Fans Hobby MB-04 Gunfighter II (Laser Prime)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Sep 4, 2016.

1. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yes and no. I think his shoulder armor is big, and doesn't leave a lot of bicep. And his arms probably could stand to be slightly longer, but just slightly. I think it's normal for one's wrist to be just below the hip, and his are maybe mid hip. Really, I think he's a lot more proportional than MP-10, whose arms are far too long.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

You know--I always thought that too about MP-10. That is, until I got a hold of MP-10v, where they extended his legs instead. That seemed to be more of the problem, I think. He looks more evened out, and the arms make more sense.

But yeah, with this figure's overall proportions, MP-10 length would be crazy. I think the length would work well if only increased "slightly," maybe a touch more than an eighth of an inch. A new elbow joint with an extension would be enough, though I don't expect it.

3. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    But I don't think they (or Wei Jiang with MPP10) just lengthened the legs. It's subtle, but I think they tweaked the proportions in other spots. It's why those flaps with the lights and bumper bits sit pretty flush against his backpack in MP-10, but they're at an angle with a gap near the bottom on MP10v.

4. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

True, there are other things they modded with the figure that likely helps him overall feel more uniform. I just think the leg length does the most to off-set the long arms.

Still, Laser II/Arch Enemy's arms aren't anywhere near enough to detract from the figure overall. He's just way too much fun. I missed out on the original G2 Laser Prime (started semi-collecting when the first waves came out, then quit before Laser Prime hit), so when Car Robots in Japan showed this guy in such an awesome color scheme and chromed-out octane tank trailer? Had to have him, and he's been a favorite in the collection all this time. Never thought I'd have a Masterpiece-sized version of this guy! Regardless of which version people get, I have to say it's worth the purchase. And I can't wait to get the trailer. :D 

5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

The shoulders and length of the forearm are two of my few minor nitpicks of the figure's bot mode (other than the lack of gun on my Archenemy version), I'd like to be able to do the sword-strung-over-shoulder pose and the Archenemy mold falls just short of being able to do that. Still, MMC's way of articulating Carnifex' shoulder pads was to make them fiddly as hell to transform when they could have just gone for the Galaxy Force Megatron style arm transformation and just made the jet part one piece and then put the shoulders on a pivot joint. That would have made it slightly less poseable but would have been far more stable. Not that I'm not happy with Carnifex now that I've learned his transformation, it's just that sometimes slightly limited and simplistic is better than over-engineered and fiddly, so I can see why this figure was designed the way it was.

6. TMReviews

TMReviews Member

Can someone help explain to me which animated series this figure appeared? I have searched and found no answer. I remember the toy distinctly but not it's origin.

7. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Was never animated, at least not as Optimus. I'm not sure that Laser Op appeared in any fiction, just the G2 toyline.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Punched a squirrel.

News Credits:
    I don't think he had a cartoon appearance. He came out in the G2 stuff.
    In Hasbro's bio he was the six million dollar Prime. Rebuilt after the showdown with Megatron somewhere:
    11308.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. TMReviews

TMReviews Member

Thanks guys. Never understood why it was in the G2 toyline along with the black and red trailer Optimus. Anyways, pulled the trigger on this guy and will be reviewing soon. Deviated from my G1 masterpiece line just for this.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G2 Tank Megatron towered over the G2 repaint of the G1 Optimus Prime toy. So I guess that is why G2 Laser Optimus Prime was made? That and to just sell more toys. Personally, I really like the design and how Fans Hobby made it a cool MP.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

I think "Generation 2" is when the toyline started to diverge from the show. I think the "G2" show was just the G1 show repackaged with intros, while the toyline consisted of repaints of G1 toys plus a few new models such as Laser Prime and Tank Megatron.

I'm sure there's heaps of people on here who know more than me about this though. All I have to go on is dim memories from the 80s of that new intro.

12. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

As Optimus, never. He didn't even appear in Marvel G2 comics (the Hero did at the end). I do vaguely remember (but I could be wrong) that there was a Japanese story with art of this version of Optimus.

However, the G2 Laser Optimus mould was recoloured for the 2000 Car Robots line as Black Convoy. And in that series (and the Hasbro version, RiD, renamed as Scourge) the design featured rather prominently.

Unlikely to be the reason considering that although G2 Laser Optimus is bigger than the G2 repaint of G1 Optimus (a head bigger....plus the shoulders), it still wasn't close to the size of G2 Megatron.

G2 Megatron could be considered a leader class and the G2 Laser a large voyager/small ultra class.

As you said, probably just because they wanted to make another Optimus because Optimus figures sell.

13. dmarsee

dmarsee Well-Known Member

This may have been one of Hasbro's first realizations that selling multiple versions of OP was a moneymaker.

14. Straight Edge

Straight Edge A Legend In My Own Central Processor

So much to unpack here...

A lot of people (for over 20 years) have heard the term "Generation 2" and immediately think of the cartoon after the movie. Or the toys after the show. Neither are correct, and never were.

Generation 2, as you mentioned, was not a new cartoon. It was a re-package of select episodes of the original cartoon with some primitive CGI to cover the scene changes (and a new CGI opening). The toys were, at first, repaints of select original 1984/85 figures. After 1993, however, Hasbro began bringing European-exclusive figures from 1992 and making some new figures as well. By 1995, the plan seems to have been to make Generation 2 into a continuous line with new versions of lots of old characters and brand new ones, too. But the merger with Kenner and the transfer of all Boys Toys brands to Kenner's Cincinnati offices put and end to G2 and ushered in Beast Wars instead.

So Laser Optimus Prime was probably meant to be the start of a new Transformers asthetic, but wound up being the last great vehicle transformer of the 20th century.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Max Rawhide

What @Straight Edge said, plus:

G1 toys were sold from 1984 until 1990 in the USA, and until 1991 (and 92?) in Europe -- while Japan continued beyond that with Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, Return of Convoy, Battlestars....). The G1 story was told in the western world by three/four seasons of a cartoon plus the accompaning movie, and the Marvel comics. The Comics continued long after the cartoon had ended: the US run ended with #80 in 1989, while the UK Marvel run continued after this, telling the continued story of G1 with the old characters and the new toys/characters.

Thus the idea that G2 means everything after the final episode of the cartoon (The Rebirth) is a common misconception. That is all still G1, and there are some very good toys and characters in that time period.

In the early 1990's Hasbro wanted to bring back the cash cow that was Transformers as complete package: toyline, cartoon and comics. The G2 Marvel comics told a a new story (taking place after the end of the G1 comics with the victorious Autobots first dealing with the return of the Decepticons proper, and later both had to deal with a large, new group of Decepticons); the art was the gritty art of it's time and the story was pretty bloody as well -- it was the 90's.

For the cartoon they considered a CGI show, but this was too expensive. In the end they settled on a very halfhearted attempt at a continuation. The cartoon didn't become CGI, but just a CGI intro and CGI effect during the show (the magic space cube), and they didn't even make a new cartoon, but just re-used the old one (which had already been done for season 5 of the G1 series). But this was all the 1990's, so you can't remember this dinly from the 1980's ;) .

As for the toys, the first wave of toys were mostly redone G1 figures (so they at least fitted somewhat with the cartoon), with a sprinkle of new figures. But after this first wave/year, almost every figure was a new design including some very amazing figures like the Dreadwind/Smokejumper set and of course the G2 Laster Optimus Prime toy -- the latter was deemed the best Optimus Prime toy for a very long time, and both were considered of such quality that they could be reissued and fitted in with later series, most notably the original RiD series.

Could be, although after already releasing three Optimus figures during G1 you'd expext them to learn a bit quicker :D . Then again, those three were released over six years against the three years of G2.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

Incidentally, where did the "Generation 2" terminology come from - the show or the toy line? Also when did the community adopt the "G1" term as a back-formation from "G2"? Or was it just immediate?

Pedantry, I say! Merciless pedantry!!!

17. Max Rawhide

Both the cartoon, Marvel comics and the toys had Generation 2 in the title.

And fans likely immediately retro-actively called the original series Generation 1.

18. MrDipnSlip

MrDipnSlip Well-Known Member

Looks like Laser Prime is getting a new head.
    [​IMG]

19. dmarsee

dmarsee Well-Known Member

Tell me more!

20. MrDipnSlip

MrDipnSlip Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1