Fan vs. Scalper encounters

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by vbann, Nov 8, 2009.

1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yeah I think this whole Skywarp fiasco is completely overblown. He isn't going to be a hot ticket item on ebay, so scalpers are gonna lose out on him just like their with MP Starscream. So let the scalpers have him, it'll help those people whose WMs don't get the figure.

2. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Nah, you can totally fit 15 Skywarps in 1 cart without the use of a tarp and bungee cords :wink: 

3. chad2261

chad2261 Active Member

"There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Sure it sucks to get beaten to the punch by scalpers and customizers but that's the way it goes. Does it piss me off? Of course. Enough to do something about it? Not really.

Now that the responsible reply is out of the way... LOL ...very funny story. Although I'd be furious if I were the guy with the cart.

4. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    at first I read the title of this thread "fan VS. Scalpel"

I've never met any scalpers. but if I did, I'd kick them in the , then grab whatever he was buying. I might take his wallet to. I'm joking. mostly.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Lol @ customizers being compared to scalpers. How did we get thrown into this discussion again?

As if we didn't have enough dividing the fandom.

6. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:

I don't know where all you guys are from. But here where I stay theres are a lot of crazy asians that u don't want to mess with. they will bust a cap in ya ass or just straight Chris Brown yo ass.

7. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

Maybe its a good reason to price Skywarp at $60.00. The real fans can get him and scalpers will be discouraged. Also Hasbro get the chance to make the money that a scalper normally would by jacking up the price.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are people really this outraged about a mold that is now seeing it's 6th release (2x Hasbro, 4x Takara)?

#1-If anyone took anything out of my cart deliberately I would have punched them in the face.

#2-Why does it matter what the person does with the toy? If I paid the $59.99 for it, I should be able to do what ever I want with it, even if that means buying 15 of them to open up and stand in a line to watch me dance with my wiener tucked in between my legs while I stick classics Astrotrain somewhere else.

When I go shopping and I see something I want to buy, I buy it. I don't stand there and think about how there might be someone who might come in a couple of days and really want to buy it as well. Does Wal-Mart need to start interrogating customers about what they purchase and what they plan to use it for?

9. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This for sure..

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well they come in pretty small boxes of 3. So 5 boxes would not be a issue fitting into the cart IMO. I had a box of 3 SS and it was pretty small.

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    My bad then... had a hard time picturing it working...

12. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    stores will never regulate a product unless its on sale, at 60 bucks a pop they don't care who's buying them. a sale is a sale wether its to 1 customer buying it all or its 15 customers buying one of each. but it still sucks when you really want a figure and can't get it cuz one guy buys them all

13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lucky for us there's less scalping in H-town. Somebody ALWAYS beats me to the clearance items but I've seen hot ticket items sit around for a couple of days before being cleared out.

14. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Clearance is usually pounced on by the general coupon-clipping, craigslist housewife crowd around here, not necessarily toy-only scalpers. Good thing there are like three Targets per zipcode. They get the best exclusives anyway.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

You have got to be kidding.

Regardless of my intentions, I payed the money for my figure. Doesn't matter if I want to keep it on the shelf displayed, give it to my yet-non-existent son, feed it to the dog... I payed my money for it. It's mine to do as I please.

Now on another note, a LOT of customs get sold off. That should not be news to anyone. That becomes a one of a kind figure that someone else now owns. No, it doesn't have much value in the traditional sense. But a lot of work went into it, and usually a fair bit of money went into buying it. There's plenty of value in that figure.

So I think you're full of it to say that we do little more than simply "destroy" figures. From my standpoint, we make the figures that Hasbro isn't willing to.

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally got caught up reading the entire thread. I don't see a clear right or wrong. I mean, sure customizers may buy up all the items at a store but they also buy up all the junkers on the forums giving us cash to go out and buy other bots we want. . . wait, what do you mean this thread isn't about customizers?

If the guy with the 15 Skywarp was a scalper he should have known better then to bring his kids. If he was a collector buying for others he should have known better then to bring his kids. If you're going to clear out $1,000 worth of toys at a Walmart it should be a three man operation with a van waiting right outside the door.

The OP reacted as he did based on his previous experience with a scalper so I wouldn't be too hard on him.

17. Pasaway

Pasaway Well-Known Member

What he said

18. TrukkinMunky

TrukkinMunky Autobot

Ebay:
    I got one. Remember going to the store and seeing Classics Legends Bumblebee, Beachcomber, Cosmos, Brawn, Wheelie and Warpath, well I don't. I went to both walmarts, both targets, TRU and Kmart in my area and didn't find a single one. The spots were there and of course empty or filled with crappy legends repaints. I must have checked about 2-3 times a week at each until ROTF toys came out. So here's my theory either no store in Berks county PA had these figures shipped to them or Scalpers. Now because of this I had to pay 8 dollars for my Legends Warpath at CVS. I got my Brawn and Beachcomber off Robotkingdom for 20 dollars total. Now they are on ebay but they are about 25-30 dollars each so I won't be get them off there. I just have to thank Japan for the Henkei minibot packs.
    I also saw a guy with 36 and I counted SW clone wars figures in his cart. They were mostly all different characters the repeats were of the droids. He was most likely a collector and I had no beef with the guy cause he seemed nice and like a collector.

19. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I so totally agree with you guys on scalpers. Its like that in SW,Joes, MOTU and just about any other toy line. I think though that TF's and SW is the worst though because of WHAT they are and WHAT they mean to people. I think thats why people do what they do with them.

20. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.
    A thousand times. This.

If I show up to a store and pay MY money for however many figure tickles my little fancy, it is up to me what I do with said figures.
    As for the people in my area getting pissed...let them. I was the one on the ball. He who hesitates.....