Fan Edit?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by destrongerlupus, Jun 27, 2009.

?

Should someone do a TF2 Fan Edit?

1. YES! This is EXACTLY what the movie needs!

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Sure, why not, but I probably wouldn't watch it.

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Why bother, there's not enough to salvage?

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. NEVER!!! The movie is perfect as-is, I want an EXTENDED cut!!!

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Just spit-ballin' and not volunteering....

Anyone think there'd be value in attempting a fan-edit of the film once it hits DVD ala the Star Wars prequels? (If you HAVEN'T watched any of those edits, please familiarize yourself before sounding off, if only so you understand the concept and the reference points)

It feels to me like we have a comparable situation on our hands (Albeit, the first one was hardly the cinematic legend that the original SW trilogy is....maybe TF1 needs a fan edit too, though I *think* we can all agree less badly).

TF2 has

-LENGTH (Lots of material to work with)
    -Alien-Robot Dialogue, with canon-subtitles (Lots of opportunity to replace in-English dialogue/plot points)
    -Egregious amounts of distracting camp-humor
    -Some shining moments and *potential* for a meaningful through-line

My personal reaction was that whereas in TF1 Bay was on a tight budget and EVERY second of film (especially the robot-stuff) had to REALLY count, and really work, and really matter (and hence we got a fairly satisfying experience), in this one, it would seem the purse strings were wide-open and there were simply no controls in place.

Trim this beast down to 90-120 minutes and we might have a good time on our hands.

I'm *almost* tempted to try my hand at it, but I'd rather see it done by an accomplished editor (I'd be happy to consult ;) )

D/L

2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    while I'm sure its possible to do and IMO it could very well work such a re-edit I'm sure would catch the eyes of the legal eagles and they would get pulled fast.

3. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    I have yet to hear of anyone getting sued by Lucas (Though he IS fairly open to fan-work, generally), and the original "Phantom Edit" got a lot of press (NPR coverage I recall at least)

As long as you don't try to distribute it TOO openly, and don't try to make money on it, I don't think that'd be a major concern.

D/L

4. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Here's my fan edit:

Erase Revenge of the Fallen
    Edit in Transformers: The Movie (1986)

5. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well lucus is not Hasbro and given the money being made even post DVD their going to be on top of any form of piracy

6. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    IMO, I don't think there's anything to salvage from this mess.

7. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    If you're gonna have a movie with a Matrix anyway ;) 

Besides, you've got BW-era flip-changers in your sig, you're good people :) 

I don't Hasbro's the one to worry about anyway. As long as they sell toys this year and next, they'll be happy (And so far it looks good, not as good as TF1, but good, based on my local retailers). And I'm betting some of the *particular* bad-press this one's getting (sexuality and racism) is going to be a little harder for Mr Potato Head to shrug off than the complaints of uber-violence the first time around.

As far as legal reprucussions of a fan-edit, I'd wager the WORST that would happen would be a C&D order, especially since the time involved in making such an edit would mean that it wouldn't even see the light of day until months and months after the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

I'm starting to think more and more I might give it a whirl myself after all. Which means it won't see the light of day until more like, years and years after the release of TF4 on DVD, but still....

D/L

8. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

Hey man this is actually a pretty great idea.

I think it could help, but it still wouldn't be as good as the first, primarily because to me the WEAKEST part of the film was the dialogue. And the dialogue you wouldn't be able to alter very much in an edit. It would still sound clunky.

And the acting would still be unenergetic.

But it's an idea, and I may even try it myself.

9. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    All the stupid "humor" needs to go, ie:
    -dogs humping (1 time would be fine, not twice)
    -Skids comment about Leo, "pussy" - they should change the word cuz it would still be funny
    -the Wheelie humping Mikela's leg nad "faithful" scene can be cut entirely
    -Devs balls (if possible)
    -deffinately Simmon's thong part needs to go!!!!!!!
    -Mikela landing face first in Leo's crotch - stupid film waster scene

10. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Actually, ANY single line of robot-dialogue could be re-worked (Well any line that isn't responded to by a human...) One of the things the SW fan edits did best was replace the alien and battle-droid chatter with meaningful plot-driving dialogue, and it added TONS.

One simply needs to replace the audio of the robot speaking with the "Cybertronian speech" sound (Theres a number of ways to accomplish this that would blend in well), and then flash a "Cybertronian-text-to-English-Translation" subtitle across the screen. Zip-Zop, new dialogue, in canonical form. I think the Twins could even be salvaged this way, they'd still be VISUAL horrors, but one could improve their "wise cracking" or replace it with another take on the characters.

Yep, a LOT could be done simply by cutting or minimizing the non-sense.

D/L

11. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    It would be nice to have all the robot scenes in one video.
    I would like to see stop motion animation using ROTF toys.

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Absolutely I want to see someone edit out all the garbage. Make it a lean and mean action machine. No brownie mom, no dogs, no man-ass, no kid with his pants down, no balls, no driving in the desert scenes(seriously, I was bored as hell by those).

13. Matt Starr

You're right, but what I should have clarified was that I meant human dialogue. That would be hard to change, although you could still cut out as much as needed.

The robot dialogue, now that would be cool to alter.

14. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I walked out of the theater thinking this..

15. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Yeah the Human-stuff we're stuck with, though one could probably feed Optimus some new lines fairly easily by combing through the fairly extensive body of Cullen-as-Prime audio that exists (Not sure IF/WHAT useful might be found, but it's there, likewise for some of the other characters/voice actors.) It's tricky getting it to work without sounding spliced in, but its do'able....

I hope someone with some real skills, a great vision, and the time to do it comes along and scoops me with a great version, but I might just have to try my hand at this when the DVD comes out....I don't think I'll ever be able to pop in the extant film and really *enjoy* it.

D/L

16. Matt Starr

Hey D/L I'll keep you in mind when I get the chance to do this, when the dvd comes out! :)  I've got some pretty good editing, video, and audio skills.

Great idea about potentially adding more Optimus lines as needed using the existing cartoons.

I'm pretty jazzed about it now!

17. AmazSpiderman1

AmazSpiderman1 Member

I agree with Vader Prime. If those humor bits were gone, I would seriously really like this movie. It's just so hard to look forward to seeing it again knowing Im gonna have to suffer through all that juvenile humor. I would of seen it a few more times by now (I did with the last movie), but Im holding it off because of all that dumb crap Bay thought was comical.

18. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:

:horse: 

19. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

Aaaaaand ... you're left with 20 minutes of film. :p 

20. Matt Starr

Lol...that is NOT the way I meant it!! :p