Fan-made characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Omnius, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi all,

I'm working on my first TF fanfic and I have a question - what are everyone's thoughts on stories centering on entirely new characters? I have a couple 'in development' including a reluctant Decepticon. Has anyone tried this before? What do people feel about 'unfamiliar' characters?

Thanks in advance for any help. :) 

2. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

I like new characters. Optimus and Megatron are getting kinda old.

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've made a point of having an entirely original cast in my current fiction, though that's more because I don't like writing for pre-existing characters much.

Seems to have less of a reader draw if you do it, but if at least a couple people find the characters entertaining to read you're good to go. :D 

4. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep, I've tried it in my recent story. Just about EVERY character is my creation. Vangelus is right, you don't get a lot of readers, but the ones that do read usually come back and keep reading it. I think it's rather fun and challenging. Fun in that your characters have never been seen before, by ANYBODY and challenging because of that fact. You have to create history for the characters without over doing it. I say definitely go for it. Have fun. :) 

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I've only created one character that I <3 and he's only been used once in a purely fictional world.

His name is Betatron. And his origins are a secret to everyone but me. :D 

6. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

why not twist an existing charecter and make thiere origins different, like say galvatron coming before megatron

7. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I'm working on two - a Decepticon scout who dislikes the job he was 'designed' for, and an Autobot monorail locomotive (Cybertron alt mode, the earth one is yet to come) who's happier hauling freight than fighting. First chapter on the way!

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I kept a few "canon" characters when I did Redemption Episode One, but I also brought in a load of original characters; and people really liked them. I say go for it.

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

First of all, you should feel free to write what you want to write and not let other opinions sway you.

I personally like to use as many show characters as possible in my writing. I'll often dig up some obscure character than creating a new one because if I'm writing TFs I want to be writing TFs. If I want to create original characters, I'll probably just create my own fictional world that had nothing to do with TFs.

On the other hand, I certainly don't mind reading about other people's original characters as long as they are not "Mary Sue's." Authors like Vangelus, Draven, and Alphie have created some wonderful stories with original characters to check out on this site.

10. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I think Hasbro should employ us all to write all kinds of wicked Trans stories, so that we can be a part of the fun :D 

And I do like new characters. I like to play with them and mold them and understand them. Writing the history of a new character is fun, encorporating it to others is even funner (is that a real word?) Then, you've got this character your familiar with and you can put them in new stories with different characters. WEEE!

BTW, careful what you name your characters. I once planned out this really cold, hard Decepticon dude slasher-killer-destroyer, but I made the mistake of making his name up from two different characters names. I didn't know there was actually a word in the dictionary that followed the name I spliced together for him.

Uh, well, in short, I gave him the name Vex. Does anyone know what a vex is? It's annoying-that's what it means. He went from my awesomus killer-slasher-destroyer dude to a guy that just hung out at the Decepticon's hidden base snoozin' all the time, making weird comments, and just got on everyones nerves!!! It was a disaster!

____On the plus side, his ability was to look at any other Trans and locate their weaknesses and exploit them to his better hand. But what good is that if he doesn't want to fight?!?!?!

Omnius, totally go for it. Make them storiez up and makes peoplz read them. I got my friends to :lol 

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've attempted to come up with a character of my own, and have come up with some pretty cool ideas, but I can never get anything more than a list of things that describe who they are, their personality, and their history. I haven't been able to wright an actual bio for any of them yet, due to my poor wrighting skills, lol. Peace out.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

You should definitely throw in some new characters. I'm working on planning a fanfic myself, and I'm coming up with four completely new characters that I made up... two are Autobots, and two are Decepticons. Of course, I hate to say this, but one of the characters that I came up with... I have a feeling that he's going to be the most dominate of them all.

13. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I try to avoid them unless I need some casualties. Maybe I'll keep them around awhile to try and make their death a little less 'throw-away', but in all but a couple of cases, they're cannon fodder.

The reason for this is that there are literally hundreds of characters with widely varied personalities in this mythos. Regardless of the type of character you're after, there's likely a pre-existing guy/gal to fit the bill.

That said, sometimes you do need to pull someone from out of the blue, or maybe you do have someone in mind that's completely unique. Then God bless. And ultimately, just write what you want to write. If people like it, great, if not, it's no skin of your nose.