F_R tip: magnetize your tools

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I realized, a lot of people might not know this simple 'trick' yet it is very easy and very effective. The instructions below, recommend a speaker magnet, however ANY magnet will do the trick. It makes taking apart and reassembling your projects a ton easier. No more frustration when that effin screw keeps falling out of it's hole and onto the floor.

Step One
    Find the strongest magnet that you can. The magnet found on the back of an old audio speaker is perfect for this. Hold this magnet in one hand and the screwdriver in the other. ​

Step Two
    Pull the screwdriver across the magnet.
    Touch the magnet to the base of the metal shaft of the screwdriver and pull the screwdriver until the tip reaches the magnet. ​

Step Three
    Repeat this several times to make the magnetic field stronger. Place some screws on a flat surface and test your new magnetic tool. The screws should stick to the screwdriver, making them easy to pick up and retrieve if dropped.​

Step Four
    To demagnetize the screwdriver, do the same steps above, but in reverse. Place the tip of the metal shaft on the magnet and push the screwdriver until the magnet reaches the base of the shaft. Repeat several times and the screwdriver should no longer be able to pick up the screws.​

*text and image above c/o ehow.com

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Good tip, and one which I've implemented on a couple of my screwdrivers - although I have no idea how or when! :p 

It really does make getting at those hard-to-reach screws that much easier.

It's even moreso when you're trying to put them back. When the screw hole is obscured and you can't hold the screw with one hand while you position the driver, a magnetic driver can do both jobs in one! :D 

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Thanks for posting it up for those that may not have known, FR.

I always thought this was common knowledge when working with things like this. I remember doing this stuff when I was a kid, ripping apart GI Joes like crazy.

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice tip F_R :thumb 

I'm sure we can put it to good use.

5. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Years ago, I bought some small round magnets, (from disk drives I think). I ended up throwing them in my tool box. I've found now all of my screwdrivers are slightly magnatized. Not too much, but enough that I can pick up screws as long as I move without jerky movements. Now I will also keep powerful magnets in my toolbox, and let them stick to my tools while in storage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.