F.E.A.R. 3 - Slide kicks and dead pricks

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Trenner Dios, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Game is on sale for $39.99 at Gamestop until 7/17. I traded in DOTM towards it, and with my 10% membership trade-in bonus, AND the additional 40% trade in bonus deal they're running this month, I was able to buy it for just $7.34. Well worth it.

I haven't had a chance to play the multiplayer yet, but I have to say that the game is worth a go just for the co-op campaign. Since the two co-op characters play very differently, you'll want to play through at least twice, perhaps more if you want to max out each character's level. Point man is your straight forward shooter, while Fettel uses psychic and telekinetic abilities, and can possess enemies. Both can be leveled up to increase their abilities/health/ammo/slowmo/possess time.

I love games where they can take vanillish weapons like pistol, shotgun, sub-machine gun, etc., and still make them feel unique and satisfying to use. The violence definitely helps make the kills more awesome, but all the weapons for the most part are fun to use. Adding in stuff like slide kicks, jump kicks, and slo-mo only heightens the experience, even if they aren't terribly original. I haven't actually used Fettel yet, but both people that I played co-op with really enjoyed him, and the fact that you can still use slow motion when playing with a friend is a bonus. Did I mention you can play co-op in split-screen?

While the game is definitely a shooter at heart, and not particularly scary, it definitely has a very dark and creepy atmosphere to it overall, and definitely elicits some anxiety and jump scares when you are playing by yourself. The level design is exceptional, in that the places that you go through feel real, and not just like the same hallways over and over. The prison and airport levels were the only ones that got a bit repetitive to me. Each level also gives you plenty of places to explore, sometimes multiples paths to take, and they give you reason to do so. Ammo, weapons, dead bodies that can be turned into EXP can all be found if you look in the right places, as well as the elusive Alma doll hidden in each level. Co-op was very helpful for finding as much hidden stuff as possible.

Looking forward to the unique multiplayer modes like "F**KING RUN!*, and will give more feedback once I've played those and have given Fettel a try in the campaign. My only real complaint so far was the obligatory, unnecessary, and fairly lame BIG BOSS BATTLE at the end. Thankfully the actual ending was done well. It can also change in co-op, depending on which of you has the higher score at the end, which was a nice touch. I don't know if I can give the game a 10/10, as that just seems too high, but I'm really having a blast with it so far and have no real complaints other than the stupid final boss.

Oh, and also, MECHS are always welcome.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You people are learning to title threads properly, it makes me so proud :cry 

3. Trenner Dios

I did it just for you.

4. McBradders

<3

5. McBradders

So is it as good as F.E.A.R 2?

I fucking LOVED 2.

6. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

I found it about on par with 2. They'll never recapture the feel of the first FEAR, but I still greatly enjoyed 2 and 3.

7. McBradders

You're still here :bowdown: 

8. Trenner Dios

Unfortunately I never played the first two, just the demo for F.E.A.R. 2. That scared the crap out of me, so I stayed away. One of my buddies that played the F.E.A.R. 3 campaign with me said he liked it better than 2, but not as much as 1 because he felt that the 1st one was the scariest. He often likes or hates games based on trivial issues though, so I'm not sure. Obviously I personally don't know how the controls or fun factor compare.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Pussy.