Fanfic Proposal: The Lone Crusade of Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Honorbound, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Here's a fanfic ide that I think would be interesting. I would like to test the waters and see whether people would actually like the concept before committing a great deal of time and labor to an idea that might prove unsound or unpopular.

What if Optimus had to fight the Decepticons alone; as in, he was the only Autobot standing against Megatron and his horde?

The reason he would be fighting alone is the Grand Council of Cybertron’s Tyrest Accord, which granted the Decepticons amnesty for their crimes and freedom from Autobot attack in exchange for exile from Cybertron. In return, the Grand Council would disband the Autobots as a standing army, replacing them with the Peacekeeper police force.

Optimus knew that Megatron only agreed to the Accord in order to buy time to rebuild his Decepticon forces after the defeat they suffered in the Great War. Megatron’s enormous ego has been mortally offended at this defeat; since this version of Megatron would be a twisted monster that most other Megatrons would kill on sight, his revenge would be hideously brutal.

Optimus tried to build public support for repealing the Tyrest accord, but the Grand Councilors who sponsored it would run a media campaign against him, completely discrediting him and turning him into a social pariah and a fugitive from the law. Long story short, the title of Prime is like the Medal of Honor; the Councilors in question formed a hearing that falsely convicted Optimus of lying about the heroic deeds that got him the title. It would be like a Medal of Honor winner being found out to be a sham. Optimus’s movement was stopped cold with its leader turned into a pariah and a prisoner (lying about something like he was convicted of carries a hefty prison sentence). The Councilors did it in order to preserve the Tyrest Accord and their political careers.

Optimus, knowing that the Decepticons would be free to rampage across the galaxy, harvesting weak, resource-rich worlds (like Earth) and building up for their bloody return to Cybertron, makes the choice to fight the Decepticons anyway. So he broke out of prison, “acquired” a ship and enough weapons to supply a small country (or a Texan nuclear family), and went gunning for the ‘Cons alone.

He knows that he will likely die on some God-forsaken world, far from home, protecting people who view him as a glory-seeking bastard. He knows that he will never have a peaceful life or a chance to start a family again. He didn’t want this fight, but when a man faces a choice between doing nothing - and thereby allowing the butchery of countless innocents – and laying down his life in order to stop the Decepticons from perpetrating their atrocities on other people, he really has no choice.

I’ve had this idea kicking around in my head for a little while, and I’ve finally started to put serious thought into creating the fanfiction. First, though, I wanted to test the waters and see if this would even be popular. I got the idea from the Transformers Armada video game (where it was essentially the player against the Decepticons), and from the cover of Dreamwave’s Transformers/GIJOE #1, set in World War II. Look up “The Line” on tfwiki and you’ll see what I mean. What really reinforced the idea for me also was the intro to Transformers Prime, specifically the part where Optimus is fighting Megatron, Starscream, and the Eradicons alone.

Naturally, this would be a complete alternate universe, untied to other continuities. This allows me to world-build as I see fit, without having to worry about precisely matching characterization. I would be free to do my own interpretations of Optimus and Megatron.

What do you think of this idea? Does it sound good, or am I wasting my time? What questions or suggestions do you have?

2. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    This sounds like a decent kernel of a story idea revolving around a maverick Optimus Prime, but it could do with some more consideration and fleshing out. The points I would direct you to give more thought on are:
    -the characterisation of Megatron (for example, what has made him so brutal and monstrous compared to other Megatron's? What drives him?),
    -Optimus going out to fight a powerful Decepticon army alone (This would be an incredibly isolating experience for Optimus. How would it be feasible (even with a loaded ship)? Perhaps reconsider at least a small team to accompany Optimus or have him make some allies. Aside from providing physical and logistical backup, other supporting characters would also allow for interesting interactions and opportunities for Optimus to tell others of his reasons for doing what he does, and they could be a source of mental and emotional support for Optimus. This would make Optimus' mission and conviction more plausible imo. Optimus could come across as somewhat obssessed, crazy and reckless if he goes out on his own to fight Decepticons.),
    -the Council turning against Optimus Prime (They'd need pretty good reasons to try and discredit and imprison a titled hero. Are the members of Cybertron's ruling body all really so corrupt? They may have sympathisable and genuine reasons for wanting to preserve the 'Tyrest Accord'.),
    -Optimus' rebellion against the higher powers and a peace treaty (What drives him to such drastic, unpopular and law-breaking actions? Would he have attempted to appeal to the Council initially? He doesnt believe in the 'Tyrest Accord', he distrusts the Decepticons and he wants to protect other worlds from their evil? Why are these reasons worth becoming a fugitive and dying for for Optimus?).

In general, my advice would be to give more thought to and flesh out more details for this story before you begin. As you said, setting it in a new universe allows you freedom to do what you want with characters, but this also means that you need to do more work with building-up and creating new characters or new interpretations of characters. You need to come up with motivations, backgrounds, aims and personalities for characters. In contrast, using existing characters from known continuities can save you having to do a lot of character-building work as the characters are already made for you. I also tend to find that stories set in known continuities get more interest than completely new, orginal universes.

With a bit more development, this could be an interesting story.

Anyway, hope these comments are helpful to you!

3. Honorbound

Thank you for responding, Black Oracle. Those are all good thoughts to pursue.

You’re right on Megatron: Any story is only as good as its villain. With this Megatron, it isn’t about spreading a vision, its about reshaping Cybertronian society so that he is on top. In a way, he’s like the conquerors and tyrants of ancient history, complete with their megalomania, grandiose delusions of omnipotence, and horrific sadism. He wants to be powerful and he wants to be feared, because power and a fearsome reputation are serious ego-boosters. The problem is, his delusions ran into the brick wall of reality with his defeat in the Great War – if the Grand Council had fought the war to the end instead of signing the Tyrest Accord for a quick (and inevitably temporary) end to the war, the Decepticons wouldn’t exist today. Megatron knows this, and it absolutely infuriates him. He doesn’t want to rule the Transformers anymore; he wants to utterly destroy them as a species and twist the survivors into thralls in his service.

As a side note, hats off to whoever named him: Megalomania is practically in his name.

You are also correct about Optimus; he’s got a hell of an uphill struggle. While he is enormously powerful thanks to numerous self-inflicted physical upgrades – in addition to being a nastier, dirtier fighter than RoTF Optimus, his best asset is his brain. He’ll use every weapon and tactic he can, from taking advantage of dissent in the Decepticon ranks, to guerilla warfare, to outright crazy tactics that Harry Dresden would be proud of. This Optimus will earn his techspec’s 10 in intelligence. Logistically, I’ll probably have him take his enemies’ stuff to use against the ‘Cons.

You are absolutely right about the supporting characters; one idea I had, and that I think I will run with, is a hidden colony of Transformers on Earth. These guys fled Cybertron during the Great War and have entered radio silence ever since. They don’t know who won the Great War, so they don’t know about Optimus’s status as a social pariah. In addition, many of them are unable or unwilling to fight. However, they have other skills and assets that Optimus can use, such as trained medical staff.

I should have elaborated on this, but the thing with the Grand Council is that they aren’t a monolith that engineered Optimus’s downfall. They are (or were) an extremely divided group, the majority of which is composed of wishy-washy middle-of-the-roaders who follow the polls and trade favors for votes. The few Councillors actually involved in bringing down Optimus believed that the Tyrest Accord would protect them from the Decepticons. They honestly believe that when Megatron signed the Tyrest Accord that he did so in good faith, instead of, as Optimus Primal put it, “When [Decepticons] talk peace, it just means they need time to reload their weapons.” They think that they have established a permanent peace that Optimus’s repeal movement is endangering. That, combined with the loss of power and prestige they would take if their political baby (the Accords) were repealed, pretty much forced them into action. The fact that they are scared to death of Megatron doesn’t help. Granted, there was also a political rival of Optimus’s involved, which I would do better to go into in the actual story.

While the series would begin with Optimus as a fugitive, chronologically it is a different story. Optimus’s rebellion started out peacefully, through non-violent protests in the streets and alliances with different Grand Councilmen. Of course, that was before the pro-Tyrest faction shut him down. As for why he’s doing this, it isn’t about protecting worlds or nations, it is about ensuring that no one else has to suffer what Cybertron, and Optimus personally, suffered. The Grand Council may think that sacrificing faceless people a long way from Cybertron is a necessity for peace, but Optimus believes that no innocent life is worth less than any political goal. When he thinks about the faceless millions that the Council is throwing to the wolves, he doesn’t think of them as an abstract. He knows that they have their own hopes and dreams, their own loved ones and lifelong labors, the same as he used to have. His love for these people, his love for his fellow man, is what drives him to such extremes. To him, the alternative of knowing that what happened to him will happen to others is unacceptable.

TL;DR: Megatron used to want to conquer, but his defeat pissed off his maniacal fury and he now wants to turn Cybertron into a parking lot. Optimus will use every dirty trick in the book to win. He will also work to protect a group of Cybertronian refugees from Decepticon predation. The Grand Council thinks that Optimus is a threat to peace. Optimus is doing this out of his love for his fellow man.

Once again, thank you for your advice. You are also right about how creating new interpretations of characters can be a lot of work. That said, in this case, it would be a labor of love; I want to see where I can take these guys.

4. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

I like your idea, but I feel that in its current state, it is too broad and generic. As a college student who has taken many writing classes, I think you need to find a few specific niches that you can utilize to garner the readers attention. I will give you some ideas here, and you do not have to use them, but think about them and try to expand on them if you do like what I have to say.

1.) Optimus all alone against a Decepticon army would definitely work, but it wouldn't work as well as having a small team, because character interaction, especially from a developing writer, can be key. I want you to think about having OP along with one more autobot that has extreme skill and heavy weapons, because those assets can greatly increase survivability in whatever "out of this world" type settings you're going to use. So for argument's sake, let's say OP and Ironhide. Now you can delve into the history of these two characters relationship and build on it.

2.) Another idea is to have OP and Ironhide team up with a decepticon. Maybe a decepticon who has seen the error of his ways and decides to help OP on his new mission. You can create tension between all three characters here. Ironhide would hate having a decpticon fight alongside him, while OP would trust and appreciate the help. Ironhide and the decepticon could eventually grow on eachother, much like Dinobot and Rattrap from BW.

3.) A third overall suggestion I would make is to tame the origin of your story down. I'm a huge BW fan, not a huge G1 or whatever else fan, so talking about this and that political scrutiny in the TF universe is just boring and bland. Dumb it down for the reader who isn't as hardcore as you are.

Well, I hope this helped. Let me know if I can do anything to assist. :) 

5. WheelJacksWrkShp

WheelJacksWrkShp Here goes nothin'

I have to say, I like the thought of this and where it is or could be going. I like what Hulk had to say...even if he is a BW fan. I think Ironhide is too strong of a character though to team up with Optimus. He might be good to come across along the way but if Optimus breaks out and is loaded to the gills with weapons, why can't his vessel be the best weapon of all? Omega Supreme has always been loyal to Prime and his character is a blank enough slate to build on. Look at the interaction of Omega and Ratchet in the Animated series. Their interaction is similar to what I think could work. This way Optimus is armed to the gills and has a companion of loyalty and understanding. Imagine the ship fighting back the Decepticon that claims to be good every chance Omega gets.

Another character possibility is Wheeljack. Optimus is smart but there has to be a loyalist to do his upgrades.

Man this is making me want to pick back up the book I was writing about 4 years ago.

Best of luck and I will be reading.

6. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    interesting. Your story is almost like mine - which is still in the drawing board - (except it involves Bumblebee, Jazz, and maybe Ironhide dragging Optimus out of depression to stop the politicians. I wanted to somehow connect the classics 2006 voyager optimus bio with the marvel comics :D )

your background info is well thought out, but in my opinion, Megatron sounds a bit "generic". Having him go megalomania after losing his dreams is a bit predictable.

How about this? Megatron actually hangs up the Decepticon leader mantle. Being depressed, he settles down with a female companion, as a civilian. The politicians eventually get paranoid and they actually try to kill Megatron, but end up killing his lady friend. And this is when Megatron says "****ing die you sons of - !" He returns as leader once more, more determined to make destiny his bitch. :D 

bit of a cliche, but hey, it's the thought of making something different counts, yes?

AND YOU MUST HAVE WHEELJACK AS AN ALLY !!!! simply because he's awesome.

7. Honorbound

Thank you all for the input; you’ve helped confirm a few ideas in my head, as well as work out a couple of kinks.

Just about everyone here has said that Optimus needs other characters to interact with, and they are absolutely right. He will gain allies later, but he’s going to have to work for them.

For example, the refugees I mentioned when I responded to Black Oracle will instead be colonists looking to make a home away from a war-torn Cybertron. These colonists will have run afoul of a Decepticon patrol, requiring Optimus to intervene. Another set of allies will be the human resistance that Optimus will aid in the fight to repel the Decepticon invasion of Earth. Another set could be drawn from the mercenaries and Peacekeepers (similar to the Elite Guard, but with a more police bent) sent after Optimus. The last group isn’t guaranteed, though.

However, I want Optimus to start alone, to emphasize the loneliness of his struggle and contrast it with the new friends he wins later on. That way, the reader better understands what a relief these people are to Optimus. They may not be able to fight the battle as well as he can, but they provide valuable moral and logistical support, such as patching up his wounds or making new devices for him.

ARCTrooperAlpha, thank you for pointing out the predictability of Megatron’s descent into megalomania. Because of that useful piece of advice, I’m thinking of retooling Megatron. While he may still want power and he may still be a horrific sadist, he’s going to get a ruthless intelligence and determination to go along with it. You say that he was originally going megalomaniacal after losing his dreams. With this retool, he’s not going to actually give up; instead, he will regroup and try again with a different approach. His megalomania and sadism gave him his goal, now his brain and dedication will be the tools he uses to pursue it.

Another idea that I have finally worked out is the reason the war started. During an archaeological expedition to a previously unknown dig site, a group of researchers led by Optimus and his wife, Elita (yes, Optimus was an archaeologist before the war, though he had served in the military in order to get into the Academy of Sciences) discovered a ruined Quintesson temple. The Quintessons in this series would be a race of five-faced, aquatic creatures who, eons ago, enslaved the Transformers, destroying the world-spanning Cybertronian Empire and bringing about the end of the Second Golden Age. One of their most horrific weapons was a Predator Forge, or just the Forge, a small device or talisman capable of reformatting a Transformer in much the same way that Beast Machines Optimus did, only without the organic addition and with a far more horrific bent to it. A Forge warped its victims into horrifically powerful monsters, enslaved to the will of the Forge’s wielder. The Quintessons used it to make ravening monsters that terrorized their Transformer slaves, keeping them in line and in fearful worship of the Quintessons. When the Quint empire fell from within, the multiple Forges went missing, until Optimus and Elita’s research team found one in that ruined temple. As a side note, the victims of the Forge look like a cross between Bayformers Decepticons and Transtech Transformers. They look monstrous because they are not natural Cybertronians.

The Forge’s discovery brought about furious debate, with many reasonable Transformers wanting to see the vile thing destroyed. Other Transformers, including a radical transhumanist named Megatron, advocating using the thing to take control of the Transformer specie’s evolution, making them stronger. Of course, Megatron’s definition of a stronger species is one where the entire species is mentally and physically enslaved to his will. By doing so, he would make himself their god-king. He literally wants to hammer the Transformers into a “biological” caste system, similar to insects (or to the Vord of the Codex Alera series, if you have ever read it).

Megatron raided the Academy of Sciences, took the Forge – killing everyone but Optimus in the process – and used it to reformat himself and his Decepticons into nightmares that ravaged Cybertron for close to a decade before Optimus led a strike team to destroy the Cybertron Forge. This, along with the route dealt at the Battle of Iacon, forced Megatron to the negotiating table. With the destruction of the Cybertron Forge, Megatron sought a way to continue his dream of playing God with his own people. He found it in his old enemy: Optimus had reformatted himself the hard way – through constant, hideously painful upgrades – until he became the war machine that he is today. Unlike in G1, he rebuilt himself from “Orion Pax” to Optimus Prime. Megatron used this example and left Cybertron to acquire new worlds and resources and perfect new technologies with which to replicate what the Forge did so easily.

I probably should have mentioned the Forge previously, but I wasn’t really committed to it until ARCTrooperAlpha pointed out that my Megatron looked rather generic. I think it also adds history to my universe

Once again, thank you all very much for the ideas. I hope to hear more from you all soon.

8. ARCTrooperAlpha

Ebay:
    very cool background for the Great War and Optimus' personal quest :)  . Crossing Bayformers and Transtech ? Truly an UNHOLY alliance.

Glad to have lend a hand in your story, influencing people pleases me :p  :D 

9. Honorbound

Thank you very much for the help, ARCTrooperAlpha. You ain't the only one who thinks that alliance is unholy; most of Cybertron would agree with you. You also ain't the only one who enjoys influencing people; Megatron agrees with you on that count.

10. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

Honorbound, I love your backstory, this is the kind of stories I like reading: political games, emotional warfare and tact.. But I've got a problem with your latest update. I'm having a hard time believing that if Megatron reformatted himself, wich government instancy would suggest a peacetreaty? I think you might have put yourself in a hard twist here.
    What I suggest is this: Megatron and his troops fight Optimus for the device and makes great casualties. But the Peacekeeper Police force(?) interveines and puts Metagron under arrest and takes the Forge to a vault. The only way to escape his penalty, is that Megatron swears to better his life. So, to make sure he does, the Council launches an investigation and Megatron acts to be trying to change his life. A public happening where he throws down the leadership role of the Decepticons (ARCTrooperAlpha's idea) and so on.
    Let's say a big media play which is interesting to read because you can see the development where Optimus loses his fight to evil, and by describing this struggle, you've got Optimus's motivation to bring Megtaron down.
    Every Cybertronian starts to believe Megatron and Optimus's is started to be seen as the pariah (your idea) and is evicted because he is now seen as the tyrant who doesn't want peace (he's against the peace treaty).
    But this is all Megatron's plan, by gaining this empathy from the public, he can gain access to the Forge vault and so complete his plans. But Optimus is the only one who knows about this plan. So he's the only one who can stop him: one Autobot against the Decepticons.
    Of course, I too, think it's better for Optimus to find some allies, or else you won't be able to keep writing about him, there won't be stuff to talk about anymore. Or you should write from Megatron's point of view... but I think it's more interesing from Optimus' pov, with maybe sometimes a little paragraph about Megatron.

I hope this has helped you a bit and I'll be waiting for your fic and it still is your fan fic so do what you want. I'm sure it'll turn out good either way.

11. Honorbound

By "wich government instantly suggest a peace treaty," you mean that "what government would suggest a peace treaty after Megatron reformatted himself?" If that is the case, then you've got to remember that they had the Decepticons on the ropes; they thought that at that point, they could force Megatron to the negotiating table and establish a lasting peace. The esteemed Grand Council wasn't fighting to win, they were fighting until they could get a reasonable excuse not to. If that means they cut it a little short, then most of them are okay with that.

By the way, I doubt that the public would accept Megatron's reformation; they might be deceived into thinking that Optimus is a fraud, but they've seen and heard Megatron's atrocities during the war (child soldiers, cerebro-shells that destroy the mind before taking over, Pretender Shells created via the IDW method, tactics that would use the Geneva Convention for toilet paper, etc). Things that you and I consider crimes against humanity Megatron considers to be perfectly legitimate, intelligent keys to victory.

Thank you anyway; I might not be able to use your ideas, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the advice.

12. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

Yes indeed, that's what I meant, sorry for the typo.
    If you put it that way, than I'm indeed wrong. Thanks for the elaboration, I hope to read your fan fic soon

13. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Here's another proposal that I think could be interesting: what if you were to present Optimus as an outlaw villain initially and Megatron as the people's hero? Then soon after, as you delve more into the characters and their intentions, we discover that in fact the fugitive Optimus is the good guy fighting in secret to protect Cybertron from an unseen threat and that Megatron is the deceitful and cunning villain fooling Cybertron and its leaders with the ambition of taking over and ushering in a new Decepticon empire?

14. Honorbound

Thank you for your continued help. Your idea regarding the perception of Optimus could work, with a little modification. By having other viewpoints (such as that of a member of the Peacekeepers sent to hunt Optimus down), I could show what others think of him instead of having Optimus explain it to his allies (and by proxy the audience). To that character, Optimus is percieved as the villain, as you described.

However, having that deception include Megatron as the people's hero runs contrary to the Megatron I've described. That said, a villain who casts himself as the people's hero while actually responsible for Optimus's downfall is an excellent idea. That villain would be someone who is willing to ruin a man's reputation and eventually murder him in order to protect his own power base. That villain just wouldn't be Megatron - nor would he be as twisted. I think a more scheming, seriously-depicted version of Animated Sentinel Prime could fill the role.

15. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

I think one should write based on the desire to tell a story regardless of whether or not it will be popularly received. I wrote a long serial TF story called The Melt which is on this board. It probably wasn't well received but it got some great compliments from a notable published author who shall remain anonymous by way of professional etiquette.

And what is fun to read and what is proper technically and literally are two very different things. Authors like Terry Pratchett fuse both technical writing and shoot from the hip folk writing.

16. Honorbound

The first sentence in your post is some of the wisest advice I've gotten on this site; thank you very much.

17. ARCTrooperAlpha

Ebay:

What's The Melt about? I couldn't find it on the board. What was so bad about your sig that it got taken down?

18. ARCTrooperAlpha

Ebay:
    how's the story coming along?

19. Honorbound

So far I have a rough idea as to where I want the plot to go, but I am still working out the kinks in the plan. The way I am going about this is that I am planning out the plot details before I even sit down and type the first paragraph, which gives me a framework to operate off of as I write. In my opinion, it is always better to proceed with a plan in mind than to try and wing it. Some writers are capable of that, but they are extremely rare. I find that flameouts as a result of lack of prior planning are far more common.

I've also had RL issues crop up that need addressing, so I haven't been able to work on this as much as I wanted to. I will try to get this out, but like I said, I'm still in the later planning stages.

Thank you very much for asking, by the way.

20. ARCTrooperAlpha

Ebay:
    Speaking of spur of the moment, I can actually pull that in essays : D. Only under a lot of pressure (aka procrastinating at the last moment) and reading up on info earlier

Just don't have a meltdown writing your story, it's all about time. Best examples? Batman Begins, and (Batman) The Dark Knight. >: D !!!!!!!