"Fan" companies and full TF figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Venksta, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So I was thinking. There are now a couple of "fan" companies making accessories for TF figures made by Hasbro. Just from my point of view, you need to buy Hasbro's product first to make use of these accessories.

Now, what if these companies start to make their own fully transformable figures, based off TF characters Hasbro has the rights to? So like a classics triple changing Sandstorm or deluxe Classics Cosmos? Would this give enough reason for Hasbro to come down and do something, or should the companies be allowed to make these figures, in limited or mass quantities? Just something I thought we can discuss. :) 

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

This is just like the t-shirt thread...

Yes. Hasbro would bring the ban-hammer. The accessories and weapons sets require you to have the original Hasbro figure to use it with. No problem. There's no licensing in toy weapons and such. And the creation of such things actually drive the sales of the Hasbro figure up (SDCC Nemesis Prime).

But to make their own full and functional Transformers, that's making money off of Hasbro's product. They would file a cease and desist order before any figure even came out.

3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Unless they pay Hasbro royalties or buy a permition to make a figure based on Hasbro's intelectual property.

4. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    That, in a nutshell, is dead on. Eat up sales that Hasbro has rights to, and you get in trouble. Drive additional sales of Hasbro products, and they look the other way.

5. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well jizai usually asks Takara permission and then later on we see Hasbro/Takara doing another figure of the character they did for the hell of it.

Just wish the Jizai person teamed up with them to unleash some awesome toys.

6. alpharon

alpharon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So i'm guess then that Hasbro/Takara do not have rights to a Roller figure? Or is a simple change to the name (Battle Roller) enough to allow TFC Toys to make and sell this full figure?

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's the Jizai toys kits,

There's the WST Dinobots, (though those are basically just reduced-size replicas/KO of original toys)

There's "Battle Roller" which is a stand-alone transforming toy, as well as an accessory for Optimus Prime toys.

I think we're already in the territory of other people/groups/companies making unofficial Transformers, if in a limited way so far. I assume there will be an official policy for "fan commercial projects" or an outright ban sooner or later. (if there isn't already)

8. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, as mentioned above, Jizai has gotten permission to sell his kits, but they are extremely limited, compared to the products FansProject and TFC make, which are factory made, where as Jizai probably produces his kits himself.

With TFC's battle Rollar, its based off the G1 toy, which only has the one toy, and limited cartoon appearance. The majority of Battle Rollar's design is made by TFC themselves. So its walking on a fine line.

WST Dinobots are pretty much knockoffs, as their based of Hasbro/Takara's original design.

Most of these companies are based out of China. So, as with the TF bootleggers, its probably hard for Hasbro to come after them directly. I guess if they started selling full figures, Hasbro would have to stop the retailers from carrying it, like they did with A3U and the KOs they were selling online.

Heres something else, as a fan, would you want to see these companies take on full TF figures, maybe characters Hasbro won't touch, or didn't do justice? This is ignoring if its wrong or not.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  9. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I'm surprised Hasbro didn't lay down the law when it came to the City Commander armor. I mean it obviously is the likeness of one of their licensed characters so didn't fansproject cross the line?

I know they changed the name to City Commander but it still looks like Ultra Magnus. That's like Burger King stealing the recipe to the Big Mac and naming it something else. It still would look like a Big Mac and taste like one too. Mcdonalds would jump on them in a heartbeat. (It's also probably why the Big King didn't last very long.)

10. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I'd like these companies to make toys of characters that Hasbro does not release. Characters like Animated Elita-1 and Wasp for example.

11. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, say they did Classics Cosmos he would be called something like Green Jet and not have anything related to Transformers surrounding it, then it'd be legal and they'd be fine

I think

12. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    They still sell Big King over here (Netherlands)

iDD

13. iKavadas

iKavadas Member

No, and here's why:

I'm a recent newb collector. I've followed the toys for a long time and love checking out the Radicon stuff. My god, that Menasor and Defensor? Jeebus.

But I finally decided to start. To buy something. I was always an Ultra Magnus fanboi even though I lean Decepticon. I think it's because I was always pissed about Hot Rod turning into Rodimus Prime when Optimus was quite clear about making Ultra Magnus the Autobot Commander.

Anywho, I decided I'd start small and concentrate on Ultra Magnus figures. Not repaints, real ones. I hate the repaint B.S. tbpfh. This didn't leave me with much to work with. I picked up Titanium UM despite the terrible reviews about the figure on youtube (thanks for the awesome stuff, Peugh, you da best, have the most cleanly and well trimmed fingernails, and don't parrot "...like so" every five words). I picked up TFA Ultra Magnus and was pleased with the great reviews before I clicked the "buy" button.

...but then I saw the City Commander trailer and I knew I had to have it. And what goes with it? Classics Magnus, right? But alas, I'm obsessed with quality and not being jerked around so I stuck with Big Bad Toy Store. All they had was the Ultra Magnus/Optimus Prime Classics giftset for $70.00 which is only $7.00 cheaper than the City Commander trailer itself.

See the point? If there are awesome fan projects out there, like the CC trailer, they'll entice me to buy official TF products. Why would Hasbro/Takara want to ruin that?

And to top all of that off, TFW2005's own Darkov made $22.00 off of me for a pair of UM launchers and missiles to complete my Ultra Magnus.

This is all pure win. I get the greatest UM ever made, aside from Mark's MP, Hasbro gets money from me, FanProjects gets money from me, and so does a talented community member.

14. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that nothing indicates he isn't working either at Takara or another company. It's actually not unusual for gifted model kit sculptors to be working for toy companies in real life despite also being active on the amateur scene. It's the same phenomenon as for doujins, be they manga, music or games. The figures Jizai does as an amateur enthusiast are different from what he would design (or is designing) in his job because the restrictions are different, that's all.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    If they have the skills they should just make their own transforming robots that have nothing to do with Transformers characters or likenesses. If they're good they'll sell. Think Roadbots, but less partsformery.

16. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Fansprojects probably went to Hasbro before they produced the armor set, notice it took a while before the set was completed (first they had the design concepts, then the gray prototypes, then the production model.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think why they get away with weapons and add on kits is because it's something that Hasbro would never have any interest in making themselves. While some fans would buy them I'm guessing Hasbro doesn't think enough people would buy things like that at a Wal-Mart, Target, or even a Toys-R-Us.

With full robots though it's a problem because Hasbro could always say they were planning on making that character and now the company is stepping on Hasbro's toes. Even if they never planned on making a deluxe sized Cosmos Hasbro could always say they were planning on it because there is no way to prove they were never making such a figure. Also where do you draw the line on what they might make because some figures like deluxe classics Jazz are way over due so could another company make such a popular character just because Hasbro was dragging their feet.

Would be a great way for some fans to fill holes in their collect that Hasbro will not fill, but I don't see it ever happening.