Fair price for ROTF Bruticus/FP add-ons?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TitanCi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. TitanCi

TitanCi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know a guy that wants to sell me an INCOMPLETE ROTF Bruticus but with the FP add-ons to make a "complete" Bruticus. What is a fair price to pay for a set like this although two of the original pieces are missing? Is it even important to have those two pieces (from a collectors point of view, yes I see that it's needed, but what if I don't care to resell it?)

Thanks for the opinions!

2. s_cren

s_cren Banned

I got a sealed ROTF and FANSPROJECT munitioner and explorer set for 200$ at a toy show

3. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I see it gunning around 400 for both complete these days, but that's probably price gouging.

4. TitanCi

News Credits:
    That's a helluva deal. I was offering the guy $225 for the set, but he still wanted more. What show did you go to?

^That's what I'm seeing too, but for complete sets. That's why I don't feel like paying a price higher than say $250 for an incomplete set...

Thanks for the info so far!

5. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah it's pretty ridiculous what people want for the munitioner/explorer set right now. Reminds me when everyone was paying $300+ for city commander, then they reissued him. I really hope that's what happens here because there is no way in hell I'm paying over 200 for munitioner and explorer. I know people can "justify" the price and mention how long they were available for retail, but I don't care. I feel sorry for anyone that pays over 200 for the whole set (bruticus and the add ons).

Plus I was speaking to an "insider" who has connections with FP and he said that anyone who wants some of the older FP products that are sold out should join fan project core as there might be some stuff new/old stuff that's coming out in the near future...

6. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I agree with this. Tack on an extra $250.00 for the ROTF set MISB as well.

7. TitanCi

News Credits:
    ^Yeah, that's why I'm so reluctant to buy it, ESPECIALLY knowing the one I'm considering isn't even a complete Bruticus set.

How much were Munitioner and Explorer when FP released them? Bruticus was like $50 retail, right?

8. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    briticus was $50 (and was heavily clearanced prior to the FP sets), munitioner and explorer were $50 each, so $150. Now you can't find a sealed set for less than $400 on ebay and the FP guys are going for $250-300 by themselves. complete BS/price gouging

9. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I have the FP sets MISB as well as the 25th Anniversary set of Bruticus MISB. If I were to ever sell them as a set, I can't imagine how much I would get. It's very tempting though

10. TitanCi

News Credits:
    ^I agree.. I remember reading about the clearanced Bruticus sets. That sucks for the ones like me that want it now...

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    remember too there's a LOT of color options as far as what you can use to make a bruticus. you don't need the rotf set, and can possibly piecemeal one together much cheaper, but a lot of people prefer the rotf colors.

not too many bargains you're gonna find on munitioner and explorer though.

12. s_cren

s_cren Banned

i got it at a toy show in columbus ohio

13. TitanCi

News Credits:

Yeah, you're right, but the ROTF color set appeals to me most.

So it looks like the best I can get him for from this dude offering it to me is about $285 shipped with the FP add ons (sans the two original pieces they replace)... still too much???

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I was looking at prices too, and they are ridiculous. I would gladly pay 250 for both sets, sadly that seems impossible. :( 

15. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I originally only paid $7.48 for the ROTF Bruticus when it went on clearance at Target.I'd love to get the Munitioner/Explorer add-ons but at those crazy prices I know I'll never be able to afford it so I've been kicking around the idea of just selling it.

16. TitanCi

News Credits:
    I know! Would you be OK paying $250 if the two original pieces were not included?

17. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I already had the Superlink Bruticus Maximus.
    But I got Munitioner & Explorer brandy new for $165 shipped back in January of this year from a gentleman here on TFW.

18. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    nah, $285 shipped is pretty damn good considering the FP upgrades are over a bill each now. imo that's a pretty fair price for the complete set in the colors you desire (and honestly, what would you do with the extra figs from the set anyways...).

19. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is a tough one. How bad do you want it?

Truth is, we can complain about price gouging all we want, the truth is that the RotF set isn't widely available anywhere now. And yeah, he was on clearance everywhere. But now? Thy aren't out there. Ditto the Munitioner and Explorer set. A complete set is probably worth all $400.00 you'll pay.

Now, an incomplete set? I saw that recently for about $340 here and I doubt it lasted a day. The truth is, the individual Hasbro parts, all varieties, don't go for less than $35.00 a piece here and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to sell you the FP parts for less than $180 or so. That means a energon color scheme Colussus would run you $285 or so, before shipping. I'd expect to pay $300 shipped for a Bruticus that wasn't G1 colored loose.

If you're a good negotiator and got one that is G1 down under that, good on you.

For the record, I don't own a colossus in any variant, but I have been actively hunting it. I just can't justify paying $300 in a shot. Perhaps if another good build for Bruticus hits, or there's a reissue, etc, it'll drop into my price range.

20. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Probably because the sellers see auctions that end near the $400 mark so they make the BIN around the same price. Not really gouging, since that's what the market itself is at. A lot of auctions have ended $400+, so the only way it'd be price gouging is if a lot of sellers just randomly put up high BIN prices, but that is not the case here.