Fanon Theme

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Meta777, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

We have a thread regarding the humour we would use if we had our own personal continuity of the Transformers franchise.

So, I'm curious to wonder; for those that have deigned to craft their own TF universe, what are the underlying themes and messages you would convey to an audience? How would characters and their situations reflect that theme?

I've give you these two examples from my own fanon-continuity, oh so intelligently named the Metaverse :) P):

First and foremost, morality. Granted, this has been fairly present and debated in other series, but it's fairly more prominent in the Metaverse, how characters view their principles, apply them to the war and whether they adhere to them or are forced to redefine their view. On the one hand, to pick an example, we have Ratchet as a bastion of principle, firmly believing that the war should not corrupt one's views or ideals, classic hero views. On the other hand, Warpath is one who believes in fighting fire-with-fire; mercy is a virtue not be applied to Decepticons, and he has no problem at all with acting as brutal as his enemy.

While tragedies happen, the Metaverse never explicitly focuses on one side or the other; personally, I find it much more stimulating to see how the viewer reacts to the debates of the characters and determine which side they, well, side with :) 

And secondly, the similarities/contrasts of the Autobots and Decepticons. No matter how much both factions alienate each other, we the viewers see that quite honestly, the line is not as distinct as the robots make it out to be. For example, both Bumblebee and Brawl represent a childish naivety, lost without their guiding figures (Hound and Onslaught, respectively) and not understanding the full extent of Cybertron's situation. But we see how the factions have split them: While Bee has been relatively sheltered from the war and thus retains an innocence that is heartbreakingly rare, Brawl has been taught to indulge in it and thus is as fierce a warrior as most other 'Cons.

I find it very interesting to muse on what one can do with their own continuity, so to speak. So, my fellow forumites, what aspects would you want to explore?

2. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

Background:
    I really like and would like to use your two. Especially the point of both sides not being too different when you look through the thin line to separate them. One of the big dividing factors in my continuity however, is the one that first separted them in my continuity; The Autobots were a political/ military peacekeepers group who believed "freedom is worth any sacrifice" while the decepticons were a paramilitary law enforcment group making splashes who believed "Peace at any cost". Both were simply rival groups in the infrastructure of Cybertron until riots caused by members on both sides started. When peacebroker Zeta Prime was assasinated, the war broke out. The war eventually consumed Cybertron and both sides agreed to separate into two empires in treaty.

So, both sides believe they are right, neither side trusts organics as a whole, and both blame the other for destroying Cybertron in the first place. Also, there is the theme of how the war has changed them. Both the race, once proud of the greatest technology in the known galaxy, now a weak and isolated collection of colonies and nomades. But, also how the war has changed them all. For example, Red Alert is cynical, remembers her injuries with remorse, and only fights if there is no other option. Ironhide on the otherhand, loves his many many scars treating each one as a trophy and found himself with an itchy trigger finger now that there was peace. Finally, Bumblebee, Hotshot, and Arcee are the young ones and all represent some form of innocence. (Bumblebee is almost overly cheerful and optimistic, Hotshot is impulsive and sur of himself while Arcee shows absolute trust in the Autobot rules and regulations but is actually untested in the beginning).

That's it for now; may have more later.

3. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

Equality for all and that volince isn't the only way to solve a problem

And that anyone is capable of change

4. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

For my Lone Crusade of Optimus Prime idea, I have a few themes or principles I wanted to explore.

1. The one that inspired the series, was a single question: What if Optimus had no one to rely on but himself and maybe a human ally? Just about every Transformers series goes on about family or friendship, even if it just shows it instead of telling it. Even in Beast Machines and the Bayverse, which focused on other stuff, the good guys had each other. I wanted to explore a series where Optimus was the only Autobot standing between the Decepticons and an unaware humanity. I wanted to demonstrate his great honor and moral fiber by having him stand by his principles, his beliefs in right and wrong, even if the world seems like it's set against him. It's easy to be the good guy when you have people supporting you - the real test is when you're standing alone.

2. I also wanted to demonstrate exactly why showing mercy or compassion to bad guys is not only foolish, it's morally bankrupt: all too often, the bad guy in question regroups for round two, or he goes and terrorizes someone else. My version of Megatron, for example, got mercy when the Grand Council exiled him and his psychotic cult of reformatted Decepticons instead of killing them, and he's repaying them by rebuilding his forces and either waging a proxy war on Earth or terrorizing distant Cybertronian colonies (I'm not sure where to set the Lone Crusade, either on Earth or in space), all preparing for his return.

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    War is real, kid. Good guys aren't invincible, and sometimes the bad guys triumph.

6. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me!

For me, my fanon universe is actually a crossover between my own Gundam Seed universe and TF. But the themes are what you want, and so you shall get.

First, war is not all glory and fame. No one escapes from war unharmed, physically and mentally. And war is not just two sides either. There will always be those who fight for other reasons as well.

Second, no one is invincible, nor are they better than anyone else. People are not better than others overall. Some might have skills that are much more refined in one area while some would be skilled in another area. No one is the best at everything.

Third, trust can be a double edged sword. It can be helpful, but it can also be used against someone.

These are the three themes I want to explore in my fanfic as it comes up, but mainly the war one. Some writers tend to make it so that the good guys win without a single loss or suffering a single defeat. But war is not like that. Lives will be lost, and defeats will be encountered more than once.

7. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

These are very interesting ideas. It's nice to see how you've all thought about would make your series compelling and stimulating to debate/observe. I quite like Honorbound's idea of Optimus being on his own :D 

Regarding that first concept of mine, the theme of morals vs war, we have a rather personified aspect in the dynamic between Bumblebee and Grimlock. As aforementioned, Bumblebee is a very innocent character; he doesn't understand the full mechanics or horrors of the conflict, and thus his naive and optimistic demeanour has not yet been tainted. On the other hand, Grimlock is a brutal warrior, twisted by Decepticon scientists in his theropod form, leaving him in a state of near-constant bloodlust that he struggles to restrain. He is a product of experimentation, and is feared and ostracized by the other Autobots for both his alien appearance and savagery, which of course only serves to further aggravate and embitter him.

And yet, Bee and Grimmy are best friends; in a way, their contrasting natures bring them together. Bumblebee was the only Autobot who showed friendship, not fear or hatred, to to Grimlock, and their close relationship reflects that; Grimlock sees Bumblebee as the innocence and, well, humanity he himself has lost, and latches onto that hope of acceptance, while Bee sees Grimlock as someone who can truly teach him about the full-extent of the war in a way others cannot, a different way to look at things, and thus they form a tight-knit bond. We see that while their friendship is odd, it is necessary, and it is to the point that both of them find it intolerable to be separated.

Bee and Grimlock's dynamic is one of my favourite things about the Metaverse; they contrast, develop and play off each other on a higher tier than other characters :D 

8. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Thank you very much. I liked your ideas on Bumblebee and Grimlock. Grimlock as a twisted experiment is the only way I can see him working these days, and having him strike up a friendship with Bumblebee, one of the few untouched by the war, is a great demonstration that Grimlock is still, underneath that fury and bitterness, a decent man. Even the fact that Grimlock is trying to restrain himself, yet many of the Autobots give him crap for something that wasn't originally his fault, is utterly tragic. On a side note, heaven help the 'Con that messes with 'Bee.

9. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Thanks very much :D 

I do enjoy reading all these ideas and concepts. I think it's pretty cool to just sit down, stretch out the old imagination and see what we can come up with :D 

10. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me!

I have another universe that I have some themes for as well. The famed Encounter Series has several themes that I want to mention.

First, no one can get away with everything. In this story, Sector Seven tries to get away with whatever they want, like taking over the Pentagon, only to be driven back by the U.S. Military. Simmons makes a big mistake taht he will come to regret later on when he is arrested. Same with on Cybertron. The leadership there tries to wipe out the Autobots and get away with murder. But they fail when the High Council finds out about their actions.

Second, allies can be helpful in war. The Autobots gain the help of the humans and become connected through the Resonator bonds that are created. Humans help the Autobots despite knowing the risks.

Another universe I have is in Animated, where there was a previous leadership before the Magnus title represented the Autobot leader. The Primes were that leadership. The themes in here are much deeper than I had expected.

First, secrets can hurt if kept. Ratchet keeps the identity of the last true Prime secret from everyone on his team, including Optimus, who is the true Prime. When Optimus finds out, he is stunned and hurt that Ratchet would keep such a thing from him.

Second, stand up for what you believe in. Prime stands up for the ideals he believes in, which includes the ability to choose one's own path in life. And Optimus tries to uncover the reason behind the Magnus's rise to power.

These are just some more themes that I came up with. I think my first post though holds the most in depth themes that I can ever come up with to be honest.

11. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Interesting ideas, TFrocks. I like the alternative interpretation on the Magnus'/Primes you have.