Fan vs. Scalper encounters

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by vbann, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    ^ This

2. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was at Walmart and I saw this old lady with a cart full of BumbleBee Tuna. I figured she was a scalper. I mean who needs all that tuna? Then this F'r at Costco had 2, 2 F'n carts full of toilet paper. F'n TP scalpers.

I agree, damn all those scalpers. Props to you TC. You saw an opening and you pounced. I wish I had the guts to do the same when I saw that old lady with a cart full of BumbleBee tuna.

I pray that one day, I too shall have your courage and wisdom.

3. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

I didn't know that Deadpool Movie was such a hot item. I go to various stores and see rows and rows of every other Wolvy movie fig but him. I saw him at a friend's house one day and was determined to get one. Hopefully I'll run into him someday.

4. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nice civil opposing response. :thumbs2: 

Even though a few people will not agree with you, you made your point of view in a well thought out response without attacking the OP.

I agree with you for the most part. There are a few variables that goes on when purchasing multiples. Who knows that guy was probably building the most expensive seeker army available. Then again he can also sell them online for a profit. Who knows. I'm pretty confrontational. I would tell the dude that is there any reason that he needs all those figures and if I can snag one. As for me, I'm all for everyone having a fair chance at getting anything at the intended cost.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    you dont buy ALL of a non-replenishable item for any purpose. if you do, you're an asshole. especially if you're going to use such a rare, desirable figure as the base for customs, which regardless of your intentions, is destroying the figure. Hell, it would actually make you worse than a scalper. scalpers at least circulate the figures they buy, they don't permanently disfigure them.

What it all boils down to, people: let other people get ONE before you get a second. if you're buying to help other fans, GREAT. but still. leave some for the local population. none of you would like it very much if you were completely denied a skywarp just so your local supply could be given to people on the other side of the country. not everyone who wants a skywarp is going to be able to get one from other fans online.

6. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    My first encounter was with the debut of the 25th GI Joe Target exclusive Cobra Rattler and Conquest jets. I was there minutes before opening among other grown men. This man and his cohort grabbed two each, the only 4 on the shelves. I asked if they were collectors and he said nope. I sale these on eBay and on Craigslist.

The other incident was at TRU. Of all people, I recognized the man from the Target I mentioned above. He was bald, short, fat, and disgusting. He smelled like a rat that just crawl out of someone's ass!!

Anways, he beat me to the GI Joe and scored 3 each of the new SRO 3-packs TRU exclusives. These incidents left a nasty taste in my mouth despite they have every right to purchase as much as they like.

I suppose the best way is to be there bright and early like them or help from fellow collector in here.

Fuck You SCALPERS! I hope you get zap by Zesus lighting bolt!!!

7. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bottom line is the early bird gets the worm.
    If I am the first to show up and buy what is there, then sorry...learn to be on the ball.
    If I choose to go buy every single skywarp and light them on fire, that is my business and has nothing to do with anyone else.
    I am not into collecting to make sure "everyone gets one"
    I'm in it to make sure I get everything I want. Even if that means buying every single MP skywarp available to me to build the sickest Seeker army out there.
    If you want to pretend you are in it for any other reason, then go for it.

It isn't like I am going to buy every single skywarp in southern california.

Using figures in customs in no way shape or form "ruins" the figure.
    If the custom is properly done the figure can be worth hundreds even thousands more than the retail price point.
    Look at it this way. I am an avid collector. It is better that I buy every figure that I want at full price, rather than go to a scalper or go on clearance. The more figures that sell at full price and go to collectors, the better for us all. Don't you agree?

I stand by what I said. The OP was wrong to do anything short of take one for himself.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I don't think even bona fide scalpers wear shirts like that...

9. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably not. But you never know.
    Unless the OP heard him saying something to the effect of...
    "I can't wait to sell these on ebay."
    There should have been no assumption made.
    Even if he did however, the OP should not have done what he did.

I dunno. I know everyone hates paying extra for a figure...but I look at it this way. The scalper went looking for his figures, and you did not.
    If he found them...that means that you could have found them.

I understand that I have to pay some evil little bugger for a MP Starscream.
    But I was too lazy to go hunting for him when he was out...So I screwed myself. Not the scalpers fault.

If nothing else. The scalper is providing a service. They go spend thier time and money on finding these figures and listing them on ebay. And given the prices on some of them (15-30% markup from retail) I don't think it is soo terrible. Considering that I can still find them. Even though the figure I want is no longer available in stores.

I guess it is a matter of how you look at the world.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Im with Sioce ont his one.

You ppl can call the guys that buy upp all toys scalping assholes, it is unmoraly etc etc. It is still a free market and if he wants to buy 15 Skywarps or whatever the item maybee he is perfectly allowed to.

I anybody tryed to take stuff off my cart, I would be highly insulted, angry and prrobably ask the guy what the hell he was doing. You have no buissnes to grabb stuff out of somebody elses cart. PERIOD.

I can understand the frustration of not finding the toys due to scalpers but hey its not your jobb to be the scalping police...because = once again he aint doing anything illegal.

11. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

A bit late into the thread, but I'll just add to the list of "that's just not on".

I think if I was in that situation, and essentially saw a cart full of Skywarps and a man chasing a child away from said cart, I'd be tempted to take one, but even still....he may not of payed for those products yet, but I still consider them his by the terms of "he found them before me, therefore they're his".

12. scourge88

scourge88 Well-Known Member

Nice score OP.

13. Airdogz13

Airdogz13 Active Member

I hate scaplers as much as the next guy but I'm not going to start stealing from everyone who I think may be a scapler. Maybe he did take all the skywarps from all 4-5 walmarts, maybe he didn't. We don't know, it's all based on assumptions.

I would of just went up to him and asked him why he was buying so many. And kindly ask if he wouldn't mind giving one up.

14. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Story would have been cooler if you took the cart from his hands. And you shouldn't take carts that don't belong to you. What if he had some personal items in the cart like his kids coats, or his wife's purse. She could have been going to the bathroom. Also why not just ask for one. If he says no, move on and realize you can't always have what you want. He may have been a scalper, but a dick move on you part doesn't rectify the dick move on his part.

I'm so glad I'm not after this particular TF.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some have shown repeatedly with posts on this board that they DO NOT CARE in the slightest how their actions affect others (which is probably why we also see so many drama threads about family problems and failed relationships, but I digress). You're not going to change anyone by appealing to their sense of "morality" or "ethics".

If a store is willing to let you buy all 15 of those Skywarps, you can... and I'll reserve the right to think you're a jerk. No biggie.

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Scalpers do suck, but I would've asked the guy first, or gotten an employee involved.

17. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Hehe, sounds like a line in a Jackie Chan movie, right before an action scene!!!

I'd consider it a violation of my personal space and good grounds for a sever molly-whoppin'...

but in the end, their just toys folks.

18. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    In all fairness this man was not breaking any law or even doing anything against store policy. And the more I am thinking about it, it's not really a dick move on his part. This is a limited edition toy and that does make it valuable. I personally wouldn't invest 900 american greens for it, but he was going to. And maybe he is out of work and he was gonna try to make some holiday cash. Why not blame Walmart for not making it two per customer.

19. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Again though as this rocks on, this "fair" play is rediculous, like I stated if this was the practice stores would always have 1 left of something of everyone was like oh I better give someone else a chance.

And as far the idea of getting an employee to help you get somehting out of someone's cart because you think he purchased too much that is rediculous, I would have given him the stink eye, but taking people's carts is tooo far.

I work in the WM meat department I had a sale on Turkeys for 40 cents a pound, apparently before I got there some guy bought like 2 buggys worth, then they imposed a 2 Turkey limit, this would be rediculous to set for a normal priced toy item.

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Why would it be rediculous. Skywarp is an exlusive that is Limited Edition. I've seen limits put in place on normal priced items before.