Fan Writers! TFW2005 Wants your input!

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Kickback, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Hey guys!

At the moment, when the senior staff of TFW2005 look at the Fan Fiction forum, it kind of doesn't fall in to any certain category, so it just sits in the "Transformers Community" section. It doesn't fit in to "Radicons" like you see with Fan Art and Customs, though it could if we had the right type of forum mechanics involved (the ability to create character bios for your stories, etc., which are hosted on-site and linked in your initial post).

While something like that COULD happen in the future, this place doesn't get the traffic or the viewers that really warrant the enormous amount of time that would go in to a project like that.

So with that regard, as the only real member of the TFW2005 staff that spends ANY time in this forum, what do you think we can do to get the Fan Fiction section of TFW2005 more popular, more traffic, and overall, easier for everyone to enjoy?

Post your ideas, even if they're crazy, in this thread. Once we've gotten enough ideas and suggestions, I'll force Tony_B to sit down with me and hammer out some realistic goals for the future of this forum.

Thanks!

2. Cyberstoned

Cyberstoned Clandestine

Alright I'll bite. Banners or badges. I use badges more often than banners when I do have the option.

3. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I know we have the news on the main page, but maybe we could have a panel on the side saying 'Whats new on TFW2005!' or something that specifically mentions new entries in the customs, art and fan fiction sections. Or something.

Having looked at the front page I see you actually already do that. Bugger. Shows how often I visit the front page. How about a banner at the top of the forums that changes every 5 seconds or so that displays the thread title and a quick blurb on it of one of the top current threads in each of the above mentioned sections? Kinda like an automated shout box of info of whats going on right now in the customs, art and fan fiction worlds on TFW...

4. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Don't forget the comics section with all this new love. I think some of the ideas you mentioned would go far being integrated into the comics section. Also, I think, as a section that arguably receives more traffic, it arguably is in greater need of some sweet overhaulin'.

5. Cyberstoned

Cyberstoned Clandestine

you know, you could put a graphic to go along with newly posted fics too?

6. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In terms of fanfics and funnies could do like a fanfic/funny of the month kinda deal.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

^

Now that's not a bad idea... why not make a Fanfic of the Month/Funnies of the Month deal? It helps get people's attention, it will want them to check out the fanfic/funnies being mentioned, and then help garner more readers in both sections.

8. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    We tried doing a FanFic of the month, but when only 2 to 3 FanFics pop up a month that are actually continued and written well, you end up running out of material.

9. kingjace

kingjace Well-Known Member

We could have monthly one-shot contests based on a given topic. Stuff like that could really get people writing, IMO.

10. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mention your FANimated on the front page, so more people know to submit characters for it? After you start posting the fic, people will rush to see what their characters are doing and, maybe, once they're already at the fan fiction section they'll hang around and read other people's stuff or post their own.

11. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The thing I'm scared of is getting HUNDREDS of submissions. It took me well over an hour to go through the list of characters and re-document them (lost everything when my computer died back in November). I have the Autobots all laid out and an actual story flowing for them. The Decepticons I need to work on a bit, but they'll be coming later :) 

12. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fanfiction contests; IDW runs a monthly 600-words-or-less one centered around a subject that the winner of the last month chooses.

13. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

We could start a critique section where famous members of the boards (if they are interested) give critique on the stories they want. This section could be posted somewhere as an individual board or so. Then you could maybe quote the most interesting lines of that critique and put them in a banner somewhere on the main page of TFW2005. Then maybe more members get interested in the fanfiction section.

14. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Following the above suggestion, a beta-reader's sub-forum?

15. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

Could be a possibility

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

That sounds like a good idea.

17. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    How does one determine Internet fame? And I guarantee you that Tony_B and company aren't going to take the time to read FanFics.

18. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hence the beta-reader's sub-forum, or even a more general 'ideas/suggestions' forums for when people are stuck with writer's blocks, or want to know if they're writing a character right.

As per fame, it's how high you are on a Google search.

19. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Those ideas would be argued as "They can just make threads" ... this forum gets little traffic, adding a subforum to it isn't going to increase the traffic, sadly.

20. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only other option I see left is perhaps each month or so (Not as a news credit) stickying a top 3 or 5 (based on user feedback, senior members feedback, or what's updated) or using some kind of icon to label which stories are the best reads