Customs: "fake chrome" for leader class movie prime ?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by obin_gam, Jul 14, 2007.

1. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

hi dudes!

just bought leader class prime and it really hurt in my wallet ($100 wtf!?) so I'm a little concerned if I really should do what I'm thinking of doing...

anyways: I really dont like the boring grey plastic that is suppose to be the "chromed parts" of him, so I'm thinking of painting the grey so it looks much more like it should (that is: so it looks like its chrome or atleast so it looks like metal).
    but what color should I use? the only real option I have is to use GW (GamesWorkshop) colors, but which one? I'm thinking about mithril silver or maybe chainmail?

and also, the two joints on the hood that makes up the "kneepad" looks really stupid with their grey color, so I'm thinking about painting them ro a redish color, but the same question there, hehe, which color?

and last: before I paint, should I use sandpaper on the surface so the new color sticks, or should it stick anyway?

thanks in advance/
    rob

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Look up some stuff called Bare Metal Foil. It's actually real metal foil that will stick to the plastic. It's not very durable at all, though so once you put it on, it'll pretty much be a display-only piece. But if you want to paint it, yeah..any silver color will look better than what they toy has by default. Just do what you think looks best.

As for the grey part on the knees, what I did was I took the knee apart (knocked the pins out with a hammer an awl) and then sanded down the hard edges so they were smooth and to give the joints room so they wouldn't rub/wear against each other and then mixed up the brightest red paint I had and a tad of the brightest yellow paint I had till it was close to the color of the plastic. Paint the piece, reassemble and voila! I used acrylics, btw. Enamels..I don't like too much.

As for sanding, yeah, it helps. But if there's fine sculpted-in details it'll pretty much annihilate those when you sand it. Give it a very light sanding. Just enough to roughen up the surface. That'll give it enough so that it'll make the paint stick better. Then, once you're done, give it a spray-on acrylic clear coat or a couple coats of Futur Floor Finish to make the paint more durable.

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Look up some stuff called Bare Metal Foil. It's actually real metal foil that will stick to the plastic. It's not very durable at all, though so once you put it on, it'll pretty much be a display-only piece. But if you want to paint it, yeah..any silver color will look better than what they toy has by default. Just do what you think looks best.

As for the grey part on the knees, what I did was I took the knee apart (knocked the pins out with a hammer an awl) and then sanded down the hard edges so they were smooth and to give the joints room so they wouldn't rub/wear against each other and then mixed up the brightest red paint I had and a tad of the brightest yellow paint I had till it was close to the color of the plastic. Paint the piece, reassemble and voila! I used acrylics, btw. Enamels..I don't like too much.

As for sanding, yeah, it helps. But if there's fine sculpted-in details it'll pretty much annihilate those when you sand it. Give it a very light sanding. Just enough to roughen up the surface. That'll give it enough so that it'll make the paint stick better. Then, once you're done, give it a spray-on acrylic clear coat or a couple coats of Futur Floor Finish to make the paint more durable.

4. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you may want to use somthing like testor's chrome spray paint. put a base of black down first. Clear coat dried chrome spray for more durability.

5. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you may want to use somthing like testor's chrome spray paint. put a base of black down first. Clear coat dried chrome spray for more durability.

6. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

thanks for all the tips!

any sort of silverish color: roger
    bright red + bright yellow: affirmative
    careful with sandpaper: understood
    clearcoat for nice finish: will do

I think Im not going to use spraypaint atall... just dont feel like making the sort of arragement for that, so Ill stick with "fine-detail-brushes" :) 

7. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

thanks for all the tips!

any sort of silverish color: roger
    bright red + bright yellow: affirmative
    careful with sandpaper: understood
    clearcoat for nice finish: will do

I think Im not going to use spraypaint atall... just dont feel like making the sort of arragement for that, so Ill stick with "fine-detail-brushes" :) 

8. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

Holy crap, I just remembered I have a whole damn roll of that chrome-tape stuff. Had it for years.

Papa's got a brand new bag. ;) 

9. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

Holy crap, I just remembered I have a whole damn roll of that chrome-tape stuff. Had it for years.

Papa's got a brand new bag. ;) 

10. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Like the silver paper in a cigarette pack?

11. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Like the silver paper in a cigarette pack?

12. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

You paid $100 for it?

13. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

You paid $100 for it?

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    He's in sweden, they get charged more

15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    He's in sweden, they get charged more

16. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

we dont get charged more, we get SCREWED :rolleyes2 

17. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

we dont get charged more, we get SCREWED :rolleyes2 

18. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Go Bare Metal Foil all the way.

It looks much better than paint.

If you screw up, it comes right off and the toy is back to factory condition.

The downside: It takes some skill.

I'll post pics of mine tomorrow.

19. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Go Bare Metal Foil all the way.

It looks much better than paint.

If you screw up, it comes right off and the toy is back to factory condition.

The downside: It takes some skill.

I'll post pics of mine tomorrow.

20. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

This is TOTALLY off-topic, but all this talk of metal foil reminded me of something i used to do in elementary school. If you're VERY careful, you can peel the foil off of gum wrappers and turn it into metal leafing foil. It has an adhesive on it already after taking it off the thin sheet of wax paper, so it sticks wonderfully. I used to use this stuff to cover EVERYTHING- pens, pencils, pencil sharpeners, etc. I coated a "Bumblebee" once and it looked VERY cool. I also turned Snake-eyes into destro.

[/waxing nostalgic]