Fake classics suggestions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by T16skyhopp, Aug 3, 2007.

1. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey all,

My classics shelf has some impostors on it and I was wondering if you could suggest some more?

Right now in addition to actually classics, i have armada unicron playing the part of... unicron. Energon Shockblast as Shockwave, superlink Wheeljack as... Wheeljack.. and TRU g1 Soundwave, playing himself. and his tapes. yay tapes. Are there any other suggestions for modern figures that are enough of a homage to a classic character that you think would fit in? I'm thinking maybe energon scorponok? colors are a lil off... but certain things like breakdown gts, while being an awesome homage, it doesn't look enough like kup to be classics kup.

Oh well, any suggestions? looking for an excuse to spend money I don't have I guess, and I just love me some classics.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Cybertron Smokescreen fills his origionals place nicely. Though we will probably get an actual Classics Smokescreen down the road.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Cybertron Smokescreen, Cybertron Armorhide as pipes, Energon Galvatron as Galvatron, Energon Downshift as Wheeljack, Cybertron Downshift as random autobot ( he isn't an homage to anyone specific, but fits the aesthetic ), Energon Scorpy, Energon Shockblast, Cybertron Blurr, Cybertron Runamuck, Titanium 6" Scourge, Rodimus Prime, and Ultra Magnus.

4. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Energon Downshift as Wheeljack, Energon Arcee as Arcee, Cybertron Smokescreen as Smokescreen, Cybertron Armorhide as Pipes, Cybertron Breakdown GT as Kupp, Cybertron Blurr as Blurr and Cybertron Swerve as Windcharger. For 'cons, G2 Smokescreen as Darkwing, R.I.D. Ruination as Bruticus, and a Alt Shockwave head as Shockwave

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've got Energon Downshit, Energon Arcee, Titanium Rodimus Prime, Cybertron Blurr, Energon Shockblast, Cybertron Soundwave, Titanium Scourge, and a few others that I cannot recall on the shelf right now.

6. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
  7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I guess the most obvious ones would be Botcon Ironhide, Ratchet, and Fallback (who was really Outback, and just couldn't be called as such for copyright reasons). The first two will cost you a pretty penny, but I've seen Fallback go for fairly cheap on eBay. And if you get Fallback, you can make a decent case for getting Movie Strongarm as a stand-in for Brawn (though C. Overhaul also makes a good Brawn).

The just-released MP3 Soundwave IS Classics Soundwave, as far as I'm concerned. His aesthetic, articulation, and scale match perfectly. For his cassettes, Real Gear Booster and Energon Ravage are decent stand-ins for Laserbeak and Ravage.

Lots of homages in Energon. Folks already mentioned Shockblast, Wheeljack, Galvatron, etc. Energon Towline could pass as Skids, Energon Omega Supreme looks a fair bit like G1 Omega Supreme (even down to being a parts-former). Bulkhead is a total Springer homage, arguably more so than Botcon Springer. Arcee makes a great, well, Arcee.

The Energon Aerialbots are, in my opinion, and almost PERFECT upgrade for the G1 Aerialbots. It's easy to match up the coloring of the jets with their G1 counterparts, and Superion looks great next to Classics Devastator.

Hmmm.... other than that.... well, even though he's a 'Con, Cybertron Shortround is pretty similar to Seaspray.

If you're desperate, you could stretch the aesthetic rules and lump in the RID/Universe car brothers... Sideburn as Tracks, Prowl as Prowl, Universe Ratchet as Ratchet, Universe Inferno as Red Alert. They have a different look, but their scale is spot-on.

Honestly, the only "outsiders" that I have (or will have, in the case of MP3-wave) mixed in with Classics are Cybertron Armorhide, Energon Superion, Real Gear Booster, and MP3 Soundwave. While it's tempting to try to fill out the ranks with others, when I tried that it just started looking too cluttered.... and diluting the awesomeness that is Classics.

EDIT: Wow, I never noticed that Cybertron Downshift bore a resemblance to Gutcruncher! That's kinda cool. Since he is a garishly-colored, slightly evil-looking Wheeljack lookalike, you could also slap a 'Con symbol on him and call him Slicer:

http://www.tfu.info/1991/Decepticon/Slicer/slicer.htm

8. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I use Energon Omega Supreme as g1 Omega Surpreme and Downshift as g1 Wheeljack. I have Ko cybertron Starscreams as random seekers.