Falling Back in Love with Transformers TOYS! <3

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hazekiah, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    So I had TONS of old G1 toys back in the day. I'm an Army-Brat and grew up moving all the time so we had regular yard sales to get rid of excess and I'd ALWAYS put my meager cash towards buying TFs from my older pals who were starting to outgrow them and/or had to consolidate their own stuff for moves and I'd usually just take the cash and run RIGHT down the street to buy THEIR crap, lol.

Anyway.

All my TFs have been packed away who-knows-where in my parents' many garages and basements for decades, though...so I guess I kinda dropped off with that myself. But when I saw how awesome the TF:RotF Ravage toy looked at Target one day I just HAD to get it. That kinda rekindled my interest but it's uselessness as an actual Transformer was pretty disappointing. That "space-pod" alt. mode was just a piece of crap, so that kinda killed it. He looks cool as a robo-puma on my shelf at least, I guess.

But it wasn't until I got TF:D otM Barricade that I was FULLY engrossed again.

O_O

At first I was almost completely baffled by the new engineering. I was scared to break it since it was just cheap plastic instead of heavy-duty die-cast metal like most of my old faves. And the ball-and-socket joints and clips and snaps and panels and all that were just about 1,000% harder to figure out (at first) than I was used to also. You used to just pretty much stand up the car and flip out the limbs and BAM! Instant robot!

The first couple hours I owned him I pretty much wanted to just smash him against the wall in frustration, lol. Haha, I even briefly contemplated just buying a second one to keep in his other mode and be DONE with it, ffs. But I eventually got comfortable with it and was just AMAZED at how much more sophisticated they'd gotten as toys. And they look just BRILLIANT, so I was officially hooked.

So. Without further ado...

Here's my rundown and reviews of the collection I've accumulated in the past two months!

BARRICADE
    [​IMG]

So this was the one that got it all started for me again.

I just LOVED his design and awesomeness in the first film, and Prowl was always one of my favorite toys as a kid. That was back when "Police are your friend," though, and I know better now and thought making the cop car a bad guy was PERFECT. I even bought the Hot Topic black backpack that just had the Decepticon insignia and said nothing but "...to punish and enslave," lol.

Great articulation, beautiful faithfulness to the crazy-complicated Bay designs. Pretty much a full-on win with great detail. Even his MechTech gun, which I generally don't care for, looks pretty cool as long as its retracted.

Pretty much my only issue with him is his legs. He's too squat, but that can be corrected with some careful mistransforming. The real issue is their crappy ankle and knee hinges not holding poses very well because they buckle under his own weight. Add the retardedly oversized MechTech crap and it's hopeless. Pretty tricky to get them to fit into his car mode, too. But ho hum. He's still AWESOME and evil as hell.

RATCHET
    [​IMG]

Ratchet was always one of my favorite characters, so he was up next. Never got much love in the cartoon but he was a classic underdog pacifist up against a wall who took on Megatron and outsmarted him time after time, so he was always My Hero, haha. I was initially a bit turned off by his re-design for the movies but he was still awesome...and suddenly changed to the color of my favorite alcoholic beverage, Chartreuse!!! So that was a WIN/WIN for me, lol.

His figure's pretty big and clunky in 'bot mode and has an alt. mode that's hopelessly out of scale with the rest, but at least his ridulous MechTech weapon is actually kinda cool and he actually holds himself (and it!) up pretty well. His transformation is pretty simple and fun, too. Except for his rotating chest/shoulder segment...that took FOREVER for me to figure out, lol. And, like his movie transformation, I just LOVE the way the worked his name into the sound of him rotating his upper body into place. "Ratchet," indeed! Clever.

STARSCREAM
    [​IMG]

Right off the bat I was annoyed with the obvious scale problem with his figure, but I absolutely LOVE his re-design for the movies and it was the last one in the store so I took the leap.

Starscream pretty much gets short shrift here. His toy and (and all the repaints) were always some of the coolest G1 toys but this guy's pretty lame in comparison. He still looks great in jet-mode and they obviously had their hands full with his weird-ass robot-mode, though, so he gets points for that. Good articulation and solid joints, too. Another cool but ridiculously oversized MechTech weapon is kind of a mixed-feelings kinda thing. And that sums it up, really. He's cool for what he is, he just deserved more and better. Not bad overall, though. Meh.

SIDESWIPE
    [​IMG]

Now this guy looks pretty awesome in both modes.

I just HAD to get him just to see how the hell they managed to hide everything with him being "topless" and how they got him to stand with his "rollerblade" feet. Pretty neat job on both points, but his wheel feet and his "backpack" are kind of a bad mix and require some fumbling around to work together. Very cool transformation, though...I like the way his panels snap together and even become his arm-blades. Very crafty considering how little "body" there is from the alt. mode to work with in his case. And the light-piping on his eyes is next-to-useless since it's mostly blocked by that damned "backpack," but no biggie. Still way cool.

TOPSPIN
    [​IMG]

Not a big fan of Nascar, but I thought the good ol' boy designs for The Wreckers were pretty hilarious and just thought I should have at least one. Plus, this figure's apparently a bit of a shelf-warmer so he's the only one I could find, lol. Overall he's a pretty cool toy but fairly unremarkable apart from his gangly shape and all. Glad I have him but he's just kinda there. Looks pretty great in both modes and the only real problem I have with him is that he's almost impossible to transform without those back-pieces popping right off at the drop of a hat. Ugh.

Jolt
    [​IMG]

Jolt is pretty interesting and weird, and not just the way transforms. His very existence in the TF:D otM line is a bit of headscratcher, lol. His is probably one of the harder Level 2 car transformations, but maybe that's 'cause I only just recently picked him up and haven't messed with him much yet. I still have NO idea how his legs finally fit into his alt. mode, I just know that if I wiggle them around and fuss with them they just eventually do. Gotta work on that, lol. I like the way they changed it up a LOT from the other car transformation patterns, though. It's VERY different from the others and pretty tight and compact, too. Pretty neat...glad I got him, I guess.

SHOCKWAVE
    [​IMG]

HELL, YES!!! Now THIS is a badass figure! His alt. mode is a bit meh, but not bad and hey...at least he HAS one, lol. I don't think I've even bothered transforming him into it even ONCE, actually. But not because it's lackluster, more because his robot-mode is SO AWESOME. Pretty much PERFECT and worth EVERY PENNY. Great light-piping on his eye, you can switch his gun to either arm depending on your cartoon vs. comics preference, plus he'll still have a hand on the OTHER arm, regardless. But mostly he just looks BIG and MEAN and every bit as intimidating as he should. And his bigass feet are a HUGE bonus. He can pretty much stand on his own no matter what.

I have to add, too...as I was on my way up to the checkout line with my Shockwave toy, it really hit me; I WAS FINALLY ABOUT TO BUY A SHOCKWAVE TOY!!! Been trying to find one to buy for, oh, I don't know...almost THIRTY GODDAMNED YEARS. 'Bout time! I just had the HUGEST grin on my face the whole time, lol.

TAKE MY MONEY, PLEASE!!!

Anyway, I was generally sticking to the Deluxe Class figures since they're everywhere and you get a pretty good bang for your buck, plus it's just SO easy to just plop down another 10 bucks on a new one every time you get some groceries or whatever, but I just HAD to have this Voyager Class figure. He's pretty much perfectly to scale against my Barricade and the rest of them, so that was a BIG plus. Have I mentioned I love this figure yet? Haha.

WIN/WIN/WIN/WIN/WIN/WIN.

BUMBLEBEE
    [​IMG]

So I'm only including a pic of the Nitro variant of Bumblebee because its pic was better than the ones I could find for the Normal and Cyberfire variants, but I actually own all three and like those better. Nitro Bumblebee has a neat look and it's interesting to see his slightly different transformation, I just like the Cyberfire design better and think the Normal toy is great.

Bumblebee is obviously the focus of the movies and the toys, and rightly so. But unlike his old G1 toy, this figure is one of the true HOME RUNS of the line, imho. He's really sturdy, holds his own weight well, has a simple but cool transformation, and just has really cool and "heroic" proportions that, in conjunction with his articulation points, make him almost impossible to pose in a way that doesn't look awesome.

EXCELLENT figure.

I especially like the black-base-with-flames design for his Cyberfire repaint, too...it's a really cool look. And his bright orange eyes lit up with the light-piping are hard to miss against his darker frame. Like any franchise, the bad guys usually look cooler and its neat to see what Bumblebee might look like as a Decepticon, lol. If I can find one I might put a tiny Decepticon sticker over his Autobot insignia! And those evil, evil eyes!!! STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!

Nitro's pretty cool, too. But most of the difference is slight and only really noticeable in his alt. mode.

I'm planning on stocking up on a bunch of these Bumblebees when they inevitably wind up on super low markdown after warming the shelves forever. My pal's kids are gonna love 'em and these toys were definitely made tough with kids in mind.

But now for the BIG guy...

SENTINEL PRIME
    (LEADER CLASS)
    [​IMG]

O_O​

Daaaaaaamn.

Hands-down one of the most awesome Transformers I have EVER owned. I've gotta admit, after having a bit of a difficult time acclimating to the new style of engineering and transformation for these toys compared to the old G1 figures, I was MORE than a little intimidated by his Level 3 transformation-difficulty rating. Not to mention the $42 price tag!

WORTH EVERY GODDAMNED PENNY.

But, yeah...it took me over an HOUR to figure out how to get him into vehicle mode the first time, and he still wasn't quite there, lol. Definitely a hell of a good puzzle! He is just INCREDIBLE. The level of engineering involved in this guy is AMAZING. His arms fold INTO his legs, ffs! Pretty tricky, lol.

For the hefty price the negatives are kind of an extra-big bummer, though. Mine has a pretty sloppy paintjob on the face so it's red in some parts that should be silver and vice-versa. Not cool. And part of what made him so awesome was Leonard Nimoy's voice work, but they cut corners and probably didn't wanna pay the licensing fees ior whatever for his ACTUAL voice, so he kinda sounds like crap when he says the few things he does. The siren is nice, although a bit awkwardly placed (keeps going off while transforming), and the "extra" sounds kinda suck, especially being of limited use. And his paneling and stuff could've been a bit tighter, but it's still very impressive.

I also love his transforming shield and dual-bladed sword, but I was kinda pissed to discover he didn't have his signature rust gun. For 42 bucks I'd rather have all his weapons and none of the crappy voice, but ho-hum.

It's pretty hard to hold any of that against him when you can just sit there staring at him looking awesome and wondering how in the hell they got all that figure compacted down into his alt. mode so tightly, lol.

Plus, he's roughly to scale side-by-side with the Deluxe Class toys so he's a great companion to any collection of those figures. Now I just need a BIGASS Optimus to go head-to-head with him, lol.

ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL FIGURE.

SENTINEL PRIME
    (DELUXE CLASS)
    [​IMG]

Now THIS guy is a PIECE OF CRAP.

Don't get me wrong, if you want a tiny Sentinel that's the same size as the other Deluxe figures then he's not too bad. And he looks pretty good.

It's just that he's got a GINORMOUS "backpack" and HE'S BARELY EVEN A TRANSFORMER, ffs.

The way his "backpack" just kind of collapses around him in a firetruck-shaped shell makes all the kibble on his actual body a total fake-out and, in the end, he's almost more of a Pretender that happens to have a vehicle shell instead of an organic one. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a Leader Class style transformation, but this SUCKS.

But I knew that, I just bought him for his rust cannon so I could use it with my REAL Sentinel, the Leader Class. Of course that stupid MechTech crap means it won't hold its TRUE rust cannon shape, but with a little creative use of the clear rubber bands he's packaged with you can make it work. And THEN of course the other Sentinel can barely hold it, but if you twist his hand upside down so he's holding its peg with the BOTTOM of his hand then it kinda works, except you have to ratchet his arm JUST right to hold its weight, lol. Ugh. VERY frustrating purchase, even when you've bought it knowing it sucks. The less said about this cluster the better. Bleh.

MUDFLAP
    [​IMG]

Haha, I just LOVE the Twins...so I absolutely HAD to get this guy. He's goofy and ky00t just like he should be, I just wish to HELL that I could actually find Skids anywhere so I could have them both, especially since I really, REALLY wanna mock-up a half-decent photo-play and maybe even stop-motion recreation of their heroic sacrifice to save Bumblebee from Sentinel which sadly was cut from the final film. I've already got BIGASS Sentinel, a half-assed rust cannon, a Bumblebee, and now Mudflap...all I need NOW is a dead-ass Ironhide and crazy-ass Skids and I'm all set!!!

Oh, well. For now Mudflap sure looks awesome on my shelf as he flinches away from Sentinel Prime looming over him threateningly with his rust cannon aimed at Mudflap's head, lol. Pretty much to scale, too!

And it figures that there's finally a MechTech weapon that stays unfolded...except THIS one actually looks better retracted, lol. Argh.

Anyway!

That's my collection so far, such as it is.

I'm only two months in and still have a list I'm chippin' away at, so I'm sure I'll be updating it soon but I thought it was a pretty good start so far.

Plus, it's Valentine's Day and I really, really do love these toys, damnit.

So here we are.

:) 

2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Yeah. I think Dark of the Moon was a pretty good toyline. Its just that the they don't appear to be that interesting until you actually start Poseing and Transforming them.

My Favorite part of the line actually was the human alliance basics. And walmart has them on clearance for $5. Most of them become mega Targetmaster mechtech overkill weapons for the deluxes, voyagers, and leaders. So it makes them more visually interesting. plug Whirl as a gatling gun into Nitro Bumblebee or voyager Optimus Prime and it completes their look.

A shame we may never see that buzzsaw second head for laserbeak.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    This is pretty much exactly how I felt in 2002 when I bought Cryotek. When I first decided to rebuild my childhood collection in 2001, all I wanted was old G1 toys, thought beasts were stupid, thought Optimus as a fire truck was stupid. But then I see this beautiful blue dragon and decide to purchase it. At first, I'm overwhelmed with how difficult it is to transform (the wings were somewhat poorly designed when it came to folding his torso upside down), but I was amazed at the level of detail in the sculpt, the great colors, and the ARTICULATION! Robots have knees now, it's incredible! From there, I bought Scourge (who technically was a toy that was 7 years old at this point, but still, far removed from G1), and it's been all uphill ever since

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Your enthusiasm is refreshing. I'm glad for ya. One of my favorite things about new toys is the engineering and neat tricks the designers put in new molds; this is one aspect in which DOTM was vastly underrated, when it brought a lot of innovation and creativity to the table.

5. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I more or less went through the same type of enthusiasm back in 2007 with the first movie line. I still think the original Concept Camero Deluxe is one of the best examples of modern engineering on a Deluxe transformer.

I hope you can hold on to that enthusiasm and not become bitter and brow beaten, like myself.

6. Roger Semerad

Roger Semerad TFW2005 Supporter

Welcome to the fandom. If you have this level of enthusiasm for transformers, you’re in for years of fun.

The way you got into transformers is pretty similar to mine. Loved them growing up, but just stopped paying attention. Then during a visit from my uncle, my cousin (who was about 8 at the time) asked if I could help him transform one of his toys, which happened to be movie 1 leader class Optimus Prime. I hadn’t even looked at transformers since the start of beast wars, but I everyone knew how much I liked them. So I spend about 45 min. figuring out how this thing transformed without instructions. By the end I was impressed enough to go out and buy it. Unfortunately, by the time I went looking for it the only one on the shelves was the Nightwatch version. I didn’t like the colors on that one at all. I was still seeing transformers as more of a novelty at the time, so I forgot about it and went on with my life.

But I went into the toy isle every once and a while hoping it would show up. Then one day I saw a new leader class optimus. It looked different from the one I remembered though. So I searched online to see if they ruined my sought after toy. No….. no they didn’t. I’ve been buried deep into transforming toys ever since and I’ve gotten a lot better at transforming them.

So good luck with your collecting, and hope you find it as enjoying as I do.

7. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Glad you enjoy them and welcome! I must recommend DOTM Skyhammer. You will love him.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Despite my general dislike of Starscream's movie design, I picked up a DotM deluxe just to add to my Starscream collection. And to my surprise, I really liked him. I liked him enough to pick up Thundercracker and plunk down the cash for Skywarp. So now I have a trio of movie Seekers, and I rather like how they look on my shelf.

Shockwave is great, never transformed him either. He does look badass, though.

Had to get Laserbeak. He was really the best TF from DotM, I felt, so buying him was pretty easy.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Despite the fact that his vehicle mode isn't really anything, he's surprisingly fun to transform

10. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes this is pretty much exactly what happened to me with the first movie and more so with the 2nd. The first movie I started buying a few figures, and then it got me online and I discovered alternators. Those got me hooked back into the hobby, and now I have a ton of TFS. haha.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That smaller Sentinel is Voyager class, actually. It's pretty noticable when you put him next to other Voyagers.

Also you'd be surprised what a good paintjob can do for that toy.

12. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

DOTM wise I only purchased Voyager Megatron and Voyager Shockwave.

Found both to be fairly enjoyable.

I was looking forward to Voyager Sentinel Prime.

But, the opportunity never arrived until my focus shifted to Generations/RTS.

After that it was aimed at DC action figures (namely Batman Legacy).

Now I'm looking towards Transformers Prime for the next month or two.

After that I'll take a break until FOC Shockwave goes on pre-order.

Also welcome to TFW2005 Hazekiah.

13. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I haven't picked up any DOTM toys, since my movie shelves are pretty packed, but what got me back into TFs was Animated. I hadn't bought a TF since late into Energon, and I had recently dug out all my Transformers from my basement. I loved them! I went to Wal-mart to see if they had a Bionicle toy I wanted, but they didn't. I checked the TF section, and the had an Animated Grimlock! I had brought $30 and didn't want to go home empty handed, so I bought him. I loved it! Every time I went to town I bought an Animated toy. I was hooked. And now, I am a full on TF fan. :D 

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Good thread is good, and for the most part, I can credit my return to transformers (after Beast Wars/Beast Machines anyway) to ROTF Sideswipe. Like, there were a couple of random things I found myself appreciating in between like the classics Nemesis Prime & the Alternators Hound, but it was never enough of a push to actually go back to buying shit, let alone to actually get involved in the fandom itself.

However when I saw the Corvette concept, my mind was blown & I wanted to pick up a diecast model of that car. Then through my google travels I realized that I really liked the transformer it became too, so I looked thoroughly into every version that was released, eventually arising on the HA as my pick because I mostly wanted it for the car at that time anyway. However, when nobody in my are still had old stock of it, I took to these forums instead of others because I loved using the resource section & because it was much easier than seibertron to navigate (not to mention I liked the simple vB skin better than their black one). I didn't wanna start buying shit as a total noob, so I just came here every day or so & fell more into the pit. Soon enough I realized that I wanted to buy some of the BW figures I didn't manage to get as a kid (mostly TM Tarantulas), so I bought him along with a few others from Dr Prime couse I knew he was cool from his youtube channel... one of which was a ROTF Sideswipe. It wasn't the HA, but now I cared about the robot mode more & didn't really want one that big, so it worked out for the best, and he's still the centerpiece of my movie shelf.

... FF a few months & here I am, surrounded with fresh crack.

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aw, this is my new favorite thread. Breath of fresh air! I pretty much went through the same thing you did ("TFs are THIS good now?") only with the RotF line!

It's interesting to see DotM reviews that bash Starscream and love Sideswipe, though. Deluxe Scream is quite good I feel. But Leader Scream is AWESOME.

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I like both of those versions, and even though I have the leader & Deep Space repaint of the movie 07 Starscream, I still pondered on the DOTM Deluxe.

17. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I've been collecting since Beast Wars.

The only time I've taken a break was during the summer/winter.

I was focused on DC products.

The movie line had pretty much died down.

I was caught up with Generations/RTS.

Near the end of the month will be the first time I've bought a Transformer in a while.

I think Voyager Shockwave was paid for back in July of 2011.

For me toys (DBZ, DC, Gundam, Marvel, Power Rangers, Transformers) have been a constant since I can remember.

At this point I appreciate them more as a whole (character/design/engineering) then when I was a child.

Not going to lie there are times when I'm cleaning that I'll pick one up and make the pew, pew, pew noise or press the electronics button.

I was a dork as a child.

Still a dork as an adult.

18. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

Cybertron Optimus Prime was the figure that hooked me back into Transformers. I was all about G1 as a kid, they came out when I was 7. Lost interest when I was 11. In 2005 my four year old daughter had been watching G1 and asking for transformers for months, but i did not have the ability at the time to buy vintage/reissues. When I saw Cybertron OP at walmart, that was it. A huge bulky looking Optimus that resembled the original robot more than either toy made during the G1 era, with four distinct modes (three of them great), tons of gimmicks, and poseability that blew my mind. Still one of my five favorites in our 250-plus collection, and we own most of the masterpieces. Bought nearly the entire Cybertron line and my kids and I have been buying everything in sight ever since, much to my wife's chagrin. Even went to botcon for the first time last year.