Faith in Video Stores: Restored!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AutobotSkids, Jul 3, 2012.

1. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Well, today I travelled into town to sell Transformers: Dark of the Moon and one of my two Transformers: War for Cybertron discs. I never play Dark of the Moon anymore and I needed to come up with some money quick for Fall of Cybertron and Black Ops 2. Selling would be my best option.

I headed down to Gamestop first, I assumed I'd make more off of them. I asked the cashier how much I could get for selling both games, and it only rung up to a combined total of $6.80. There was no way I'd only accept six dollars for 120 dollars worth of PS3 games, so I took my business elsewhere.

I went inside to a used game/CD/Movie Store store called "Disc Replay" and where I talked to a friendly guy at the register. He requested that he inspect the discs, something the Gamestop cashier didn't bother to do, and said he'd give me $8.00 for Dark of the Moon. War for Cybertron he couldn't accept because it had a small scratch, and they didn't have a Blu-Ray Disc cleaner. I could tell they cared a lot about quality, so I happily accepted the 8 dollars for DotM.

Eight bucks for a crappy movie game isn't bad. They certainly swayed me considering that they care so much about quality and have such low prices! 40 dollars for a current release game? 3 dollars for a classic movie title? Incredible!

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, the market for used games & movies is probably gonna die sooner than later (or at least decrease quite a bit), so yeah... 8 bucks for something you couldn't unload these days is pretty good haah.

3. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I think the trick is definitely to go to the lesser known "mom and pop" stores that aren't national chains. Corporate places like Gamestop are just gonna screw you so that they can make the most amount of money where as the smaller places have the flexibility to consider things like condition. We have a place here called Dimple that deals in videos, games, cd... and a friend of mine sold so much that he was able to afford a PS3.

4. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got the DOTM game brand new before xmas for $10 from EB Games (Gamestop in Canada) so I can see why they offered you nothing for it. sucks but as TNS said, that's the business.

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Plus, you can probably get more value for your shit if you ask for trade/store value as one of your counter offers instead of simply wanting cash, so checking the place out before hand to see if there's anything you'd like never hurts.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Disk replay is a great store. We have them all over here, and I love going there to grab movies that I haven't bought yet. Great prices, great quality. Great store, :) .

7. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Video Stores are still around?

I kid

8. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

It wouldn't be a bad idea, i considered waiting until Black Ops 2 or FOC came out, but I'm not sure if the value would be the same for a used year old game and a brand new one, you know?

I gotta love Mom and Pop stores though, they provide the quality and fair prices that bigger chains won't provide.