Fallen Soldier and Protests

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoiler, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Very very wrong on the part of the Protesters...

Dad of a fallen Marine perseveres against protests at military funerals - Yahoo! News

I mean seriously...who the f*ck has the nerve to go to a funeral of a dead soldier, who died protecting the very freedoms that these people claim to have, and protest at it. Than expect the family of the dead soldier to pay for that protest?! Sick fucks...

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, this is disgusting... i get that people believe different things, and that's okay, but to go to someone's funeral and mock them while their family is in mouring? and then to be so naive to believe that this is what your God wants you to do? beyond disturbing...

3. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Protesting at a funeral, no matter the cause, is in real bad taste (to say the least). These wastes of skin, and oxygen, need to get lives.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You're of course entitled to disagree with the protester's statements--but they don't "claim" to have those freedoms. They actually have them. And in my mind, suing them disrespects soldiers more than the protests do.

'Sides, without freedom of speech, how do we know where the assholes are?

5. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I feel this thread may have to be locked unfortunately because of the religious purpose behind it. But just to throw in my 2 cents, this is wrong. He shouldn't pay jack shit. How dare they do such a thing for someone who sacrificed their life fighting for our safety.

Ugh, I hate people. If you need me I'm going to fuck around with my genetic make-up with animal DNA so I don't have to feel disgusted to be the same species as these idiots.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

People are dying in Iraq and elsewhere because the nation tolerates homosexuality? That's gotta be one of the most 'full-of-shit' ideas I've ever heard.

And why the hell does the father have to pay the legal fees for this fanatics, anyway? He didn't pay them to be there, he probably would have kicked them out of there had he been leagly able to.

7. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I am not arguing their rights to protest or freedom of speech. I am upset that they would do this at a funeral of a dead soldier, and disrespect him and his family, and then have the nerve to try and make the family pay for the protest.

Being the news topic has to do with the protesters at a funeral, not so much about what their religious beliefs are, I think it is ok. The reason I even posted this was about how sick this is of them to do this at a funeral.

It said the group is antigovernment AND antihomosexual. I am guessing their protest is about antigovernment, because it doesn't mention anything about the soldier being homosexual.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No, I mean, I get that...but I'm not sure you read the article correctly. They're not making him pay for the protest. They countersued for legal costs after his suit against them was dismissed (on appeal). The fact that they admit the "legal fees" they've recouped will be going to protests instead of, well, legal fees is a little distressing, but they didn't come after him for the fees out of nowhere.

No, WBC's position is that soldiers dying in Iraq is the result of God's anger at America because we tolerate homosexuality in general, not specifically in the military or that this soldier was gay.

Then report it, or don't post in it, or post your opinion on the topic. Why the need to opine on the possible outcomes?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  9. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Okay, I'm really getting goddamn sick of this church. REALLY sick. It seriously is up in my top 5 most hated things on Earth.
    I will happily piss them off in the best way I can when/if they get to my city.

Mainly because I have an uncle in Iraq. And seeing the way this church disrespects people that died for THEIR RIGHTS, really pisses me off.

10. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Does that mean, I am not allowed to be mad at the group for protesting at a dead soldiers funeral? Even worse, if you read later in the story, they already plan to go to another funeral in Florida. I mean come on...is it not worse enough that a family has to mourn their loss, that they have to show up and protest what this person died for?

Yes, I understand the countersue, but, why is it that he must pay anything over something that was out of his control? Did he ask that they show up? No. His having anything to do with giving them any money, is what I question about it.

11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with that last sentence - let the protestors send their message out just so people can see how laughably ridiculous they are.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Old and unfortunate news, this has been going on for quite some time. It deserves more attention though.

Someone needs to counter-protest this church though, give them a taste of their own medicine.

13. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some states allow the party being sued to countersue for legal costs (if the defendant wins). This I believe was instituted to try to curtail frivouless (sp?) lawsuits. Some states even mandate the loser pay the winners the legal costs automatically without having to countersue for it.

While the protestors have freedom of speech rights, doesn't the father of the soldier have rights as well to have a peaceful funeral? If the protestors caused emotional distress then the father should receive compensation.

14. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I feel bad, I really do. Lost a loved one, and they have to add this garbage on top of it. Wonder what the group thinks about "respect for the dead". Probably think nothing of it.

15. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    I Just read this on CNN....It disturbs me how cruel these people can be.

16. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    This is probably the ultimate form of Griefing I've ever seen. I mean, with the 1st Amendment behind them, as long as they stay well within the confines of their actions, they can't (seemingly) be hurt.

Tactless, yes. Illegal? ... Apparently not.

17. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

That "church" really pisses me off. They give Christians a bad name in the eyes of Americans and the rest of the world. What they do is made all the more despicable by the fact that they do it in the name of my God. Ugh.

18. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I understand that they have the right to free speech, but c'mon, let the guy mourn his son in peace.

19. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Nah. That is feeding the trolls. Dont feed the trolls.

20. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    While I like that idea, it however doesn't make the counter-protest group any more right than them. Stooping down to their level...well just makes you as bad as them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.