Fandom

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JinraiPrime, Feb 7, 2007.

1. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I'd like to speak out on the Fandom and in particular how its become so divided since the announcement of the movie. I cant believe the sheer arrogance of some people for believing they can say for sure what the Fandom does and does not want. Since when does one speak for all... I know many people have hammered this point home from the scope of the movie but as a Transfan I can honestly say that it extends to all aspects of the Fandom especially generations. People insist on speaking on what they think the Fandom deserves, needs, wants, or have gone without. They look at the movie in particular as some sort of personal affront, an assault on their loyalty, a slap in the face... Bay didnt make this movie for any single member of the Fandom, and i would imagine the Fandom was kept in mind, but at a distance. This movie was made to appeal to people who know TFs as well as those who dont.... Its because of this that familiarity is not a primary focus for the creation of the movie. Since a large number of people will be exposed to Transformers for the first time...ever. You can love or hate this movie but what you cannot do is make assumptions on what I as a member of the fandom want, should want or am wrong about because the fandom makes those decisions on an individual basis.

2. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    smartest post on this topic i've read so far. ten points.

3. JinraiPrime

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What is with starting all the threads about problem topics lately? It's almost like you're TRYING to stir up shit.

This is all crap the fandom has been arguing about for months, I don't see the point in starting NEW threads about them. Nothing will get solved.

5. JinraiPrime

I disagree, by coming in here and accusing me of trying to start shit YOU are starting shit, I didnt ask for your opinion on why I start my topics if you have some insight into the topic, please share it with us as to attack me personally take that to PM please. In my defence as i have said in a previous post im not trying to cause shit, im trying to stir up conversation... as another poster was quick to mention in a previous post "Why is it that people with a negative opinion on something speak up on it, they are considered trolling" as that does indeed seem to be the case. I cant disagree with something without actually wanting to cause shit? What i want is an intelligent debate which your welcome to take part in but ill do without the snide remarks thanks.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I didn't say anything about your opinion on it, I just meant I don't see the reason to start up more threads about stuff that has already been argued to death and usually ends up dying in a flamefest.

There are plenty of them already that you could post your opinions in.

7. Veritechnium

Veritechnium Well-Known Member

You have a point, it does seem people that make a post that disagrees with the norm are accused of stirring things up. For example if someone starts a thread asking a certain question about generations or where TFs are going or something that will inevitably have many opinions talked about, why make those that speak in criticism feel guilty when it was the whole point of the thread to debate or discuss something in the first place?
    Its gotten so that people have 'banners' purveying thier opinion on certain matters that are in your face - a way of throwing it at you in a way you can't protest.
    This kind of thread does give people a chance to see what is happening - either negative or positive - in certain areas of the forums. Its not a case of 'venting' and I'm not treating it as such, its just making people aware that we are a community on here with different opinions and ideas, as you yourself have previously said (if I haven't misinterpreted), that like to speak for themselves and not be spoken for.

8. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    I thought we established that the fandom wasnt being split as so much being strengthened with the franchise????

Call me crazy but its almost like everyone relly wants to tear it apart????

I think we should just stop making these threads. And if you really wanted to turn heads, post it in the Fuzz

9. JinraiPrime

No, the fuzzy is for the irrelevant this is very relevant and wasnt started to cause a fight it was created so i can measure peoples opinions against my own. I also find it amusing that because someone has posted a reply, or has seen a thread on.. a similar topic its beating a dead horse. I havent seen ANYTHING on the concerns of the fandom, ive seen lots of posts on the division of people over the movie, but im taking an angle on how some people think they can assume what the fandom needs,wants,doesnt want etc

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The fandom always has and will have some level of disagreement on everything. Truck Vs. Monkey for example. This movie is something massive so the divide is going to be bigger. After the move has come out and the post movie arguing is done things will get back to “normal”. I don’t see I need to start some sort of peace movement to bring every one together or anything.

11. JinraiPrime

Oh thats not what im trying to do with this thread you can agree to disagree... The post is designed to discuss the tendancy for people to talk in topics as if they represent the fandom as a whole like i said previously the fandom is not an entity which is singular rather made of millions of individuals.. and because of this no one decision made regarding transformers should ever be considered as haveing been made for or against the Fandom....and the movie is the best example of this.

btw Truck :p 

12. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    Im glad to hear everyones opinions. if i only had my own i would go crazy

13. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I think that’s a mater of perception. Poster A might say “This is bad for Transformers.” To poster B this sounds true but to poster C it sounds like he is speaking on behalf of every one. But what is being done is poster A is stating an opinion he maybe should have worded differently.

My point is I don’t see this as being a big problem, it’s just more of the same old problem on a bigger stage.

14. JinraiPrime

I think its a problem, ive been on numerous TF related boards where people people have clearly stated that Beast Wars, or RID or the movie is "A slap in the face to the entire fandom who made TFs what they are today" or "I hold the entire fandom in contempt for allowing this movie to be made, and for accepting it" These are people who are blaming an entity that has no control over what occurs around it and is clearly (and logically) divided on almost if not every subject within the TF universe.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This isn't intended to be unpleasant, and although it may come across that way, I assure you I'm just curious: is English your first language?

16. JinraiPrime

Jesus, is that relevant at all to the topic? If you dont have something to offer dont post. Go create a thread of your own and then ask that question.

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do appreciate the point that it's inappropriate for any individual to speak as if their view is the only one that should be regarded, but if you expect something more from people on the internet (or the world, really), you'll be disppointed every time.

As to the state of the fandom... the fandom will undoubtedly shed some people who can't/won't adapt to the changes presented in the movie, and it will attract others who love the new designs, toys, and merchandise. And in reality, that's not a bit different than the way things have worked for the entire history of the franchise. The G1 folks hating BW, the BW folks hating BM, the RiD folks hating Armada, etc...

I don't love everything I've seen, but I'm choosing to roll with the changes - which makes being a fan a bit more enjoyable, I would think.

And if the movie happens to alienate some of these people who spew vitriolic, profanity-ridden nonsense while foregoing even the most basic attempts at spelling and grammar... I'm not really counting that as much of a loss anyway.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some of your grammar and sentence structure is a little difficult to follow. I asked because I wanted to read your posts in the context of either poor mastery of a first language or impressive near-fluency in a second language.

It's relevant to the topic for my purposes, because it'll help me understand exactly what you're trying say by allowing me to approach your posts with the best mindset.

19. JinraiPrime

Finally ams a point with some relevance i appreciate that next time i have a topic of discussion ill keep itto myself. Simultaneously ive been attacked on 2 threads because im looking for opposing opinions, and because of that im obviously trolling..
    The opposition of the factions within the fandom are what make it rich and in all honesty is likely what brings diversity to the product.

20. The Fortress Maximus

The Fortress Maximus Has a toilet in his head

Sorry, I'd say it's an idiotic point that utilizes a "false dilemma", where it has to be one or the other. League of Extrodinary Gentlemen was approached with the same "it's not made for the fans mentality" by some of the same people involved with TF and it tanked.

It's quiet possible to make something that makes the material accessible and appeals to a fanbase at the same time. Not one or the other.

Trust me I KNOW Bay did not make this movie for the fans, that in and of itself is part of the problem. Raimi, Snyder, Rodrigeuz, Nolan, Lucas, and virtually any other director to adapt franchises have grappled with the exact same problem. Some succeed in making things that elevate the material, appeal to a fanbase and general audience. Bay, Don Murphy and Orci (Kurtzman) have yet to be known for this.

There is nothing wrong with a little re-invention now and then, but if you are going to deviate from a formula you'd better have a damn good idea of what to do instead. For example in Batman we saw a radical departure from the tradition Bat Mobile...instead we got "the Tumbler". The Tumbler in fact is now universially loved on most Bat-Forums. Why, because it was so damn cool. It did appeal to BOTH the audience and fans...and Nolan appears to have an excellent grasp of how to do this repeatedly throughout his new Bat franchise (from recent rumors).

I don't hate change, I would not be a Transformer fan otherwise...I hate BAD change.