explanation of all the different types of transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ny2125, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ny2125

ny2125 Member

i am from the old school generation 1 up until the movie in 1986. then i see all these other transformers toys like beast wars, energon, cybertron, etc. i would like to start collecting again but want to collect towards the series that is closest to generation 1. which would that be? any suggestions to where to buy some of these toys or other ideas would be great. i would like to get back into the transformers and am kind of confused w/all the information. thanks!

2. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Well there's your generation 2 toys that I think were the closest things to G1 released in America. Japanesee toy wise they had an extended Headmasters series and Transformers Victory, my knowlage on those two isn't to good though. So toys from that would probably be closer to G1. Also there are the less than steller post Movie toys. Other than those, your best bet is collecting G1, G2, and BW and possibly the Japan only series toys.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Alternators are updated G1 characters that are officially licensed by car companies. THough they are a tad on the expensive side now.

Classics is G1 updated again, but at a much more affordable price range.

All the toys you mentioned can be bought on ebay or online toy stores (see sponsors on the left of the screen).

4. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

In terms of toys, none of them are really "G1-esque" since construction, articulation, etc., has greatly improved. However, story wise, your best bet would be Beast Wars and the Classics toyline. Beast Wars tied in with G1 towards the end of the series. And Classics are a reenvisioning of the G1 characters.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Classics would probably be your best bet. Especially since it's going to be continuing next fall, and then on from there.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Classics and Cybertron are very close to Generation 1 in my opinion. Classics was a line based around the premise of updating the orginal toys so that would be a great start. You might find a few in stores still, but otherwise your best bet would be online, such as Big Bad Toy Store, or of course Ebay.

Be warned, the Botcon set, Games of Deception, is a part of the Classics lineup, and you will have to pay a hefty price to get that. But it is the home to the other three jets as well as Dreadwind.

Cybertron is not as intentionally patterned after the original, but the selection of vehicle styles and characters is very much like Generation 1 and many of them fit in with the Classics line. Others are just plain cool. There are also some in the Energon line who are decent - the combiners from that series, for instance, are very close to the originals in their concept.

7. rid

rid Well-Known Member

I say Classics. I'm a G1 fan and I think Classics is what comes closest to G1.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if you want to see what each series has to offer, head to seibertron.com, click "toys" at the top, and select a series on the left side of the menu that you want to see more of.

9. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Alternators are G1 characters in super detailed and posable toys with real life, accurate licensed car alt modes.

Titaniums are a line of 6" transformers with a mix of die-cast metal and plastic much like the G1 toys. Selection wise, it's a mix of numerous different transformers universes, but they do have some G1 based and accurate figures.

Classics is G1 redone with modern toy making techniques and technology. Everything about it is G1 updated...except the two pack Megatron which is based on G2. This would be the best option as the toys are the cheapest, most durable, easiest to find choice of the three series I mentioned as well as the fact as it's the only one that will be actively continued over the next year or possibly more. If you want to collect 'new' G1 stuff, Classics is the ones to get.

10. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

i'd go for the classics. they're an updated version of g1. you can still buy some at stores (tru) and on ebay, and with releases (universe?) again next year, the line will continue. its a good starting point. just be prepared to spend on the limited releases though.

11. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I'm a G1 fan, too, and think you should go Classics and Alternators, tho if you haven't picked up the Season 3 G1 characters or G2, you might be more comfortable starting there.

But really, you should just pick up what appeals to you from whatever line. Do you have a favorite character, like say Starscream for example? Then collect him from each line. It would also be a good idea to watch the shows first, say at one of the bittorrent sites or places like TFCog.net for the older Japanese stuff - that could help you decide if you want to collect a line or not, as well as help you get to know much of the new information. Be aware that most of the toys, tho, you'll have to buy from eBay or other collectors unless they're lines put out in the last year or two.

--Moony

12. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I'm echoing the sentiments of the other G1 fans. I collect only G1 and G1 inspired/related (Masterpiece, Classics, and Titaniums). However, I did make exception for some of the Energon combiners because they really do have a G1 type theme to them.

I won't repeat to start with Classics, it's been said enough. However, IMHO, Beast Wars or Beast Machines aren't even close to any G1 (except for Dinobot) so I can't recommend them.

There are G1 reissues that started coming out years ago - they are rising in price so look around ebay and some of the stores on the left side of the page. They were released by Toys R Us in the states and Takara ("book style") and e-hobby (exclusives and repaints) in Japan. They are the G1 toys - plain and simple. Same molds, same designs, and (in some cases) better quality (ie: Soundwave). There are very slight differences between the reissues and the originals but not enough that the layman could tell the difference. You'll want to hunt for both the TRU and book styles because different toys were released in each line. The e-hobby releases are higher in price since they were issued in limited numbers and were intially exclusive to Japan conventions. Combine all lines and you can have a decent 40-50 piece G1 collection. Sadly these probably won't continue to be released anytime in the forseeable future - get them now while you can since prices will probably continue to go up. EDIT: As if this post isn't long enough already...lol. There are four new reissues coming called Encore - Prime, Megatron, Soundwave, and Starscream. They are Japan only reissues but you can find them on all of the store sites. Just like the TRU and book reissues they are G1s with very slight differences. Good start for you since they are just now coming out.

Titaniums come in two sizes, 3 and 6 inch - most of the line, for now anyway, have been G1s. The 3 inch ones don't transform but they are cool little statues to have. The six inch ones do transform and also display well. However, they've been out for a while so finding them is a hunt - although Tartget and Walmart are starting to stock them again.

Masterpiece (MP) toys are excellent - they are just bigger, more detailed versions of G1 toys. There are only a few out right now (Prime, Megatron, and Starscream...Skywarp is coming and I'm sure Thundercracker isn't far off either). However, you'll have to pay for these (the Prime 04, which includes his trailer, is going for $150-$200 range and the others are $99-$150 range). They are all excellent and well worth the price. Hasbro has a version of MP Starscream coming but from the pics I've seen it doesn't look as detailed, it's just more cartoon accurate. He's listed at $40-$50 so at least it's a bit more affordable.

Then you have the Worlds Smallest Transformers (WST), which are G1 toys that range in size from a AA battery to a cell phone. They are cool to play with but I haven't collected the whole line. Most of the dinobots (my personal favs) have been released in the WST line (the remaining will be released soon) and they are really nice, just like their G1 counterparts only smaller.

And of course the highly debated knock-offs (KO) that are out there. There's a lot of them and they are constantly being criticized by collectors and fans. A WARNING ON THESE, DON'T START WITH THEM - GET SOME KNOWLEDGE UNDER YOUR BELT FIRST OR ASK FOR HELP FROM THE MEMBERS OF THESE BOARDS. They look almost exactly like G1 toys (and are being sold that way on ebay a lot by scammers) but the quality isn't quite there. For display purposes they are great but not for actual playing. Prime, Swoop, Mirage (coming), Devastator gift box (coming), mini bots...all of them are out there and are affordable. Many Big Lots stores carry KOs but with different colors. Again, poor quality for playing but display well. Here's a good thread about KOs - http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=126551. Make sure that if you buy off ebay you look here first - don't wanna get ripped off.

Welcome (back) to the world of Transformers, good luck and enjoy collecting. Just be patient, take your time, learn to know a good deal when you see it (there is not 100% definitive price guide out there - but you'll learn from ebay what prices are good and what aren't), and above all just enjoy it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If you limit yourself only to what is like G1, you're going to end up missing out on a ton of the coolest figures the franchise has ever seen.

14. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    If you're not after a line per-se but the best toys, you could cherry pick the G1-based toys from Japan:

THS02 Optimus Prime is an excellent choice:
    http://www.uk-anime.net/coolstuff.asp?intID=17

Music Label Soundwave is another nice piece, and as others have said, Alternators (or the Japanese Binaltech versions if you want metal and better quality) are an excellent adult G1 based line. The Masterpiece toys are also great G1 accurate but very detailed figures all based on iconic G1 characters (Megatron and Prime are awesome in this line).

Some of the Titaniums, especially G1 Magnus, are also worth getting if you can find them.

If you want something cheaper and easier to get hold of, then Classics is fine, as most people have pointed out.

15. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :)  :)  The closest to the G1 line in my opinion is the Titanium Line. From that line you got G1 Magnus, G1 Rodimus, G1 Scourge, G1 Soundwave, and the rest of the other bots pretty much has a simple G1 style of transformation.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    OH. no one has said it yet, but if you really want some kick-ass G1 characters, get Masterpiece Convoy/20th Anniversary Optimus Prime and Megatron. they are the most awesome transformers ever created.

17. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:

Re-read my post, already mentioned the MP line. I agree they are some of the best toys out, especially for G1. And with all the different versions of the 20th Anniversary Prime it shouldn't be too hard for that guy to find one at a decent price.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Totally agree 100% Each line has had some stinkers, but they've also had some phenominal toys as well.

BUT if you're deadset on just sticking to whats close to G1, I'll first and foremost reccomend Classics (my personal fav TF toyline of all time) as many others have done.

If money isn't an option, there's the Masterpiece line that includes MP-01 Convoy (Optimus), MP-02 Ultra Magnus (repaint of Optimus in white), MP-03 Starscream (in colors that aren't G1 accurate...I skipped this and thankfully Hasbro is releasing an anime-colored Starscream later this year as a Wal-Mart exclusive), MP-o4 Optimus Perfect edition with the trailer, MP-05 Megatron, and the upcominf MP-06 Skywarp (repaint of Starscream).

Then Hasbro and Takara each released several Reissues on some G1 characters. Hasbro's reissues however come with missile launchers without springs and oversized missiles due to US safety laws. It didn't matter much to me, but if you want to stick close to the actual vintage G1 toys, thats something that should be mentioned.

There are a few G1 Transformers in the 6" Titanium line, but some have pretty cruddy quality control. G1 Rodimus Prime is among the best of them though, so that might be something for you to think about. G1 Soundwave is in the line though IMO stay away from it, it's one of the worst in the line.

19. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

Are the Classics posable?

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    oh yeah, they're posable. aside from armada, there's not really any "brick" figures since the end of G2. now almost every figure has shoulder, elbow, neck, waist, leg, and knee articulation, and sometimes more than one joint in each of those positions. although waist articulation is pretty rare in the classic line because of engineering choices.

hit this link and start checking out the galleries: http://seibertron.com/toys/index.php?f_series=39