Fall of Cybertorn Tournament at Dragon*Con

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by HeroicC300, Aug 5, 2012.

1. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Okay, so I'm going to apply to work with Video Games at Dragon*Con this year, so I can work it next year, and two Tournaments I want to do are Fall of Cybertron and Motorstorm: Apocalypse.

Any advice for what to not allow for the Fall tournament? I already have ideas.

2. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Turbo controllers.

3. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

-No more than 1 titan
    -all players must use the BB skin for Infiltrator only, because fuck them that's why

4. BlackLight

BlackLight Banned

No pick ups, bare bones baby, bare bones.

5. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Actually, I'd have it so four of the six players would each be a different class, and the last two couldn't be the same class; no more than two of a class.

As for the BB thing, no.

6. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

But making people use BB is funny ;_;

7. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Turbo controllers?

And no to the BB only thing because letting people pick their own parts is more interesting.

8. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Yeah they have rapid fire buttons.

9. GRIML0CK

GRIML0CK I despise Optimus Prime.

What would be your rules? I'd participate.

10. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Ah.

I see.

So, Tournament is a go to try and convince the Video Game guys to do next year?

11. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    1. No RedMist

2. No turbo controllers

3. Limited amount of destroyers

12. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Working on them. It'd take place in 2013, but so far, things I've gotten down include:
    No chokepointing with barriers
    No perks for cloaking
    No bunny hopping
    No duplicate builds for the same team
    One class per team until each is taken, and then only one other can take that class
    No spawn camping
    This will sound a tad silly, but I'm not going to allow TDM in the Tournament. Conquest, Countdown to Extinction and Capture the Flag, yes. TDM? No

Still working on other rules

13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    No. For the love of god, please.

I hate you already. You make my soul cry. ;_;

The POINT of a tournament is that it is a fair, balanced playing field for people to test their skills on and determine whom is the best of the best.

Limiting abilities, classes, builds, and perks is NOT leveling out the playing field. All that stuff exists in the game because it allows the players to play how they want to play. By putting arbitrary limits, you are only skewing the playing field in favor of players who are less skilled, rather than those who have learned to play the game and to learn the "Meta" as it is. By arbitrating rules like that, YOU are determining how the game is played, rather than allowing the players to play how the game was intended to be played.

I don't know if I can ever hope to convince you, but take the major worldwide fighting game tournament rules. All characters, standard time limits, all stages, loser picks next stage, double elimination, Players keep character throughout tournament, and only switch on loss.

14. GRIML0CK

TDM would be fine IMO. But it would be your tournament, not mine. I like the rules Btw, they fit. I'll be sure to sign up when the time comes.

15. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Hmm, some of your points are valid. I'll need to study the full Fall MP.

Things like the Barrier and Bunny Hopping rules are to prevent cheap maneuvers.

I haven't fully put down all the rules in my head yet.

It'll be PS3 though, for the console used.

16. GRIML0CK

Haha, damn. I don't have a PS3

17. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    The tournament will be at a convention. You'll have to go to it to play.

18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    THere's nothing "cheap" about any maneuver or tactic. The only reason why you think it's "cheap" is because you haven't figured out how to get around them.

I'm going to presume that you play games on a regular basis if you're interested in setting up a tournament. If that's the case, then listen to me for a bit. Really listen and let what I say soak in.

There's no cheap strategies. There's only a player's inability to overcome.

Fighting game tournaments ban no strategies. In Soul Calibur, ring outs are valid, and although they are not popular, no fighting game tournament would ever ban them. All fighting game tournaments allow "Corner trapping." Some characters are based on using that strategy, and if you get corner trapped, it is because YOU the player failed to see the set up and you probably deserve to lose.

Team Fortress 2 tournaments ban no characters. They use balanced maps such as 2Fort and such, but all strategies, no matter how "cheap" are valid and acceptable. All classes are acceptable no matter how overpowered they may seem.

Starcraft 2 tournaments use Blizzard Ladder approved maps. All races are allowed, and all strategies are allowed no matter how cheesy and "cheap" they are. Again, if you lose to a so-called "cheap" strategy, then you deserved that loss.

This is the reality of tournaments. They are a test of skill...and in order to fully test that skill, you **MUST** play the game as it was intended. If you add arbitrary rules, then it isn't playing the game as intended anymore. Bannings of stages and characters are extremely rare in real, serious tournaments. There are games that are more prone to bannings and restrictions, such as Smash Brothers and Magic: The Gathering, but those are exceptions, rather than the rule.

For the record, I'm a fighting game player. I've been playing fighting games for over 10 years, starting with Guilty Gear. I've participated in local tournaments but I've never had the time to go to any majors, like EVO. At EVO, thousands of the worlds best fighting game players gather and brawl, and determine who is the king of the hill until the next year. It's hyper serious. I'm very serious about tournaments, and I only wish to see them done right.

19. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    How is the barrier cheap?

20. HeroicC300

News Credits:
    Only when someone uses it to block off routes and put themselves in a place where they can slaughter the entire enemy team and not get counterattacked at all.