Fans Hobby MB-05 (Monsterbot Grotusque)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Pessimus Prime

Pessimus Prime Slackerbot Commander

He does look great. The colors sound weird but they really work for him. These guys seem to fly under the radar but they are really fun, well made figures. It's a shame that there are so many things coming out this year that are higher priority for me; hopefully he'll still be around when I am able to pick him up.

2. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

So I've had this guy for a few days and man I'm diggin' him. It's my 1st FH purchase - actually I see it as an sort of appetizer for their upcoming Ginrai - and I'm convinced by their vision and design aesthetic (well their Roadbuster was already one of my top 3 most anticipated releases, but that was just from pictures).

They definitely have room for improvement (mainly altmode-wise here) with some issues being a logical product of their aim for simplicity, but I feel confident that with their close interaction with the fans they will keep on growing and refining.

I would normally also write my gripes with the size of these guys - initially I was like 'so this is how Wei Jiang fans want it' - but I am already more than halfway through letting go of my wish for a unifed scale in my collection. But aside from that, the size works great, both in handling and presence. I think Fanshobby's Master Builders will be a stand-alone line of simply great transforming robots (similar to FP's Warbots) that are plain fun; I mean this is my first 3p figure of this year that I just want to pick up and transform. I can't even remember the last time I had this feeling. Can you believe it?

I'm 100% down with these guys.

• Like Like x 4
  3. MechaToast

MechaToast G1? No thanks.

I'm still looking to buy the Fei Long parts if there's anyone that got this figure and is willing to sell them.

4. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Galaxy15.jpg

Some cross-company, cross-generational fun!

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sixo

Sixo Canonical TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    NEW REVIEW! I've put down some thoughts on Fans Hobby Flypro - the link is in my sig, below a few pics. :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just ordered one last night. As a child, I liked the idea of the Monsterbots, but I didn't care for the way they looked back in the G1 days. Their monster alt modes were pretty cool, but their robot modes didn't do it for me. But Fans Hobby took those old designs and somehow made them cool. This one is my first Fans Hobby purchase and despite Feilong being my favorite, I decided to go with Flypro first. I wanted to make sure I have the additional accessories that come with it for Feilong. I also wanted something different. Whether it's official or 3rd party, we seen to keep getting different versions of Megatrons, Primes, and the usual other popular G1 characters like the Mini Bots. But these are different, and yet still very much G1. And that's what attracted me to these.

I'm really impressed with how they pulled off such beefy robot modes. Its a perfect fit for these guys since, like the Dinobots, these guys are brutes. The alt mode articulation doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have read some criticism here about that, but honestly, those who are critical are missing the point. These are giant, chunky brutes. They're not meant to be dynamic ninja's in crazy poses. They're direct-line muscle. Putting a double-headed robot dragon in a wide A-stance isn't in their design or character. And I'm cool with that because they have their own unique look. Fans Toys Dibot's may have more articulation in dino modes, but I just don't see Stomp in a 4-legged A-stance or Grinder in T-Rex mode doing flying kicks. See what I'm saying? That said, Fans Hobby's Flypro and Feilong aren't exactly bricks in their alt modes either. I'm satisfied with their articulation abilities.

It's also looks like these guys shine in robot mode. Articulation seems to be very good and something many of us can work with. In both modes, the ooze personality, and that does wonders, too. I love the presence these seem to have.

I hope to get all of these, and Gunfighter II. Fans Hobby is marching to the beat of their own drum and not trying to compete with other 3rd party companies by releasing their own versions of characters that others are doing. We've got like 4 different MP Springers by at least 4 different 3P companies, for example. Meanwhile FH is doing their own unique thing. That's cool. :) 

I hope Feilong is just as cool as Flypro.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sportimus

News Credits:
    Man, waiting for a package DOES suck! I can't stop watching reviews of this guy to keep me calm. I hope this guy will live up to my anticipation and expectations. Seems like he's pretty cool.

8. Sportimus

News Credits:
    Flyer is seriously under-appreciated. I was never a fan of the original Monsterbots, but this guy is a winner in my book. I don't know why its not getting more love here on TFW because he definitely deserves more attention. Weird alt mode, but badass. This guys is a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I've been scouting out the Fans Hobby Monsterbots initially out of nostalgia(I owned G1 Doublecross and my cousin who I grew up with owned Repugnus) but after seeing Fans Hobby's fantastic designs(I love their chunky aesthetics), I'm soon going to be delving into this line.

Flypro looks so good in all modes and all angles.

10. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

Thank you to Fans Hobby for nocking this set out of the park. :music 

DSCF8352.jpg DSCF8365.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    So are these Monsterbots MP scale or at least inline with the holy grail scale chart?? They don't seem big considering these guys are monsters.

12. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter TFW2005 Supporter

pretty much mp scale, they are a hair shorter than the MT headmasters/target masters.
    I'd have liked them a smidge bigger but its a small complaint.

They are wonderfully different to most of the autobots however, really glad I decided to pick the set up.

edit: quick pic for reference

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. liquidroyl

liquidroyl Well-Known Member

What's the closest plastic match compared to other popular companies? I'm familiar with PlanetX, FansToys, UniqueToys, MMC, Maketoys, Iron Factory. It sounds like planetX to me which I don't love, but hard to judge stuff from sound alone...

14. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

Not sure which company to compare to but the plastic is very solid, includes diecast. They are big and chunky, rivals the FT dinos in size. I would give these guys a solid 8.5. Good set to have. I was gonna pass until I got double cross. I would say Double cross amd Grotusque are best. Repugnus' bicep swivel were a tad bit loose on mine but a close 2nd.

Price-wise these guys are about $15-20 cheaper compared to other bots their size. Best pricing available.

15. Sportimus

News Credits:
    In regards to the comparison with MakeToys Headmasters, the Headmasters seem to be the ones that are a bit too big. MP Chromosome being nearly as tall as MP-10 Prime, well, is a bit far-fetched, IMHO. It's subjective but I believe it isn't the best comparison.

I have Flypro, and he's a tad shorter than MP-10 Rome. Not by much. He has a lot of bulk (in a good way), which gives him a much larger look, and that is where he shines. Though not quite as tall at the Fans Toys Dibots, he'll definitely give them a run for their money, and maybe even ruin their day in a fight. The G1 toys that these are based on were odd-balls in the line back than. They weren't to scale to anything, really. So Fans Hobby had to give it their best estimate on how large they should be compared to other MP Transformers. And I think they're fine as far as their size goes. Flyer easily dwarfs the MP G1 car bots and is a force to be reckoned with when standing next to FT Sever, Soar, Stomp, and even Grinder despite being shorter. He's got mass on his side. Part of that is subjective as I kind of prefer the Dinobots to be taller.

I'm not a plastic expert, but the plastic is by no means cheap. And the die-cast is is pretty nice, too! My copy of Flypro is solid with no erie creaks or flexing. Everything stays in place and joints are the right tightness. I also have their Gunfighter II, and it too is rock solid. Plastic feels good in hand for me. Fit and finish is very good to even excellent. Paint apps on mine are flawless. My ONLY complaint on Flypro is that, like on Feeling, his knees don't quite bend 90 degrees. Moving a panel, you can, but otherwise, it's more like 80 degrees bend. Maybe 85 degrees. Besides that, I give Flypro an easy 95% or A-. Flyer was the one I liked the least in the original G1 line. So this MP one has won me over, which was a difficult task! Gunfighter II (G2 Prime) I would give an A+. I think Fans Hobby has so far put out excellent quality MP products. Transformations are NOT complicated. So if you're looking for an MP to take up your entire afternoon to transform, Fans Hobby is not going to fit that desire.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter TFW2005 Supporter

Plastic is maybe a notch below MT, it's good and solid so no fear of breakage whatsoever, but has a slightly less refined feel to it.

17. Chaoticon

Chaoticon Well-Known Member

For the degree of complexity in transformation, that name might actually be more appropriate

18. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    I've never understood how people can feel the difference between various types of plastic. Plastic is just plastic to me- unless it's really cheap nasty stuff. Maybe it is a skill you acquire after collecting TFs for a certain amount of time....:D 

19. Gojira101

Gojira101 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Same as how people can tell a poor wine from a good wine. It’s all about the senses............... having said that though please, no one admit they lick their toys.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’ve been holding off on these for a while now, though they look good...

They feel a smidge too “chunky” for what I would prefer in robot mode (love the alts)... I also don’t feel like these are anyone’s priority to make so these are likely the only options for the foreseeable future...

Hmmmmm, maybe I’ll put them in monster mode behind G1... or raise the G1s and put these in monster mode in front...

I also wonder if I should wait for a small sale and then grab all 3... hmmmm

2B16569D-0944-410C-8138-7625D0F089C0.jpeg