Fandom "ignorance" on what mold are truly lost or broken please comment

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by micah1199, Jul 14, 2009.

1. micah1199

micah1199 Well-Known Member

I found the below post on this forum to be absolutely true in the 10 years I have been in the fandom. I would like some of the "braintrust" and other credulous fans such as myself to comment on the truth posted below.

That's exactly right. These Frenzy & Rumble reissues are just the latest examples in a LONG list of figures that would/could "never happen" according to self appointed forum know-it-alls who think their opinions translate to mean "fact"... even despite continually getting proven wrong. It always amazes (and amuses) me how many Joe Average nobodies with nothing but internet access and a few thousands posts under their belts claim to know the inside scoop about anything whatsoever to do with Hasbro/Takara marketing, sales, demographics & research, toy popularity, mold health/deterioration/existence, legal this & legal that, toy size/reissue validation, etc. But I digress...

Definitely intrigued by this Alternity Bumblebee/Cliffjumper mold. Unfortunately it'll be metal, and since it's Japanese, I suppose that'll mean the steering wheel will be on the "wrong" side... so I'm not getting too anxious just yet. Classics Bee & Cliffy are surprisingly decent stand-ins with the other Alternators, but hopefully these new figs will be a better fit.

I remember when it was said that we would never get a predaking or God Ginrai reissue and then they appear.

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    there are some molds that are thought to be unusable, but there are molds specifically told to us to be missing/unusable:

g1 soundwave
    g1 sunstreaker
    g1 mirage
    g1 wheeljack
    g1 dinobots
    beast wars basics(rattrap, insecticon, terrorsaur, etc)

(those i know 100% are gone)

the rest are just speculation. now omega supreme and sky lynx were only able to be reissued because tomy somehow had the molds when it merged with takara

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People just go off what they're told. Things change, sometimes for the better, as with Frenzy and Rumble.

4. Alejandro27

Alejandro27 Well-Known Member

This just proves there is no such thing as a "lost mold".
    It's all a rumor someone starts, and then a few months a new encore is released and miraculously a supposedly lost mold is found again.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    sometimes lost molds are found. sometimes new molds are made (typically results in higher prices, see the first soundwave reissue retailing for $60+).

things change. its not ignorance. just because things are one way now doesnt mean they wont be different later on.

aaron archer himself informed us of quite a few lost molds when he had his own forum here. later on hasbro confirmed more at various botcons.

fans arent just making things up. some people just hate to face the fact that some fans are better informed than others, and then you get the post like the one quoted in the first post of this topic. and the post directly above mine.

6. guard convoy

News Credits:
    maybe true, but the molds i did least were told to us by hasbro themselves are missing, so no wheeljack, sunstreaker, mirage, etc unless they recreate the molds, which isn't economically phesible

7. Alejandro27

Alejandro27 Well-Known Member

How is it beneficial for a company who specializes in knockoffs to recreate the mold of wheeljack, which will probably sell a few thousand figures. They must be making money on just those thousands it sells, to keep putting out other G1 transformers. If hasbro remolded it would easily sell tens of thousands of wheeljack if it was an offiicial release.

8. guard convoy

News Credits:
    reissues really don't sell all that well, that is why hasbro doesn't bother remaking molds for old figures. and those molds are really poorly made, and really, how can they get ahold of the KO mold? the KO company is not going to hand it over and get their asses sued

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the new high quality KOs just show how much price is effected by the remolding process. the cars and dinobots cost 60-70 dollars each, which is retarded for a KO, and more than takara and hasbro are willing to risk charging for all but the absolutely most popular characters at that size. the KOs, while high quality compared to other KOs, arent up to official standards either.

a restored or new mold reissue can never hit that 30-35 dollar sweet spot that hasbro and takara always shoot for.

the tapes are very likely remolds or restored molds, and thats reflected by their price. its not a HUGE increase due to their size and low part count, but it's still more than one would expect for four tiny figures, especially if you look at the extremely low price of the encore minibot set.

10. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    sorry, i dont understand this much.. the G1 soundwave mold was lost? then it was reissued, on the encore line, and by hasbro in the TRU line? i dont get it

11. guard convoy

News Credits:
    the reissue soundwave mold is a modified soundblaster, that is why the buttons on the vintage and the reissue are different. the reissue's buttons are glued on instead of built in.....the true g1 soundwave is lost

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it was lost or decayed beyond use. which is why takara's first reissue of it (in the Transformer collection line) cost $60. they made back the cost to produce the new mold, and later reissues have been $30-35 as a result. they also made a bit of money off using the first japanese soundwave mold, which had exposed hinges, which let them reissue soundblaster for even more money-making.

japanese G1 soundwave also had exposed hinges. only the hasbro release didnt. the current mold is likely a hybrid. japanese G1 soundwave, and both door styles on the same mold. makes more sense than them making two brand new molds for soundwave and soundblaster back in TFC.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    From what I know, Soundwave and Soundblaster had two separate molds. Soundwave's was lost, so they've been using Soundblaster's mold in it's place.

14. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Please remember, anyone who is a "know-it-all" is simply restating *EXACTLY* what HASBRO/TAKARA tells us directly at Botcon. Hasbro is not lying to fool anyone and don't feel reverse engineering molds instead of original molds is something they want to do. If it is not original or authentic they don't want to do it. And Lost/Damaged molds are just that. Lost and/or damaged. Sometimes they FIND a functional mold that was lost before, or acquire them like they did when they combined with bandai.

Just because some fans don't go to Botcon and don't want to hear the answers, they try to ignore the official word told to us by hastak and then try to say "know-it-alls" are lying or some other angry comment.

Every year at Botcon, we get a new "look what we found" and "this is still not possible" and "we don't plan to do this anytime soon". Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the answers.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

They adapted it from a different mold--either one of the Diaclone casetteman toys, Soundblaster, or some Japanese-only variant of Soundwave, depending on which reissue you're talking about and who you're asking about it. Whichever it was adapted from, the final reissue mold is definitely different from the mold that was used by Hasbro for G1. You have to compare the hinges of the cassette door and the "buttons" on the front of the player to see the difference.

16. guard convoy

News Credits:
    tomy not bandai lol or else we would get reissue jetfire, roadbuster, whirl, and we would get gobots

17. nkelsch

Whoops my bad. I knew it was one of those japanese companies that they ganked a lot of bots from for the G1 toys.

I would love some re-issue Deluxe insecticons.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Except that "better informed" should translate to meaning "usually right"... which many of them never are. And I don't mean *specifically* in reference to people referring to previously confirmed lost molds - I mean it more in the general sense of people claiming that this or that figure will "never" be made/reissued/enlarged/remolded/etc. based off of... well, nothing at all other than their own opinion or speculation. IE: people claiming that a ROTF Leader Starscream will "never" happen since the Voyager already got such an extensive re-tooling, claiming that G1 Omega Supreme could "never" be reissued even if Hasbro/Takara wanted to, claiming that Hasbro would "never" let Takara release their own versions of the BotCon '07 Seekers, claiming that this or that character won't get a bigger size or made at all because, according to their own personal opinions, said character isn't valid/important/popular enough, etc etc etc. And more often than not they're proven totally, completely & utterly wrong.

Not true at all. Some of the more reputable fans/members only relay what they've been directly told at things like BotCon, yes, but they are a minority compared to the ones who just spew nonsense along the lines of the examples I just listed above. It's all very typical behavior that happens on ALL forums out there: people attempting to turn personal opinions/hopes/speculations into alleged facts and talk like they have some sort of insider knowledge.

Regardless, this isn't a debate and shouldn't cause any arguements. The point is that these latest reissues just prove yet again that people should not believe whatever they read from random guys on the internet. Save for the 5% of members here that actually DO know what they're talking about and a have reputable track record to back it up, the rest should all be considered write-off conjecture unless/until someone from Hasbro/Takara says otherwise.

19. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But I believe everything I read on the internet.....

All kidding aside. Even though there are the 5% that know what they are talking about. It's sad that people will dismiss what they say and get flamed.

20. nkelsch

Hasbro told us no leader Starscream for TF1 along with Leader Blackout. That was a sure thing. They also told us no leader Lugnut as a sure thing but mentioned it would be possible if Animated became a success and the line went longer than possible. Hell, they wanted to do Supreme omega supreme and we see what happened to animated. (it died and lots of plans were cut short. If it was a success they said they would consider characters like Lugnut for leader)
    Hasbro told us this because OS like many G1 figures were licenced by other companies and hasbro didn't own the mold in the first place. The acquisition of those molds was a surprise and a change. Doesn't mean Hasbro was lying before or peopel didn't know what they were talking about.
    in 2007, Hasbro facing a pre movie franchise success era confirmed that HASBRO said that Classics was such a failure that they could see no other way to release classic seekers except through botcon. They also said int he same breath that TAKARA honors Hasbro's exclusives and will not damage or infringe upon them... As of 2007 this was confirmed fact... And in 2008/2009 when they finally did it, they did respect the US exclusives by making them different.
    I have yet to see any of what Hasbro said proven utterly wrong... Hasbro has been pretty accurate with its positions and when there is a change, they update us. Let me know how Leader Blackout and Lugnut are working out for you because Hasbro was the one who said they were not going to happen as of Botcon 2009.
    Honestly, Hasbro was right in all those examples you posted and no one from what I can recall deviated from what hasbro told us at Botcon. I had never seen the 'leader starscream' debate that you speak of, but the rest of the examples were clearly laid out by Hasbro at botcon and there is little debate on what happened.

While Hasbro gives answers that are usually with "disclaimers" that it is not 100% definitive, they are usually accurate. I feel you are extremely exaggerating the 'inaccuracy' of these "answers people don't like".

Edit: And remember: Hasbro's attitude is while we all know it is POSSIBLE to reverse engineer a mold, they do not at this time feel comfortable selling a 're-issue' unless it is produced from an authentic mold. This is why no Mirage/wheeljack at this time even though there are practically perfect KOs. That is a decision they made and told people. Hasbro is capable of changing that attitude at any time and if the market shifts for reissues they might but it doesn't change the fact that is the official story. So while it *COULD* happen, people say it is not likely, because as of right now... it isn't likely.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009