Extreme shipping overcharge !

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by SureShot90, Dec 17, 2008.

1. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Ok I bought this figure - I wasn't sure if it was the big or the small Android Krang so I took the chance.
    After the seller sent me the invoice I assumed it was the large Android Krang due to the shipping costs.

"160301894277 TEENAGE NINJA TURTLE KNANG 1 US $5.50

Subtotal: US $5.50
    Shipping and handling via Standard Int'l Flat Rate Shipping:
    US $27.00

Total: US $32.50

ok i think i got it wright now 5.50 +5.00 shipping and handling it cost 2.00 to send in us so i charge you only 3.00 then 24.00 flat rate envalope international shipping 24.00 =32.50 thanks again

Please email me at anthonycoll0610@comcast.net if you have any questions.
    "

Prior to all this it took him about 3 days to find out what the shipping costs would be ! First he commented something about $68, then $48 and then $32.5.

Today I got the figure, okay it was the small figure, I'm fine with that... BUT WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE SHIPPING COSTS !.
    [​IMG]

I paid freaking $32.50 in shipping costs for getting this little piece of crap shipped for just $3.80 !
    I'm so OUTRAGED... I've never been screwed so much before.
    What can I do ? can I drag him through a paypal claim ?.
    I've just written to him demanding an answer ! if shipping was less he could at least have told me and make a refund !.
    I'm so pissed!

2. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    holy crap! if it was just a dollar or two off I would've let it pass, put almost $30?! damn... You got screwed over badly. File a complaint ASAP!

3. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    Always ask a shipping quote prior to bidding. I've also had lots of overcharging shipments.
    eBay should (and I think is going to) do something about those bad sellers.

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Paypal doesn't do anything for excessive shipping claims. If you file one, it will automatically close with a message to the effect of "We don't care about shipping disputes. Yours truly, Paypal".

If you were to enter any other claim type, be prepared to ship the figure back using tracking. Without it you could lose your money and the figure if the seller claims he never received it.

5. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    You oughta have confirmed with him what size it was first, and consider it carefully. Ask how much the shipping would cost too...

Well, sucks to be ya. That's one of the reasons I dont use eBay.

6. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    heh. i have one of those somewhere. need to find my box of old tmnt i bought and sell them off.

7. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As the buyer, the most you can do is hit him with negative feedback on eBay.

Then take it as a lesson learned for future international purchases. One can always verify the cost of shipping by utilizing that countries postal website to estimate postage costs.

8. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    File a claim; ship him 5.50 for the action and 3.80 for the shipping. Put it in a track able envelope.

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Two years ago, I've read somewhere that Ebay was going to start cracking down on the overcharge shipping.

10. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    wow that is a lot! Sorry to hear you got fleeced :-(

11. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I would have assumed people would have the honesty to do make the correct shipping estimates. Also I can't predict the shipping costs because from what I've learned through years of eBaying is that shipping costs are different from region to region in the US.
    I guess I should stop doing international purchases... this month I have won 3 claims on american sellers that never shipped nor supplied tracking info as promised.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    a seller can charge whatever they want on an item. has nothing to do with paypal or ebay. Typically, a selller would have said "you should have read the auction" or "you should have asked"

if anything, you'd refuse to pay the high shipping, then they'd slam you with "did not pay"

gotta love ebay....

I've bought unicrons domestically, some shipped for $5.00, and some for $25.00
    You need to realize, some of these sellers have to make a huge effort and/or drive far to get to a post office.

There's not much you can do with international shipping either.
    I sent a small 3x4x3 box to spain yesterday with the cheapest rate being $28.00
    From what I recall, shipping priority international starts at $21.50

So, in conclusion - confirm the shipping price BEFORE bidding.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  13. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    So you won claims were sellers never supplied tracking but you got the items?

14. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've reported items where shipping was just unreal. Tho tbh im not sure they do more than the typical "thank you" response. I need to start keeping track of the items.

I had 2 paypal disputes where i refused to pay for the item for the shipping. One was negotiated down the other we agreed to not complete it. I wonder where paypal would have sided. hmm.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    well, veteran sellers have told me it's the golden rule that when you click "bid" or "buy now" you're agreeing to everything written on the auction, even if the shipping charge isn't clear. You can always send a note to the seller before agreeing to buy it.

16. Pavol Palat

Pavol Palat Palatinus

News Credits:
    when I import stuff to Slovakia, I always ask for a shipping quote and a really super precise one. I learned this because some bad stuff happened to me before, such as>
    1. seller says "worldwide shipping is flat X USD". After I hit <BIN> I receive an invoice with X+5 USD. It's not horribly overpriced, but makes one angry.
    2. seller says "shipping to SVK will be about 15 USD". After I get a movie Robovision prime for a few bucks, S&H on invoice is 23 USD. COnsidering the low final bid I accepted, but still...
    3. seller says "very heavy item, shipping to your country will be 30.00 GBP". I won the lot for a good price, and thought the shipping to have tracking/insurance/signed for delivery - then waited ONE MONTH for the package to arrive from GB to SVK (within EU it takes usually less than a week) and when I got it I noticed it was ordinary royal mail and "shipping paid 8.41 GBP". That really pissed me off, but I could not do anything about it.

17. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Something is not right about the sticker on that package. I just looked up International Priority Shipping from the U.S. to Denmark and it IS $27.00. Why there is only a $3.80 sticker on that package is beyond my scope. I'm kinda puzzled that no one on this board that has shipped often internationally has piped up with any information, but this thread is still "young", I guess.

Yeh, I can understand how you feel scammed, but there's something missing here and I'd suggest finding that out before you begin any punitive process against the seller.

And before everyone continues to bash on the seller, notice the seller has also made a "newbie" mistake of allowing an international buyer where his auction only claims he sells domestically. Also IMHO, this auction isn't very "attractive" - only one kinda crappy picture and a very short, virtually non-descriptive auction text - so some of the burden probably should be placed on the buyer who takes a chance bidding on such a poorly done auction.

18. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've got to unfortunately agree with this. If the shipping charge is laid out and you agree to buy it, you have agreed to pay it. Granted, you would hope that the seller is honest enough not to up the price THAT much.

I'd just give him/her a negative or 0 star rating on the shipping charge and post a comment about the shipping charge in the feedback.

This is why I always get a shipping quote before bidding. If I feel the charge is insane, I will walk away from the auction.

19. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    INCOMING RANT

There is no way in hell that package got to you for only $3.80. Something is amiss. Maybe an additional cost he had to pay was not reflected on that sticker on the envelope. I don't know man. And, having it get there in 6 days is even more of a shocker. I've had packages take longer then that to get across the U.S. without crossing any international waters/borders.

As for complaining about it. If you went ahead and PAID it. You really have nothing to complain about. What you should have done is looked up the cost yourself, and then informed the seller of the low priced method you found. Also take into account that you won an item that is CLEARLY marked as shipping to only the United States. By bidding on it, you are risking this situation since the seller may not have any experience sending internationally. Judging from his 34 feedback score, with a 97.2% mind you, you are also taking another risk.

If anything, that extra money you paid should just be considered a tip for putting up with a bidder that caused this kind of trouble. The dude could have just dropped it in the mail and sent it off to someone in Colorado with no worries if all the bidders had paid attention to the auction listing. I always get grumpy when international bidders win my auctions without having said something before hand. Damn straight I'm not gonna give a crap if they have to pay out the nose to get the item. The shipping cost sure as heck ain't comin' out of my pocket. Not a cent.

RANT OVER

Long story short: You should have communicated more with the seller. Before you bid, and after you won. I've had plenty of frustrating situations get ironed out really nicely by just shooting emails back and fourth... sometimes at the same speed as an IM conversation. Don't assume everyone on Ebay is out to screw people over. The majority of them want to have things go as smoothly as possible.

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    ^ amen to that.

Gotta realize, someone might need to drive 20 miles to the nearest post office too (gas prices). Then there's packaging costs, bag/tape/etc.