Eye of Judgment review.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tigran, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Okay, so I finally got the Eye of Judgment tonight. I've been looking forward to it, so I brought in my PS3 to work and hooked it up before I had to start work, and was going to play on lunch time.

And if anyone feels this should be in the other thread, please move it.

So lets get started.

First off, there is no single player story mode. Sorry. You play against the computer single player. Thats it. I've heard some people complain about the computer being to hard, but on beginner at least, I don't believe that's true. I cannot judge how much the computer cheats, as I have not played another player to see how much they dodge or anything like that yet.

The game play is pretty simple, every turn you get two mana. You can use this mana to attack, turn a creature or summon a creature. If the creature is on the same element, it often gets a 2 health bonus, if it's opposing, two health penalty, if nuteral... nothing.

How you use this is up to you and placing cards in the wrong spaces can be to your advantage. For example "Elven Berserker Maiden" is a Woods/Grass affinity, if you place her on dessert/rock, she loses 2 HP. But her effect means that if she is down to 1 HP, she gets a 3 attack and the possibility to doge.

So by playing your positions right, you can gain the upper hand even if taking damage.

To win the game, it's not always about killing your opponents, though it does help, it's about gaining control of the field. First person to take 5 spots wins the game. So in a way it's a very perverted version of tick tak toe, only not in a row.

I've had no problem with card recognition, except not knowing off hand that the bars on the top and bottom where where the eye figured out what card it was, so when holding the cards, I often killed the detection.

Besides your monster and magic cards you also have four "Action" cards. One for "Action" such as attack or whatever, "Cancel" to cancel your last move, "Status" to see how your monster is doing, or "End turn".

The only real problems i have is A) There is no interactive tutorial. You either watch a really bad film, or you jump into the game and learn as you go. I of course prefer the jump in approach.

The other problem, B) is that it is obvious they don't expect you to move the camera around ever again after getting the mat just right. Maybe it's just me.. just seems a bit presumptuous on Sony's part.

I haven't played on line yet, but I can say that so far it's been worth the money and I hope to get some more theme decks soon, and hope to play some people from here on line.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sweet Tig, thanks for the review. It sounds fun. Obviously, I with there was a single-player storymode, but even if I can't find anyone online, having the computer to play against still sounds like a decent alternative.

So did you mess around and move the cards around and watch the monsters track the motion of the card? How do you rate the technology itself?

3. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Yes I did play around with the card motion. The problem there is holding the cards so that the eye can keep track of it. Right now they arn't very smooth with following the cards a lot of time. A bit of lag, and I haven't found a way to get a good zoom on all the monsters yet.

I'd rate the tech a good 7 or 8, where as compared to the Wii-mote in Zelda and Metroid Prime 3 I'd rate a 9-10.

It's pretty good, some minor flaws, but a few patches or updates and I think these flaws can be take care off, and because quiet frankly, it's a rather big undertaking, I'll forgive it's minor flaws.

4. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i have to agree that this game is awsome but as to the camera mess with the settings a bit in options. sometimes your lights can subvert your camera. so try and dim the light a bit. my major problem is that i cant find ne where that sells the boosters and theme decks around me i know a place online thats near me but id rather get em myself. tig send me a friend invite name is the same as here we will play some time. and windcharger it is fun u should get it.

5. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Well I've been playing at the office latly.. So no Internet. But I'll send you an Invite Monday.

As for the boosters, check Target if you have one around you. They should have some. That's where I got mine.

6. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am so on the fence right now. I think its because of the lack of one player and the ability to photocopy your cards (Kotaku even had a tutorial on it.) Just seems like a lot of the fun will be sucked out pretty soon. Someone convince me to get this. LOL

7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

While I refuse to do it.. I don't think Photocopying will be as much of a problem as people insist. A lot of the game is position and thinking ahead. Someone with just a strong deck who only has strong cards will still lose easily to a starter deck.

8. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Added... and playing now.

9. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ya the whole copying card thing is no big deal because of the rule set around the game it the cards people would really want to copy have heavy mana costs and are 1 per decks and race so u cant have all the gods in one deck or all the phantoms. oh btw tigran i went to eb they had like 3 boxes of bossters ive goteen fifty so far plus 2 structure decks got almost every ur and all commons only ur im missing is the wood hero edin the persecuted the phantoms arnt that great i mean they are called betrayers cause they do more dmg to the race they belong too so say ur going up against a water deck siam would be the phantom ud want in ur fire deck and vice versa but let me tell you pulling the phantoms is like heart stopping then u profile em and ur like well that kinda sucks a bit. they are all 3 mana cost 2 activate and do like dble damage to thier race . and online copying doesnt help u either u still have to be lucky enought for the com to pull em for you so really it only hurts the selling of the cards and beleive me with the money i spent already could fund the next expansion.

10. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Hehe.. I don't have that much money for cards.. So my decks are going to suck for a bit ;) .

I played online today for the first time. 3 losses in a row.

11. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I am starting to consider this for my next game run but I wanted to know. Of those that bought this do you still recommend it after a couple of weeks having it? Is it still fun and are there plenty of opponents online? Thanks guys.

12. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

THere are plenty of opponents Online. And I still love it. Just having a hard time finding the cards sometimes.

13. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally got it! I gotta say it's all pretty darn neat.

14. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I'll have to play you online sometime.