Customs: Extremely Disappointed/Combiners

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by plowking, Feb 15, 2009.

1. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow....I must say that I am extremely disappointed in Hasbro's version of Devastator.

I mean, come on....really Hasbro?....with todays tech and all that jazz, that's the best you can come up with?!....and you expect me to fork over $100 for that?....and then more if I want individual modes?!!

Apparently, they didn't venture into Radicons enough before taking on Devs....

If they wanted to know how to make a Combiner, and the folks that did it 25 years ago were no longer around, they should have stopped by, and checked out some custom galleries or something....really!!

I here by salute all of you that have went about and made your own Combiner....if any of you were even thinking after seeing the new movie Devs that your combiner looked way better than that?...you were 100% right.

I know some of you guys have caught some flack about your combiners, and we won't go into that, but from this point on, when I see or here stuff like that again, I'll just point them to Hasbro's version....and that will be enough said.

Here a million dollar company, with all kinds of tools and resources available, cant get it right. But my fellow Radicon brethren, with at most times, simple hand tools, and imagination, rock 'em every time.

Keep showing them how it's supposed to be done Radicons....maybe one day, they will catch on.

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

3. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    EPIC :lol  :bay 

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I see potential with Hasbro's Devastator. I think I can make it a bit more appealing. I plan to also take an "extra" one and give each Constructicon a robot form, then sell THAT on ebay.

It is a shame though, if I had a million dollar manufacturing plant and unlimited steel casting mold, as a Hasbro designer, I would have given fans a Devastator to be REALLLY excited about.

5. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    IMO i think the Movie Devy looks pretty cool, but i agree with you guys, it could have been done a little better.
    and F_R cant wait too see that get done :D 
    but for me its just going 2 be a G1 Repaint lol and maybe a new head :p 
    but still it really could have been worked out better

6. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Custom combiners might look good combined, but they need tons of connectors and parts that just sit there when components are separated and that is a massive turn-off.

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
  8. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is exactly how I feel. Not that we are tooting our own horn. But just like you said some radicons are making Dev out of things that had no intention of going together with bare hands and a few tools and material that you can get Menards and TOYS R US. Yet they (Hasbro) couldn't have made a combining one?

I love Hasbro and still will continue to support them by purchasing a few figures in the movie line and maybe even a Movies Devastator after the it goes on clearance. But I doubt I won't be heavily purchasing anything until the classics line comes back if at all. Like they keep saying.:confused: 

And spit take water back into my cup.:lol 

If anyone could do it's going to be you. And If I ever won the lottery you'd be getting a grant to start up a production company.

9. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Looks a bit goofy with the car shoes... not bad, but no thanks. And all the combiners using Primus' arms and Unicron's lower torso/upper legs are pretty meh. They make for good statues but poor toys.

10. plowking

News Credits:
    But by your same reasoning, this new Devastator falls under that same categorization...

If I have movie Devs, and I want to separate him into individual bot modes, that he is supposed to have, I will have to break out the "other set" of Constructicons to do so....

Hasbro's new Devs isn't a combiner by definition at all....its just in theory.

And as far as what fellow Radicons have come up with, and you not liking them, that's totally fine....to each his own....but in that same sense, can I take it that you don't like any of the official Hasbro combiners either?....except of course this new Devs....

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    You might think so, but in my experience, the general fan would prefer one of these "goofy" or "meh" Radicon gestalts over Hasbro's (million dollar corporation) idea of a gestalt. Yeah, the extra parts are "extra" but the ones us Radicons create crush Hasbro's tenfold.

Give me 5% of the tools Hasbro's designers have access to, and I would give you a Devastator both movie accurate and fan approved in less than a week.

Also, didn't realize until recently that there would be individual Deluxes of the Constructicons...very excited about this, and the challenge of getting those to combine into a better Devastator,

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  12. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    I don't mind what they have come up with but I still am going to reserve judgment once I see it in person and whatnot.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd love to hear Hasbro's reasoning behind all of this.

14. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I like the 3 Energon combiners (although Superion's weak waist connector is a huge letdown). I like the Landfill mold in Devastator colors too.

As I've already stated in a different thread, I see the new Devastator as an Hexacon : 6 vehicles to make 1 robot. Like a Duocon, but with more vehicles involved. That said, I'm used to see non-Transformers combiners where individual components don't have a robot mode (Voltes V, Combattler V, Gunbuster, Ideon, Super Sentai, etc.), so that's probably why I can accept this new Devastator more easily.

15. plowking

News Credits:
    Ahh...o.k....I got you now. And that's cool....like I said to each his own.

I guess I just expected more from them is all, I mean this was their chance to make a cool, updated version of Devs, and for me, they totally dropped the ball.

16. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Michael Bay said, "This is Devestator. Like it." And Hasbro stood at attention and said, "Yes sir. Anything you want."

17. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, and also partsforming. On the same tocken (sp?), I'm disappointed in the Movie Dev "Voltron" style combining too. I'm really looking forward to Sculpbot's Computron and Anemis' Superion. Those 2 so far are the only one's I've seen to have potential to be the "perfect" combiners (by perfect I don't mean to have NO extra connectors but very limited and still look good though no extra connectors would truly be perfect). Sculpbot for what he's shown so far being able to incorporate the connector parts into the bots and Anemis, well, for being the best custom engineer out there.

As for why Hasbro/Takara-tomy decided to do "Voltron" style Dev, I don't know. I'd like to hear their reasoning. However, I really doubt it's because they don't have the engineering know-how to get it done correctly. Just because a billion dollar company has seemingly unlimited resources, they aren't without their limits (mainly cost versus return on investment). We have seen engineering marvels like the MPs and crap like some of the Cybertron stuff. If Hasbro/Tak wanted to put their minds and resources in to it they could make a good combiner. Some of you guys think you are better engineers and/or builders than the experts they have at Takara who have been highly trained and been doing this stuff for many many years. No, they are NOT limited in their expertise as some of you may suggest. They are more likely limited by their bottom line.

18. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "fan" approved perhaps, but not kids approved which is the target audience for Hasbro on these mainline toys.

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    And some of us Radicons have been doing it longer than the guys at hasbro, and with much more limited resources. We all know the voltron style Devastator is/was a waste of hasbro's money. Easily, hasbro could have cut that figure/set out of production/existance, and made the deluxe transformable ones combine to form Devastator.

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    why not? If it's cool enough for us "big kids" usually the little kids will love it.