Fan designs of the liveaction (whole bodies)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by obin_gam, Nov 19, 2006.

1. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

The fans who know programs like 3dmax and other 3d-modeling programs and "speak" c++, have done a great job of making "alternative" heads for the liveaction TFs. But only heads.
    Since there is much critisism of the whole bodies seen on the leaked photos, I would like to see what you 3d-modelers can do about that.

Can you "build" new bodies for the liveaction TFs in the same spirit of what you did with the heads?

(If I knew how to work these 3d-programs I would take a shot at it myself, but, I cant - don't have the knowledge or the software)

EDIT: changed the names of the programs to what I relly meant

2. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any alternative heads yet that could actually speak. If it can't mouth "I'm like a pretty butterfly" without ignoring the physical properties of metal, then it's not really a viable live-actioni alternative. Sorry.

3. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

so, the mouths of the leaked photos looks like they can speak? hm... I'm sceptical of what you'r saying.

4. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Why cant metal mouths move on aliens? With all the mass shifting going on this seems like a pretty weak argument.

5. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

None of the movie designs can do that either.

Indeed, Megatron is the only one with a mouth, and it has two extra set of lips. It certainly couldn't (if you were using the lips to help mouth the sound) vocalise any human language.

Of course, the guns in the movie ignore the physical properties of the metal too, since they morph using nanite magic.

Phazer

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Of course, we have no idea knowing of whether the guns are made out of nanobts, or how the mouths move.

I still think that the guns are instead car parts stored on the back or legs, and that the mouths and eyes will move with the means of sub-armor pistons controlling the metal plates around the optics/mouths (the Bumblebee prop seemed to have teeth(?) beneath the gasmask).

7. Cory Bauer

The ILM robots don't mass-shift, either. Metal that acts like flesh will always look fake, you can't render a material realistically if it looks like one thing and acts like another. Our eyes will reject it as "animation".

I'm having a hard time seeing any lips, let alone two extra sets. Megatron's face is made up of enough separate components that he should be able to make "angry face/sad face/happy smile" expressions without treating metal like rubber.

I got the impression that they would reach onto their backs, and engine components would latch on to their arm and transform (mechanically). You should trademark Nanite Magic. It's got a nice ring to it :) 

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    All of this talk about faces does, of course, depend on whether Transformers breathe.
    Which they don't.

9. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    you havent seen optimus prime's mouth then i take it...

anyway BACK ON TOPIC this isnt a 3d render, but i think its the kind of thing you are talking about -

[​IMG]

10. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

yay! ontopic again,

kjeevahh - thats sort of what I'm asking about.

Since so many are complaining about the whole of the characters, it would be interesting to see how fans could do it diffrent.
    This is not a cynical comment on the overall complaing, but rather a wish to see how fans would have the designs to look like.

11. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    well, i know there are alot of full body starscreams around , they are all photoshop jobs again, no renders - there actually arent any pictures at all of any movie characters that have been made with 3d programs (by cs++ im guessing you meant cs2, which is a group of programs including illustrator and photoshop), they are all photoshop, ie. basically made with a combination of cutting and pasting and airbrushing.

if you think they are 3d though, thats a compliment to the artists!

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Though I think I know what you're trying to say, on the topic of realism, it seems like we're overlooking something.

Do TFs vocalize like humans? Do they actually form sounds by pushing air out of their mouths? Do they have vocal cords? Of course not.

I imagine TFs simulate human language through the use of some form of audio emitters (speakers?). It's all an imitation that doesn't really require them to move their faces at all.

That said, I think faces would look nice, even if the lips don't move. If I can watch Hugo Weaving act behind a Guy Fawkes-mask for the duration of a movie, I can handle TFs who don't move their lips in "natural" ways (though it would be nice if there was still -some- kind of articulation in the faces, to add some degree of expression).

Has there ever been a writer who addressed the issue of Cybertronian language? I don't we've ever gotten an exploration of it, like so many aspects of Transformers "culture". I remember a Transformers Universe entry once stating that TFs have 7 natural senses... Sight, Hearing, Touch, Smell, Magnetic and Electrical sensation, and Radiowave Transmission. I always figured that maybe their natural language was based on one of these other senses... or perhaps that actual TF conversations might sound like bursts of modem noise.

Sorry to hijack the thread... I've just always wondered about this stuff. :) 

13. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

hm... I think I've seen some photos of eg starscream and prime that clearly have been made by some 3d rendering program.
    no, i do not mean any of adobes programs. I believe there is a 3d modeling program that is called cs++ (maybe not exactly 'cs' but the '++' is in the name).

great kudos for the fans who have made all the designs. (3d AND 2d)

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I think I know what you're talking about (though I never saw that Starscream), but they were made for Second Life, not real attempts.

15. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

ok then, if thats the facts then all the more reason for fans with 3dmod-knowlegde to play around with how the TFs should look if the fans could decide :rock 

16. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    its probably c++ you are thinking of then - thats actually a programming language though! the main 3d programs youll hear of people using are 3d studio max, maya, lightwave, bryce, stuff like that.. but anyway, enough off topic stuff, bring on the pictures

17. Cory Bauer

i.e., how the Transformers could look if they didn't have to take into account animation, scale, weight distribution, and needs of the story :p 

I want to see some fanmade alternatives to the movie designs too, but do we get to tear them apart and call the creator harsh names the way the fans do ILM? Seems only fair :) 

18. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

Thanks! :) 
    it was c++ and 3d studio max i was thinking about. I knew I had the name wrong but I couldnt put the finger on what the excact name was.

You have a point there :tongue: 

furthermore...
    As long as it's constructiv critisism it would be alright (the kind of critisism that is NOT very common on this board when it comes to the leaked TF designs).

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'd put something together (I do have a few ideas), but currently I'm working on a commission, beta testing a new version of Lightwave, reworking old models, and I've restarted work on Redemption Episode Two.
    However as so many people here have such strong views on what the faces should look like, I'd love to see what you've all got, 3D or not.

20. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

mercury is a metal but acts as a liquid and our minds dont reject it as animation, so whats the difference here?