Fans Toys FT-19 Apache (Masterpiece Springer)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by C310 Ginrai, Jul 14, 2016.

1. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For one second

2. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

I assume it looked better than FT’s offering?? Haha ... hopefully they can kill it with their take on Blitzwing and let my love for all Soviet military hardware Men-In-Black my memory of their first triple-changer offering, at least when it comes to that all-in-important third mode ...

3. ferrari35

ferrari35 Well-Known Member

Not a fun transformation but a good looking figure and I'm so glad there's no raised bit to put a Autobot sticker on shoulders are a bit of a let down and the thigh swivel is very dated just waiting on koot now

4. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Well-Known Member

I cannot choose between all of these Springers!

• Like Like x 1
  5. pg52282

pg52282 TF fan since 1986!!

I love my Big Spring but Apache is tempting me more everyday.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blazing Mewtwo

Is there anywhere I can find Apache?

7. pg52282

I'm watching this on ebay.

zongbo1026 | eBay

Seller's on the good eBay sellers list. I'm planning on buying Apache, a KO Tigertrack and a KO G1 Prime from him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blazing Mewtwo

That's good news, thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. pg52282

No problemo.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I like the feedback on transformation because it gives me a chance to reflect on what I think is becoming the unnecessary complexity of transformation for poseability and to fit a certain aesthetic.

I was always worried with Kup and Springer (and to a degree, Arcee and Hot Rod) because their alt modes do not make for easy engineering into a reasonable bot mode without a lot of panel flipping and tab sticking to make everything fit and look right. FT Phoenix is one that gets this right, but he doesn't have a lot of curves that need hiding or compromising. The FT Dinobots (which I agree, are a motley band of materials earlier on, but get better with later releases) are the same - their aesthetic matches their simplicity.

But now, MP-36 and Sunstreaker? Beautiful, but all that tabbing and flipping and hiding? Where's the joy in that? There's got to be a balance between MP-12, for example, and the newer releases. I think we may have hit the high water mark with some of these FT releases, regarding the complexity, where people are just not enjoying the transformation part of the experience. I asked earlier about how people would score a transformation, and the responses were interesting for Koot and Apache.

That said, I don't want to know what out there would score a 10. Maybe we'll never see one, because manufacturers will have understood that you can push the art of toy engineering to a point, but if they don't play with them, then maybe you're making it too hard for them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

I think Phoenix is a 10 for transformation. The Takara Datsun transformation is a 10 for me

Just tf’ing Apache for first time tonight. Bravo fanstoys on taking the feedback on the directions. I felt like koots booklet didn’t express the movements well. So far I’ve found Apache’s very sequential and clearly showing what’s moving and where

12. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

This is a pretty fair assessment, IMO. After going from bot to car to copter and back to bot, I have to say he's probably my least favorite FT purchase. Looks great in bot mode and copter mode. Car mode isn't great but definitely acceptable (especially for a triple changer). Super sturdy, great paint apps. The transformation is just awful though. I actually think Koot's is better. I can't tell if the transformation is what's getting me down or if it's that maybe i just didn't want a Springer as much as i thought i did. And while the bot mode looks great, there's something slightly off about it that i can't put my finger on.

Still a solid FT release, but in a year that gave me Sovereign and Phoenix, I'm just kind of meh about this guy. Anxiously awaiting Berserk.

13. Scowly Prowl

Just to clarify - 1 is easy, 10 is hard.

I think previous contributors called Koot an 8, with Apache around a 7 or so. Wardog came in at least an 8, too.

I personally would peg Phoenix as a 6, the Datsuns as a 5.

14. Friendross

damn metric system

seriously folks. don't post and drive

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

I dread to think what a 10 would be.

Though in my mind it's not really a linear thing, you've got complexity and then there's frustrating stuff like bending plastic, stiff joints, lack of room to get your fingers in, unintuitive movements etc. Also panels that don't want to align or require too much pressure.

I've been thinking about how exactly to quantify a transformation sequence, it's surprisingly complex.

16. Friendross

I'd like to revise my previous statement abut the directions being good. The directions reverted to koot levels for car to copter. I do really like copter mode. Batmobile mode was much better in hand then pictures. I'd think apachy gets a solid 7 for difficulty if war dog is 8.

17. Scowly Prowl

Exactly - the use of a comparative scale is to give us an idea of how difficult the transformation to you, the observer, appears. It can be difficult because it's unintuitive, you feel you're going to break something, it looks ugly, that sort of thing - it's in the eye of the beholder.

In a way, I think it's kind of like anything else subjective you apply a scale to: how salty something is, how much pain you're in, how bad this smells.

That being said, a toy with transformation scale of 10 should be something we never see, if the manufacturer's do their jobs.

18. hellex

hellex Well-Known Member

I've heard GCreations Ultra Maximus can be really a pain to transform.

19. pg52282

F**k it. I broke down and just bought Apache. My first Fanstoys purchase and probably won't be my last. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  20. Blazing Mewtwo

Congrats. I want him too

• Like Like x 1