F*** you Microsoft! (A.K.A., I got the Red Ring of death on my 360) :(

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Well, it finally happened. After 7 months of playing the Xbox 360, I got the red ring of death. Or to be more specific, only one red light is showing. I was playing some Halo 3 (like always) and suddenly the screen got all weird. At first I thought it was the game disc (though it could be, not sure), because when I went back to my dashboard, there was nothing wrong. So I decided to reboot my 360, and to my horror, I get a red light showing on the lower right of my 360 power ring. So, being a video game guy, I did everything I could. I blew on all the holes and outlets on the thing, probably thinking it was dust. I even unplugged it and replugged it, and that didn't help anything. So, my last option was to, unfortunately, call the Xbox Support line for help (same people who I had yelled at for not giving me a data transfer cable, but eventually got for my new 120GB hard drive), and whaddya know, that computer-automated butt Max told me the same shit that I ALREADY DID. So, he's of no help.

To be honest, I never really thought this would happen. My 360 is in a well-ventilated room, there was no fucking way it would get the RROD. Just no fucking way it could get it. Well, it did, and right near the release of Fallout 3, too. You'd think Microsoft would have fixed this problem with some sort of new computer chip that would prevent the RROD from happening. Well, knowing Microsoft, probably not. They're just busy being complete butts and not giving a damn about the customer. I'm gonna email them (it won't work, but it's worth a shot), and hopefully I can have a replacement 360 by then.

I'm sorry, I'm just extremely pissed off right now.

2. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Well I know when mine got the RROD Microsoft was actually super fast at getting me a replacement unit.

3. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully you'll get it resolved quick. You mentioned you have the 120 GB HDD, do you have the Elite model or did you just upgrade your HDD?

4. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

This. They were quick when it happened to mine and easy to talk to when I needed to call about other stuff as well.

5. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    That sucks. Still it isn't the Red Ring of Death (3 red bars flashing). It is still a hardware issue and much like the RROD I think Microsoft should replace the unit since turning it off and restarting it a few times hasn't worked. This was what I found about the lower right bar.

I don't think there is much anyone can do about the RROD. It doesn't seem to matter how you treat the system since people like yourself that treat it like a new born get it too. It seems like everyone who posts these problems always has it happen right when a really popular game is about to come out.

Hopefully they will do something about it and you can get a system soon. If they won't then I guess you could always try to get the RROD by trying to overheat it, although I don't really recommend that but I have seen people suggest it on here before.

6. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Sounds like the E-74(or is it F-74) and one red ring (bottom right flashing)

Boot up your console, and you should get a hardware failure screen. Ring up customer support and go through the motions of getting it shipped off to the repair centre.

This happened to me last month and it took 2 weeks and one day from the day sent it, and mine was a brand new system bought in January 08.

It should be under warrenty and they should have a free postal address to send via your email address for you to print out and send off etc.

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

:bday 

8. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I upgraded the HDD.

[​IMG]

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Thats just the room to hold them, the people just haven't arrived yet ;) 

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Holy shit! My XBL buddy got the Red Ring?!

No wonder I haven't seen you on all day.

This has happened to me, once. Call Microsoft, ask them if you can send it to them and for them to repair it. When you get it back, there will be a one free month membership card in the package. You should still be covered bu the warranty. And like the above dude said, Microshit was actually super fast.

(Sorry if you said if you did this, I am overly tired and can barely read anything.)

EDIT: Here is something that will hopefully brighten your day:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Welcome to the club, bro.

12. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

*shrug* atleast you dont get the blue screen of death anymore :D 

13. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Okay, a little update (and a rant). I called them twice today about my problems, and they say to call back on a count of a system update. WHY? I just want the damn thing repaired, or at the very least a replacement console. In all honesty, I never had to deal with this shit from Nintendo. When I got my Wii in Christmas 2006, and it wouldn't connect to the Internet, Nintendo gave me a replacement system for my troubles within days. Microsoft, in my own opinion, is the opposite. You'd figure that with a company like Microsoft, they would AT THE VERY LEAST try to fix this problem that's happened since its launch back in November of 2005. Well, it's been three years, and there's been little to no success. What a bunch of crap. Word of advice to Microsoft: If there's a problem, don't try to just do as little as you can to fix it; be detailed and take as much time as you need to solve the problem, rather than just add another computer chip that you say would help reduce the risk of the RROD. That, IMO, will not work. That's just trying to bullshit your way out of doing something for the betterment of the consumer, rather than actually taking some time and figuring out how you can make your system more efficient and less of an easily-breakable mess.

And no, the problem wasn't the hard drive, thankfully. It was the system itself.

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    sorry to hear man, this is my I will get a PS3 to compliment my Wii insteed of a 360.

Hope it works out for you

15. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Sorry to hear it.

My console dies every October. Seriously. It's supposed to be back from repairs and delivered on Wednesday...

What irks me is how the customer service reps make such a big deal about how they are going to give me a free month of Xbox live to make up for the inconvenience I'm experiencing. But if you think about it, you're not really getting a free month of anything. You're just not losing a month of Xbox live while your system is in for repairs...It's not like they "turn off" your service while you don't have the system. The meter is always running and I'm not getting anything for the inconvenience I'm experiencing.

16. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    OMG! Not that video.

Sorry dude about the RROD.

17. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Congratulations.
    You are a man now.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Damn, I've had my 360 almost a year without problems. Just be counting my lucky stars. Good to hear it's just the system and not the hard drive. Here's hoping you get it fixed later.

19. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Took exactly two weeks to get my 360 back. Three of the days were due to it being undeliverable to the repair facility due to the hurricane, another day was due to my lazy assed UPS man that refuses to knock on my door. I left the main ddoor open the next day.

I used the online form, no dealing with CSRs for me.

20. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I am on my FOURTH Xbox 360. Not kidding. I honestly play my PS3 a lot more now (I bought it after Xbox 360 broke down the third time) since I know it is always going to work and if games are for both systems I honestly just get it for PS3. You might want to just look into a PS3 or Wii. I still can't believe they created such a crummy system with some really good games.