Explaining Transformers appeal to non fans

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Jan 13, 2012.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

Have you ever had trouble doing this? we shouldn't really have to as its our interest but in life people close to us like say friends, partners or siblings may want to know what they are missing out on. I personally have never known what to show these people to explain what's so cool about it. if I was say for example a star wars fanatic I could easily show them the original trilogy (if they haven't seen them already) as all but the most hateful troll type even if they didn't like it themselves could at least acknowledge why it has an appeal to others.

I am a huge than of transformers but Personally I don't know what to show people to explain its appeal to others as g1 is loveable but has a tendency to break under the weight of adult logic, beast wars is class but its graphics can look a bit rough by today's standards. the unicron trilogy (by my opinion) is a bit too average to show off to anyone. I would say animated or prime out of the tv shows would stand up best to the eyes of the non fans. As for the comics its hard to say what to recommend to others as alot of the best comics tend to be the later firman wrote bits of marvel g1 or the good bits of idw or dreamwave. the problem with recommending these comics like say for example last stand of the wreckers would be that they are so drenched in transformers mythology and homages that its importance might fall flat on a non fan. as for the films the first one is an ok start but I went to see revenge of the fallen with my girlfriend and some of my friends who are non fans that was one of the most embarrassing days of my life. How would you explain the appeal of a franchise in the eyes of the rest of society is there just to sell toys children to non fans?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "They're robots that are also something else, they have endearing characters and they're a figure line with a unique and self-contained gimmick"

3. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

There's nothing really to explain. It's just a matter or personal preference. Kinda like how some people prefer DC comic characters, some prefer Marvel comic characters. Some people like Transformers, some don't find them all that appealing.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't think there is a way to make people fully understand the appeal of the Transformers franchise to us. Truthfully, this is just another hobby people participate in. My mother collects Hallmark ornaments, my Dad collects old bottles, some people collect pet rocks ... I don't expect any of them to try and explain the appeal of their hobbies to me because I'm not going to understand it. They enjoy it? Awesome, keep collecting. It's the same with Transformers. I LOVE everything about giant fucking robots. It's all that matters.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I keep explanations minimal. If it was something they'd really "get" they'd be fans already. I just tell people it's like being into comics or Godzilla, or collectible toy cars... except all at once, together. That usually makes enough sense for reasonable people.

6. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Couldn't put it better myself although I don't see why you would need to explain anything to anyone....everyone has their own dislikes/likes/quirks so whatever floats your boat.

7. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I say if you're a fan of something, great. If you're not, that's cool too. I think trying to convince someone who couldn't care less that Transformers are awesome is like getting me to watch Jersey Shore. It's a futile attempt and I'd just rather they didn't try in the first place.

See how I stealthily snuck in a jab at MTV there? Yeah. I'm smooth like that. Or so I keep telling myself.

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's really nothing to explain. Show them some media and see if they like it. My wife didn't know shit about them when I met her, but she loves the movies and doesn't mind the "Prime" show. It wasn't until we went to see the first movie where she got interested.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's pretty much my take. I don't hide my interest in Transformers at all, but neither am I out looking for converts.

10. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    If I need to explain then nothing I say will probably make them understand!

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I don't even really understand it myself. And truth be told, I think you'd get a different answer from every TF fan that you asked.

For example, I don't really care for the cartoons that much... that was never the main selling point. Sure the G1 cartoon gave me lots of nostalgic sounds and voices, but for me it was always the physical objects themselves, and the personalities expanded in the techspecs/TF Universe. Maybe part of that was that it gave me a universe to work with, but didn't necessarily tell me the stories (which is why I'm more indifferent to the various series)...

I guess a large part of the appeal for me is just a taxonomical interaction with the G1 universe, coupled with a haptic love of neat, well-engineered toys (or "cultural objects" if you want to be academic about it). But for most people, that answer is about as meaningless as "I love kids cartoons" anyway. :) 

zmog

12. Ian_GSi

Ian_GSi Active Member

Huge robots from space that change into cars and planes.

What more can you say :D 

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

"...and tanks, and rhinos, and microscopes, and people, and helicopters, and traffic signals, and dragons, and toasters..."

14. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never needed to explain it. My argument ender has always been "they're robots that transform into cool shit like vehicles & machines... what does YOUR *insert virtually every other toy line name in the world here* do besides just stand there and lift its arms?". Always works like a charm. :) 

15. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

I always explain it as getting two toys in one, a robot action figure that transforms into a vehicle...simple logic for the simple minded. :) 

16. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    If you want to explain it just say that having more toys now equals more money to be made in the future.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    A couple classmates said that they watch the movies to watch sh*t get blown or f**ked up.

18. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    I try to answer all questions about my Transformer collecting patiently, and honestly. It's no different than any other person who collects any other thing....everything from bottle caps to match books to coins. The more akward you are about explaining the fandom, the wierder they'll think it is...
    If they linger and want to know more about the ins and outs of actually collecting TF's then I will oblige with examples of my personal experiences collecting, and the wealth of information available that is provided by our community.
    I will start with trying to paint them a word picture, then gradually move up to google images on the ol' android phone.

19. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I don't have to explain myself to people.

20. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

The OP was using examples from the fiction to try to explain the appeal, but what about the toys by themselves? They're spatial puzzles, kinda like a Rubik's cube, only the goal is to get it from alt-mode to robot and back. You could use the instructions, but try to do it without them first. I've made people see how much fun Transformers are by handing them one I know they'll be able to figure out on their own and saying "do it!"