Eyewear Afficionados

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    With Oakley producing the HDO-3D Gascan for the DOTM movie, I've come to realize that I've become somewhat addicted to eyewear.

Anyone else have an affection for eyewear?

I started out long ago with a pair of black Ray Ban Wayfarers. You know, the whole Risky Business fad.

After a long drought of no sunglasses, I bought a pair of silver Killer Loop Rumble's which has long since been discontinued.

Here's what I have now:

Oakley X-Metal Juliet with Plasma frame and Emerald Iridium lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley X-Metal Juliet with Polished frame and Fire Iridium Polarized lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley X-Metal XX with TiO2 frame and Black Iridium lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley X-Metal XX with 24K frame and 24K Gold Iridium lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley X-Metal X-Squared with X-Metal frame and Ruby Iridium lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley X-Metal Romeo 2.0 with Carbon frame and Black Iridium lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley X-Metal Penny with Titanium frame and Ice Iridium lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley X-Metal Mars Crater with X-Metal frame and Black Iridium lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley Square Whisker with Pewter frame and Emerald Iridium Polarized lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley C-Wire with Lead frame and Ice Iridium Polarized lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley Splinter with Matte Black/Midnight frame and Warm Grey lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley RAZRWire with Mercury frame and Light Grey lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley Square Wire with Silver frame and Ice Iridium lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley HDO-3D Gascan Transformers Limited Edition:

[​IMG]

Oakley Fuel Cell with Custom frame and Ruby Iridium lenses:

[​IMG]

Oakley Antix Ernesto Fonseca Edition frame with Black Iridium lens:

[​IMG]

Oakley Custom Flak Jacket with Grey Smoke frame, Black Iridium Polarized lenses, Chrome/Black icon, and Black earsocks:

[​IMG]

Oakley Crowbar JP Auclair Tokyo Subway Edition frame with Persimmon lenses:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have anything that high end, but since I've pretty much gotta wear sun glasses whenever I'm outside during the day (especially when driving) for the sake of being able to see, I'm still very particular about what I have. It's actually pretty funny because I was able to find a few pairs at some dollar store that I really liked, and I've only broken one of the 4 pairs in the last 5 or so years.

3. Razerwire

News Credits:
    My wife refuses to buy expensive sunglasses because she always loses or breaks them. :lol 

I did buy her a custom pair of Oakley Half Jackets for one of her birthdays though. She wears them when she rides her bike to the Metro to go to work.

I've been meaning to buy a casual pair of non-metal frames. The HDO-3D Gascan would've been PERFECT if the 3D lenses could be swapped out but Oakley claims the lenses are different from the regular Gascans. :( 

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guess they know what's best, hah.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I swear by oakleys because of how durable and scratch resistant they are. but I always make sure to buy cheap stuff for my wife because she's just like Viv--she can't keep something nice to save her life.

6. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got myself a new pair of Oakleys when I was over in the US for Botcon.
    Picked up a pair of polarised Tightropes with dark frames and Ice Iridium lenses: Oakley Polarized TIGHTROPE Sunglasses available at the online Oakley store (that style but different coloured)

The last pair I had I got when I went to Florida in 97, which were original E-Wires. The guy in the shop was surprised they looked so good for being 14 year old sunglasses.

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah my Square Wire 2.0 frame and ear socks are in near pristine condition. If it weren't for the scratched lenses it'd look like it was fresh out of the box.

I have never owned a pair of non-metal Oakleys though because of my fear that they wouldn't last as long. I was trying on a pair of Gascans yesterday and was wondering how long the hinges would last before they became floppy.

I think Oakley's tune up program would replace them if they're not able to repair it. The tune up program costs $65 and replaces any parts that need repairing. That's what's going on with my X-Metal Juliet. I stripped the screw heads on the hinges so I sent them in. They said they'd repair/replace any other parts that need be as well.

My only concern is that if I get a pair of those limited edition TF Gascans will they have replacement parts for it down the road? If they don't I probably shouldn't use them as everyday sunglasses if I decide to swap out the lenses.

8. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Not sure if they still do but when I was deployed the U.S. Military issued Oakleys (The M-Frames) and if I remember right they were not metal. I didn't hear of anyone having any issues with them breaking.

Chuck

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yup. I believe the US Military still issues the SI M-Frame. It is a plastic frame, I think, although I'm unsure if they have hinges. Do you recall if they did? I think the SI M-Frame 2.0 has hinges but not the regular SI M-Frame. The M-Frame for regular public purchase is a solid unhinged frame.

Did you get to keep yours or did you have to turn them in after your deployment was over? The SI M-Frames aren't available to the public unless you are active or retired military/government so if you got to keep them that'd be awesome.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll need Lasik before I can get into most of this, but I do need a good set of goggles for my winter bike riding. Problem is the short-ass daylight hours at this latitude. Every set of goggles I try has way too much tint for after-dark use.

Any ideas?

11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I'd suggest going to a store that specializes in what you're looking for and trying on the different types of lenses. At Oakley stores you can pretty much build your own set.

Have you tried photochromic polarized lenses? They're supposed to offer better visuals in different types of light atmospheres.

I had bought a pair of polarized sunglasses and remembering I could wear them in darker settings and it seemed to amplify ambient light in the darkness. I returned them because they made the tint on my car windows look like a bad acid trip. :lolol 

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  12. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll try an Oakley store, I think there's one at the Mall of America.

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah see if they have any photochromic polarized lenses for you to try. The stores are usually pretty good about having a variety of option for you to try on. The one thing most stores I've been to seek to lack is Asian fit on all styles. Those usually have to be ordered online. The custom pair of Half Jackets I bought for my wife were Asian fit and had to be bought online.

Luckily I don't require Asian fit glasses so I can just go to the store and try on any pair.

14. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I didn't get those issued to me because I wear regular glasses and they issued some other dumb looking SGs. Actually, after looking at the Oakley website I did have them issued with an extra lense. They were hinged and came with a silk (Maybe some other fabric) carrying pouch.
    I did not have to return them after the deployment but when I ETS'd was told I needed to return them. I am not sure if I found them or not so I might have them laying around still.
    The military issued another pair from a different brand when I deployed but I can't remember the brand - I thought those looked cooler and wanted those but they wouldn't give them to me. Jerks.

Chuck

15. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I'm a Serengeti girl myself, my latest pair being the Serengeti 7155 Polarmax Rose/Marble. I wanted a polarized lens but I did not like the Maui Jims and so the Love for Serengeti was born.

Serengeti | Technology

16. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Oooh. I like some of those frames. Never tried on a pair of Serengetis before. Might have to give them a try.

17. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Yeah Serengetis are also photochromatic as well, so they work great with my contacts.

18. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    for a few months after I got my first pair of polarized lenses, I kept walking around flipping my head at a 90 degree angle to make windows change color.

wife=embarrassed.

20. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter