Explosion at Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moriarty, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    A massive explosion has struck a Japanese nuclear power plant after Friday's devastating earthquake. (From BBC News.)

My hopes and thoughts are with this area of the world today. First an earthquake, then a tsunami, now this.

EDIT: According to Russia Today, the possible meltdown could be worse than that which occurred at Chernobyl in 1986.

UPDATE (from Russia Today):
    1) The radiation levels are so severe that if a person is exposed for 1 hour, it is the same as getting 1 years' worth of poisoning.
    2) Whilst they are not sure if the explosion occurred within the plant, it is being reported that the reactor roof has collapsed.
    3) Russia is on stand-by to assist Japan.
    4) Citizens in the area have been advised to stay in their homes to minimise radiation exposure.

2. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I had been praying that this would not happen...very sad news indeed.

3. Christian Prime

Christian Prime SF Ibuki & Makoto Fanboy!

Not good at all! :(  Very scary to see something like that happen.

4. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Yeah I just caught that earlier. As I said in the other thread, these people need a break already. This is beyond terrible.

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Oh f*ck.

6. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I'm beginning to think the Mayans got the wrong year.

7. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Me too. Very scary..

8. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    In a 60's documentary by rod serling (I think) the date was 12/21/11... but, that was in context of "they return." not "we go boom."

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Can we PLEASE stop with the retarded apocalyptic doomsaying? The impending end of the world has been frequently predicted ever since 2800 BC. Guess what, we're still here.

Ten Notable Apocalypses That (Obviously) Didn
    A Brief History of the Apocalypse

The 1906 San Francisco earthquake didn't end the world. Neither did Chernobyl.

Yes, this situation is friggin' awful for Japan, but all this "OMG the end is nigh" bullshit doesn't help anyone.

10. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I don't believe in the Mayan myth that the world will end in 2012. I was just commenting on the calamitous year 2011 has been so far.

11. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Thankfully these nuclear reactors are hugely overdesigned, so they've been able to limit the calamity, but this could potentially be a big cleanup job, especially if the reactor itself melts down. Won't necessarily contaminate the area (that shunt of slightly radioactive steam is hopefully the worst that will happen), but the melted reactor could be an extremely long and dangerous repair and salvage effort.

I suppose this particular explosion is the potential risk in using pressurized/vacuumsd containment vessels around the reactor to prevent escape of radioactive material.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  13. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Thank god. The actual reactor isn't harmed, only the outer wall. Still, it's rather scary to think what would happen.

And to you guys thinking the 2012 crap is going to happen...STOP AND THINK. Humanity's been wrong many times about when the world will end. I think the mods should make a new rule just for this one so I don't have to see any more posts saying "ZOMG END OF DA WURLD!"

Humanity's been wrong before about certain dates, and we'll be wrong again.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Might be time to reconsider calls for the expansion of nuclear power, but I expect comparisons with Chernobyl will prove to be sensationalism.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they were kidding.

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Chernobyl was a confluence of ignorance, complacency, and apathy into a major contaminative disaster that poisoned hundreds of square kilometers. This was more like a fart with higher than background radiation. Unless the reactor completely melts down (and even so, only if the reactor container is breached), the radiation from this reactor should be more or less safely contained. Makes one hell of a cleanup job afterwards though.

As for the expansion of nuclear power, nuclear power is the most feasible source for the Japanese, and arguably for much of the rest of the industrialized world. Yes, there are hazards, but the fact that this power plant has withstood the 4th most powerful earthquake in recorded history and has still been kept from being a major public hazard (so far and hopefully in the long term as well) is a testament to the safety engineering that goes into these facilities.

16. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Well said. It's undoubtedly a bad situation but all the doom mongering is pathetic. Ask an actual Mayan about 2012 and they'll laugh in your face.

That whole scenario has been constructed by religious nutjobs who'll twist anything to fit their views just so they can sell you a book or a DVD on the subject............praise the profits.

The Japanese are a tough bunch, they came back from having 2 cities nuked, so with time and support from the international community they'll come through this.

17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

These folks need a break. I can't imagine the terror that might consume an individual in this situation. Especially of caring for a family throughout course of these events.

18. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    This is what gets me. Japan survived nuclear devastation more than six decades ago, yet they're using the same type of energy that wiped two of their cities off the face of the earth to power their country. Am I the only one who finds that a bit ironic?

19. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I suppose they thought they'd be OK because there's a difference between controlling the power in a processing plant and having it dropped on you.

( And please, nobody start with the whole rights and wrongs over Hiroshima & Nagasaki, I was just trying to put things into some kind of perspective )

20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Considering its probably not even the same form of radioactive material, and considering it's the most attractive option available to them, I can't say its all that ironic.

The important thing to remember as well is that although Japan has the distinction of being the only country nuked as a combat action, at the same time as that much of the rest of the country was getting levelled by conventional means.

I think what's bothering me most about this unfortunate situation is that the amount of specialized equipment and manpower that has to be going into keeping things from escalating must be having an effect on relief efforts in the surrounding area, which is sadly necessary, but still somewhat tragic.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011