Fan toys - how are they made?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dreadpyrat, Feb 21, 2011.

1. dreadpyrat

dreadpyrat Member

Hi all, I dont post much, but I lurk her ea lot and am a huge TF collector. Recently there has been a lot of cool stuff coming out from groups like FansProject, CrazyDevy, etc. I'm very impressed by it and got to wondering how its done.

I imagine the toy is designed in a program like Maya or AutoCad and then maybe sent to China for test shots?

If anyone know how the process works, I'd love to learn more. As a 3D artist by trade, I'm thinking this is something I might be able to do as well!

Thanks for any info...
    Rob

2. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is pretty much how it is done. There is a member of TFW2005 by the handle name of griffith (something) who showed us his 3-D model of Knight Morpher. He then sent it to a manufacturer (probably in China) to get it produced. At least that's how most of the 3rd party company does it anyway. Some may still do sculpting by hand and produce it themselves by hand or do 3-D model and print it with either their own printing/milling machine or send it out to a company like Shapeways to get it done but usually those are less complex figures.

3. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd suggest checking out the Radicons forum, those guys have a ton of info on how to do the fan toys and the customs stuff, along with the guys who do stuff on Shapeways

4. dreadpyrat

dreadpyrat Member

Fantastic, thanks guys! I'm heading over there now for some learnin!