If it works, I might just do this on my replacement chest to make sure it's safe for much longer.

• Like Like x 4
  11. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

What’s more G1 toon accurate - clean shaven or goatee?

12. BlankMan

BlankMan Member

Probably both. I've seen him with or without it during season three. Sometimes within the same scenes. I personally like the look of either option on this guy.

13. Mentasm

Mentasm Instrument of Destruction

None of the above. I bought two sheets of waterslide paper a while back (one white, one clear) and then printed the logos from this site using the laser printer at work. They came out fairly well and were very cheap to produce. The only real issue is with cutting out the white backed ones, particularly the 'Con insignias.

Flash photography makes him look purple. I have a bunch of shots where he looks the same colour, but he is most definitely more blue. To illustrate, here's a photo of my figure taken with a flash in different lighting conditions. Looks like a totally different paint job, but a complete misrepresentation of the actual colour. My previous pics are actually much closer to the true aesthetic.

Q1.jpg Q2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 4:16 AM
  14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I lean towards clean, myself (mostly because I kinda count the movie as his "true" character model)

15. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Which one do you like more?!

16. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Try it out, try it out man

My display's been moving around a bunch thanks to Quietus here...he's too pretty to not be in front, but Carnifex is still keen on stealing the shot. display (2).JPG

• Like Like x 4
  17. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

I personally like the goatee vibe bc I’m a Jim Rome fan lol, but looking at the screen stills it appears he was sans facial hair in TFTM ... so guess I have to roll with his authoritative anime appearance since the rest of my MP display has gone full toon (and they say never go ‘full toon’ ha)

• Like Like x 1
  18. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Hmmm, ok! If I were you I would go with what I like the most.

Being a slave of accuracy is not good either!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rodimus Mike

Ebay:
    After having Quietus for a while now and displaying him in both his G1 and IDW bot mode I feel the IDW just doesn't look right in my opinion,so I think I will either put his head and accessories back in the box or give them to my nephew,he loves stuff like that to make new figures out of.But to me Quietus just represents his G1 Character so much better.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Pcm979

Pcm979 Some Guy

I go for the goatee. To me his face just looks empty without it, and it also visually links him to Galvatron, Scourge/Sweeps and Unicron.

• Like Like x 1